Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

What is it that you want to achieve “rallying” those samplers together?

I also own both (SP16 & OT) as well as an MPC Live.

I got the SP16 because it is what I wanted the MPC Live to be (in terms of live performance). It’s somewhere between the MPC (16 pads, touchscreen etc) and the OT (live sample mangling / slicing / p-locking etc).

If you are after a sample mangler, happy accidents or just a sampler for live sound design, to me the OT is something really special.

The SP16 is more of a playback machine than the OT but definitely more playable and more sample mangler than the MPC.

If you lay out your use case a little more, I’m sure we’ll be able to give you a more specific recommendation than just reiterating our personal preferences :slight_smile:

The MPC One will probably become a polysynth and run hardware synths via midi. Currently build drum sequences in there as well. It’s a bit of a crossroads for me. I would want the SP for essentially becoming a powerhouse SP-404 that I can run various tracks through all my effects/pedals as I jam. The SP rivals the MPC X for this use.

if I go OT, I will surely use it to mangle and look for happy accidents, as well as run my machines through the inputs along with drums and synths being programmed. I love the scenes and the arranger looks pretty great for assembling jams.

If I could be 85% happy with the SP and save $, I’d probably go that way.
I have long wanted an OT, so that will probably keep calling to me. If the SP-16 cannot have its lights dimmed a lot, I would probably have to skip that regardless.

You explored the Blackbox fully yet? I really don’t think the SP brings all that much if you already got a Blackbox.

less is more, more is less

1 Like

Can’t you just purchase one try it and if you don’t like it return it most dealers have a 30 day return policy.

1 Like

I quite like the Blackbox and feel it is a great utility item. It’s pretty much plain and simple. The lack of effects pushes me over to the other boxes. I use the MPC One to run the BB almost like the two become a psuedo-MPC Live when used together due to the multi-outs. I also sometimes use the Blackbox to sequence the 404. Both of those setups are fun.

This back and forth has me leaning over to the OT to act in numerous ways that can supplement my gear and also add a new level of audio manipulation. I was trying not to spend the money, but I think I need to just jump that way.

1 Like

I made a video just for you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. It appears that would be fine for me.

1 Like

The screen dims quite a lot too

Great details to know.

Do you use a lot of parameter locking? Have you been able to do some quality
sample mangling?

1 Like

Does someone can give me a direct download of the Pioneer Toraiz SP16 Sample DATA (1881.55MB) ?
Link for project is working but reset from factory default need 2 parts Sample Data and Projects

Link is dead :frowning:
https://www.pioneerdj.com/-/media/pioneerdj/downloads/other/sampler/toraiz-sp-16-factory-samples.zip

Edit:
Support send a link for those who looking for :

Sure @monk_1 you right nothing interesting it’s just to have it somewhere in case I didn’t keep the sp16 for whatever reason and need to reset to factory before to sell

1 Like

Factory sample data nothing to write home about tbh.

3 Likes

Yes you can mangle a lot, probably not as much as the OT though, but it’s still fun

Hi there.
I know in the context of Elektron devices… banks and patterns are following.
SO in the elektron ecosystem you are safe for Live Performance.

But when you start to mix brand and different machine it’s start to become a “mmm…”

So people here who have the Toraiz SP16 + Elektron gears … how do you deal with your live performance. ? If the transport and sync are provided. And SP16 can be master or Slave…

How do you progress in your Live if the SP16 as a master don’t send pattern change to elektron ? you have to deal with that pattern change and bank change manually ?

(i understand why it’s not, it’s because of the touchscreen, a touchscreen don’t send anything I guess)

And thus if it is - you have to do it (x) times relative to the different gears who don’t send pattern and bank change ?

Thanks for your insights :wink:

@circuitghost @DonovanDwyer @darenager

1 Like

@William_WiLD I no longer have the SP-16, and you are right when combing a few machines midi can become a bit of a problem to solve, in my case I used a midi patchbay and only used clock sync between Elektrons and SP-16, sorry it isn’t much help.

1 Like

Always used the SP-16 stand alone, except when I recorded into it, so I wouldn’t know. Sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

From the recommendations in this thread I’ve set up the SP to be the master, A4 syncs to that. From there I sequence other synths by CV and midi via the A4 that are then sampled into the SP. For performance I have 2 or more A4 midi tracks going back into the SP for offtime loops, probability etc. Best of both worlds for me.

1 Like

Oh i will end up to take advantage of an ERM Multiclock or SND ACME-4 again… I feel it

1 Like

As far as I know the SP-16 does send program changes when master, so you can tell it to change patterns on the Elektron when you change them on the SP-16

2 Likes

i will investigate that further… for now I do think I have everything enable in the system preferences regarding sending message (same on the A4 in terms of receiving). When I open-up the panel with Scene and Patterns when I click on Pattern 2 (on the touchscreen and I thought then it was obvious no pattern change was transmitted) it doesn’t transmit anything because my A4 doesn’t move on Pattern 2.

Maybe you relate to sacrifice a Pad, put in Midi mode, assign the correct cc at the right time to transmit Program Change to the A4 ?

will try that… but not sure Pattern/Scene to Pattern/Bank change is the same (this sound like to change preset on a synth controlled by the Toraiz in Midi mode) :

which I think is not the same as jumping in my live performance to scene 1 / Pattern 1 to scene 1 /pattern 2 following on time on the A4 and jumping on Bank A/Pattern 1 to Bank A/Pattern 2

we speaking about sequencers progressions patterns and not banks/Presets change (this is program change normally like with an expander)