Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

yep by far

#moneyshot :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes

Not the MK2 IMHO, but I guess it depends if you value slices or not, for slices SP-16 has better handling and stereo sampling, but loses out on sequencer, sound locks, conditional trigs, CV inputs.

Both great machines but pretty different.

1 Like

Depends. The character of the DT is hard to beat, if youā€™re into it. Sequencer is more flexible on the DT and the few effects on board, are better than the SP-16ā€™s, imho.

But the SP shines in a way that just makes you feel good about it, whatever you do with it. The DT wonā€™t always play along and like most Elektrons, itā€™s moody until you know it.

1 Like

This is gonna bite me back, isnā€™t it?:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

yea i have a DT and DN and they are awesome.
Have been looking to expand to either A4, OT or AR as I really like the elektron workflow.
But then the SP-16 kind of threw a spanner in the works as it looks like you can really make some great full tracks etc on that

1 Like

What the SP-16 and the Digis have in common, is that itā€™s very clear on that it canā€™t do everything nor does it even try - but what you can do with it, is more than enough to make complete and fantastic tracks. Since itā€™s more focused than say a modern MPC or to some extent the Deluge, if you gel with it, you work fast with it cause thereā€™s only so many things you can do, and youā€™ll learn to use those to the max to get good shit out of it.

The SP-16 in particular feels like it knows really well what it is and what it isnā€™t, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Digitakt is the same, a very defined and clear instrument that doesnā€™t care about modern day nonsense such as streaming from memory, plenty of disc space and such things :slight_smile: Iā€™m not being sarcastic, I truly appreciate that kind of gear :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can the sp-16 change patterns with other elektron gear?

Donā€™t know, actually. Itā€™s not great at midi. Not bad, but not great. So I wouldnā€™t count on it.

1 Like

Nah, Iā€™m just agreeing with your philosophy - and I walk the same path on the quest for that elusive one stop box :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s not real, man. We gotta let it go. Together, we can make it. I know we can.

2 Likes

Like moths to a candle we are :joy:

1 Like

Aw, f**k, you speak the truth.

But weā€™re resisting the Machine+, right? Right? I know I am. Right? I am, arenā€™t I?

3 Likes

Yeah, I did peep a few videos but was turned off by its computerness :laughing:

Currently trying to resist a MPC One and Force thanks to a 15% discount voucher from ebay, too computery to but I know Iā€™d find the auto sampling side handy, but so far Iā€™m holding strong :laughing:

2 Likes

Hang in there, man. Iā€™d be ready to swear on some kind of holy writing, youā€™d find the MPC One too much of a mess in the end. I know I did :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoying @circuitghost ā€˜s posts praising the SP-16! Youā€™re saying the sort of things that are far more compelling than comparing features - for me at least

1 Like

Thanks, glad to hear it man :blush: yeah, Iā€™ve left the feature comparison-club, never worked for me. If the overall vibe is there, it means thereā€™s enough features in place for magic to happen.

4 Likes

As mentioned before it makes an excellent addition to a one-or-more Elektron box setup, each bringing to the table what the other lacks. I can never again go without the Elektron sequencer workflow, but for all the musical parts that donā€™t require that level of intricacy the SP has so much to bring to the table.

I posed some questions about 300 comments ago. Since then, this thread has really blown up and I have made the SP16 my own and hereā€™s what I like about it:
Sound - Yup! Amazing. The drive on the filter is awesome and I always keep it set at about 50% Your samples will sound their best in this thing.
Effects - I use about 4 or 5 of them, (distortion, bit crush, dual filter, chorus on the master) I like how they sound. Like so many instruments, you get the effects they give you and you use them the way you use them. It sounds like itself. Iā€™d say the MPC Live effects are more radio-ready with a couple of character effects while the SP16 has the character and maybe not the polish.
Workflow - So fast. I have the MPC Live and have become fast with it but the simplicity and purpose of this drum machine is part of its charm.
Live looping - 50/50. Live looping, yes. Fast, effects, noodling and tweaking. However the loops are recorded un-quantized so if you want to use them in another session you have to slide the trigger around and try to get it in sync. I donā€™t do that, Iā€™m not going to start and the un-quantized loop recording bums me out.
LFO - Nice feature to keep things moving but truth be told, when you get the sweet spot right with the effects and the mix, there isnā€™t much use for the LFO. Can route to pan, volume, start position. I also think their CPU-friendly random LFO is really cool.
File management - shrug. Use the USB stick and drag stuff off your computer, nbd. Or sample from the inputs and save it. The tip back in this thread somewhere to save all projects as a package is a good one. If you move the files around, a regular project wonā€™t find them, and thatā€™s annoying. Save as package exports the samples with the project.
Sequencer - Itā€™s no comparison to Elektron. But there are plocks and theyā€™re cool.
Line in - You can route other gear through it and take advantage of that filter.
Touch screen - responsive and looks good so itā€™s a nice backfill to the knobs that are offered. Iā€™ve literally never used the touch strip.
Build - Feels good, super solid, nice controls feel.

The most important thing is it feels like an instrument thatā€™s fun to jam on with controls that come easily to hand and it sounds very good.

7 Likes

Speaking of file management, I like the fact you can export your tracks and wrap the loop. The MPC Live doesnā€™t do that. Maschine does.