Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Any info/pic on the dasz unit? Could only find a YouTube teaser that showed/told nothing at all… [/quote]
I was curious too and went looking.
From their FB page it says “standalone synth and sequencer and more.” From the pic it seems to have 4 indi outs. Don’t think it’s a sampler…but I’d like to be wrong. Support the little guys!

EDIT: the Pioneer looks nice though. Ive been interested in a stand alone sampler. Still waiting to see if anything to that rumoured Roland…[/quote]
Yeah I was one of those dudes getting excited about the ‘leaked’ roland for Namm. Would love to see them bring something current out in Sampler/Sequencer/grooveb0x format… They already have all the tech in v-synth/sp/mv, be great to see them throw it all together in a box with a current/forward thinking OS/UI… [/quote]
Yep they got all the ingredients but do you actually think Roland will put together a product that ISN"T some how critically hampered? Rather naive considering their track record in the last 10 yrs, imo,[/quote]
I’m convinced that there is a guy at Roland HQ who’s one and only job is to cripple products.

• TR8? You can only have 16 patterns.
  • System1? Patch storage? Make it 8
  • MX1? No more then 6 analogue inputs.

… I could go on…[/quote]
The System 1/m has 8 banks of 8 patches since a recent update.

1 Like

More info unveiled from 7mins 28secs onwards

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, wasn’t aware of that.

Interesting to hear him say you can play ‘chords’. Wonder what the polyphony setup is.

Edit. Anyone have experience with Pioneer effects? How do they compare to something like Roland SP series? Depending how the Pioneer unit unfolds gas might hit pretty hard when it’s released…but I’d need to sell a bunch of stuff. Starting to begin to try to weigh up whether to potentially sell sp404 + sp555 + korg microsampler to fund most of it… I need to make some space too so maybe…

Did you notice a lag on the ADSR page?
I know it’s a prototype, but they will probably need to patch that thing for the next year.

Interesting to hear him say you can play ‘chords’. Wonder what the polyphony setup is.

Edit. Anyone have experience with Pioneer effects? How do they compare to something like Roland SP series? Depending how the Pioneer unit unfolds gas might hit pretty hard when it’s released…but I’d need to sell a bunch of stuff. Starting to begin to try to weigh up whether to potentially sell sp404 + sp555 + korg microsampler to fund most of it… I need to make some space too so maybe… [/quote]
I’ve never used a Roland SP, so I can’t compare, but the Pioneer DJM (mixer) series effects, which seem to be the ones included on the SP-16, are pretty good for live stuff. They’re geared towards DJ’s so they’re typically quite obvious and can get a little cheesy after over-use. I don’t like the Reverb very much, but the Spiral (pitch-shifting delay, I believe) sounds pretty awesome on breakdowns if you use it well, and the regular echo & delay sound good when tempo-synced. Solid variety and quality. IMO the DJM-900 effects sound better than my Kaoss Pad KP3.
Except for the filter. I hate the pre-set resonant filter on the DJM-900. It gets really old really quickly. The variable-resonance on the SP-16 is exciting to me.

1 Like

Edit. Anyone have experience with Pioneer effects? How do they compare to something like Roland SP series? Depending how the Pioneer unit unfolds gas might hit pretty hard when it’s released…but I’d need to sell a bunch of stuff. Starting to begin to try to weigh up whether to potentially sell sp404 + sp555 + korg microsampler to fund most of it… I need to make some space too so maybe… [/quote]
I’d chalk that up to alpha-level demo software. As someone who uses their CDJ-2000 NEXUS model every day, I can tell you that Pioneer’s GUIs are pretty darn snappy.
(I do wish they’d let you completely disable transition animations between navigation pages on the CDJs though. I do that with my computer too, speeding up or turning off as many superfluous OS X transition animations as I can via the Terminal.)

It’s been some time since I last used pioneer mixers with the djm800 being the last so couldn’t really comment on the more recent models or the effects. What I’m really looking for is finding out more about is the general workflow of this machine,what operations can be carried out while the machine is playing along with the crucial sampling functionality in conjunction with the sequencer. I’m currently using a native instruments kontrol z2 along with a couple of kontrol d2’s and an f1 but the thought of getting away from a laptop is very appealing.

Edit: added 2 videos:

1 Like

My rytm is brand new and i like it a lot, but i really thinking about bringing it back to the store and waiting for the sp-16. i think for a live gig the sp-16 standalone may more versatile than the rytm.
Hard decision…

it’s up for presale now for 1600 at thomann. there’s also a product page but no manual yet.

I really like the idea of this unit. Pioneer has some nice fx’s on their mixers. Not all are magic but most of them work well. If it can sequence midi other than just clock I think this thing will be a huge hit.

Just waiting for that manual to be released.
High hopes for this thing.

In what part of the instrument are you seeking versatility? Because from what I’ve seen of the sequencer, it isn’t half as capable as Rytm’s.

Also, it’s larger physically than the Rytm, so less ideal for travel.
No macros, less filters, the list goes on and on…

I think it will have soft filters, but only one analog filter.

No macros, less analog filters, the list goes on and on…

There, i fixed it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The question I have is how good it will handle the longer loops and how many samples I can have in the project.
I would like to browse through all my samples and choose which one to load the same way DJ loads his next track.

thats exactely what i expect from the sp-16. if it works like this, then its a killer machine.

My guess would be 8 bars max. I’m thinking loading would be the same as the CDJs.