Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900

I asked at PM and got explained that these two modes tend to have a DC offset from one another, so switching directly between them results in a loud “pop” at the output. To counteract this, they placed a large capacitor on the switch to help smooth the transition. This removes the loud pop but also introduces a slight delay while the capacitor voltage discharges.

have another “issue”

When I alternately play B5 <-> C6 it has a “click” in the sound - also when I play another note in 6 like a D6 and after an A5 - I get this “click” - when I continue and play F5 <-> G5 its away - but when I go back to e.g. C6 I have it again - same happens with B2 and C3 etc…

I did that also with a pure sine - VCA mode - filter open - decay / sustain /release high - to be sure - but the same thing

Also, mine has a slight “MIDI bleeding” if that is the right term - I hear e.g, the pitch bend (light crackling noise) when I use it…

I hope I am the only one with this!?

Thanks

Ummm I’m literally about to buy one of these and this gives me pause. Can anyone else confirm these issues? Maybe a bad batch…

I hope the same --> bad batch …

The rest of the microvolt is just amazing…

I also contacted PM about this - let’s see their reply in the next days - great support there!

1 Like

I’d imagine that’s from the fact that the oscillator is analogue and free running, as in it doesn’t reset to a point of 0 with every midi / cv note command, as is no different than any other analogue synth design. Apart from the few that have oscillator reset as a specific feature like some Moogs do.

It’s certainly not an issue for me anyway.

1 Like

How about the pitch bend MIDI bleed? Does your unit do that? A shop told me they found that was usually do to poor power…

Thank you for your explanation— I see - but I have a lot of analogue synths and never had that specific problem

But if you have that click too with your microvolt and you don’t feel disturbed by it than I am happy for you… :slightly_smiling_face:

Found a video where it shows what I mean - you can hear it from 0:50 on when Perry is hitting the C3 key,…

Fwiw I had the store test midi bleed before shipping and informed them of the clicks. They couldn’t replicate them…

I can deal with those clicks.

Bought. :star_struck:

1 Like

I am very happy for you! Enjoy that great synth!

1 Like

Thanks. Fingers crossed there are no glaring issues and just tooooone.

Fingers crossed that your issues are resolved too!!

thank you :slight_smile:

with some of my settings I don’t hear it at all
with some I do hear it
it is all about with what kind of harmonic / filter / envelope ratio you are working with…

just to clarify, it is not the clicks that can be generated by rapid contours…

anyway, you’ll see how great the microvolt is!

1 Like

I bought thier system 90 when it launched.
Its sounds unreal but is plagued by similar silly problems that do ruin the experience.

Bleed! Yep, audio, power, and midi all seem to bleed in someway, voltage from the power is all over the shop so even the digital DNA osc module just drifts out off pitch every 5 minutes. Its nice sample material but you had better sample something if you like it because it will be gone in 5 minutes.

Its ashame because it sounds incredible. The LPG is also incredible. So im keeping onto it But yeh, im not buying anymore…it streeses me out.

btw Pittsburg has begun a series exploring the 3.9k (akin to what they did with the Voltage Laboratory)

How do you like your microvolt so far?

Id like it a lot better if it were in my hands! :slight_smile: there was a small delay. Will be here soon and report back. Any tips?

1 Like

Oh I see, that is “hard” :slight_smile:
In the case of the microvolt you should not go with any tips - I really think the microvolt needs to be explored by everyone in its own way :slight_smile:
Hope it arrives soon…

1 Like

BONK.

After waiting so long I am_not_ disappointed (on initial impression) This thing is wicked fun.

Pros:

High fun factor: sliders and pots are very playable.
Solid core osc: very straightforward and grounded, sounds great. Folder is very good.
Envelopes for days: between the vca, function and envelope generator, random and lfo there are a ridiculous amount of envelope styles. Really amazing.
Rythmic options: i_love_ that the clock can be separate. Tap in a custom tempo, put the random on something and you can get some wild stuff going. Or tie it to an external signal and divide it. Sick.
Arp: the Arp options are well thought out.

Issues:

Vel wtf: like @goatofneptune said, I find it crazy it does not respond to velocity. Using the envelopes helps in a way but it’s not the same.
OSC stability: also can confirm tuning is off in the upper registers. Not only off but warbles.
Build decisions: the sliders and pots feel flimsy; the blue is a little harsh.
Manual: lacking in areas.
PSU cord length too short.
CV wishes: the multipurpose mult is cool but I wish they had separated it; lord how I wish you could CV control the waveform mixer. Too bad.

The 101 comparisons are apt. But as opposed to imitating it Pittsburg went a different way and made something very unique and a helluva good time.

2 Likes

Finally paired it with my Mother. :zap:

MV into EHX Memory Man XO on left, Mother on right fed a phasey Zoia reverb, returned stereo.

2 Likes

I’ve been selling a bunch of gear and have space for one last synth in my studio which I’ve decided I want it to be something with Wavefolding going through a filter… That new synth by Majella looks pretty good but I’m guessing it’ll likely be outside my price range, The O coast sounds pretty great and I’ve borrowed one from a friend before but it doesn’t have a filter and was quite limited imo which leaves me at the microvolt (which I think maybe actually sound the best of the lot)

I’ve seen some mixed opinions on this one for a number of reasons… Wondering how everyone’s doing with theirs? The build holding up? How bad is the tuning issue? Would love to hear anything anyone has to say :slight_smile: