Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

I have a feeling the filters are on the master. I hope there’s the capability to not affect all sounds with the filters by some sort of routing scheme.

1 Like

I have a feeling the filters are on the master. I hope there’s the capability to not affect all sounds with the filters by some sort of routing scheme.[/quote]
Oh i see. As opposed to the master. Word. A must.

Any info/pic on the dasz unit? Could only find a YouTube teaser that showed/told nothing at all… [/quote]
All I know is this:

and this:

Edit:
and it’s designed by a guy from Live PA community, so it should be a performance machine.

Any info/pic on the dasz unit? Could only find a YouTube teaser that showed/told nothing at all… [/quote]
I was curious too and went looking.
From their FB page it says “standalone synth and sequencer and more.” From the pic it seems to have 4 indi outs. Don’t think it’s a sampler…but I’d like to be wrong. Support the little guys!

EDIT: the Pioneer looks nice though. Ive been interested in a stand alone sampler. Still waiting to see if anything to that rumoured Roland…[/quote]
Yeah I was one of those dudes getting excited about the ‘leaked’ roland for Namm. Would love to see them bring something current out in Sampler/Sequencer/grooveb0x format… They already have all the tech in v-synth/sp/mv, be great to see them throw it all together in a box with a current/forward thinking OS/UI…

They sent out a teaser render of the back panel to the mailing list…

1 Like

They sent out a teaser render of the back panel to the mailing list…

[/quote]
Interesting, looks like it has the option to be 2 separate units?

8gb memory? Hello, it’s 2016.

Bling bling LEDs? Pretty… boring.

DSI filters? Ok, nice to have, but not a must.

Next, please!

Somehow 8gb onboard memory is actually pretty lavish for current hardware…

I have a bad feeling that this box isn’t going to offer Chromatic Sample mode though which is a real shame if that’s the case…

16 engines make me moist :slight_smile:

But im waiting for some demo’s to see if it has pitchenvelopes, lfo’s and the ability to play longer loops, if that is the case though i will probably let my octatrack go and give this a spot next to the AR

Yep, 16 tracks on one unit feels like a new world after so much time on OT and AK lately! It would be great if you can sacrifice tracks in exchange for polyphony. Could have 2 x 4 voice tracks and still have 8 other single voice tracks left over… Doubt it has those kind of options tho…

1 Like

Good points.
I wouldn’t let go of my Rytm in favor of this, though.
Between the probability trigs, Perf/Scene macros, and the delicious goo the 8 analog VCAs and filters impart on even the coldest digital samples, I can’t envision any product kicking the Rytm out of my bed.

But for prospective buyers that don’t own a Rytm, they’ll have many different features to weigh against one another.

From the extended interview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTl4ScMq_0c (and the Pioneer product page) looks like both filters are P6 topography. Nice.

I hope this forces Elektron’s hand on pushing out an Octatrack 2.

At 10.28” x 17.19” it certainly doesn’t have the same portability of the Elektron line. This thing is bigger than the Tempest.

1 Like

I dislike the brushed black metal look less than the neon green border look of the Aira line.
And to be fair, Roland bit the brushed black from Pioneer.

I have a bad feeling that this box isn’t going to offer Chromatic Sample mode though which is a real shame if that’s the case… [/quote]
From what I’ve gleaned so far, the usb stick port lets you import samples into memory, but there is no information yet if it will allow streaming them, like a static machine on OT.
If not, the 8gb would be a bit meagre compared to OT 64gb or even Sp404sx 32gb.
There does seem to be a scale mode for the pads, so chromatic sample playback looks very likely.
Not quite convinced by it all… 8 assignable outs is nice though.

I have a bad feeling that this box isn’t going to offer Chromatic Sample mode though which is a real shame if that’s the case… [/quote]
From what I’ve gleaned so far, the usb stick port lets you import samples into memory, but there is no information yet if it will allow streaming them, like a static machine on OT.
If not, the 8gb would be a bit meagre compared to OT 64gb or even Sp404sx 32gb.
There does seem to be a scale mode for the pads, so chromatic sample playback looks very likely.
Not quite convinced by it all… 8 assignable outs is nice though.
[/quote]
Good point re memory. Yeah if you can’t stream from USB then OT and SP have it whipped there…
I didn’t even click with the ‘scale’ thing meaning likely chromatic mode. I thought it would be the same ‘scale’ as on Elektron boxes (sequence length related), hope you’re right :wink:

MMh for “dj s”, seems like it just got one high/lowpass p6 filter for everything, sounds pretty limited. I mean a standalone sampler, maschine style, isnt bad, but for 1500$ …

Yes it’s a pair of HPF and LPF from the Prophet 6 for stereo mains operation. So more of a filter effect than anything.

$1600 for parallel filters on the 2 buss only? No Deal for me…

Somehow I can’t see this being a sound designer’s wet dream.

It’s an accessory to their CDJS. Too bad. Could they change it in a firmware edit?
Next in line, please.

Sonic state messe vid. 8gb ram for ‘processing’ and 8gb storage. Effects from pioneer dj gear. Not much other info really. Hard to say how this is gonna end up. Maybe they’ll take it somewhere. Not sure what nick is on about when he gushes ‘oh £1300, great, very competitive’… Against what?! That would make it the most expensive sampler out there right now no? For that much money I’d expect it to blend OT (minus some of the endless depth… Would be very surprised if pioneer would know where to begin :wink: + mpc (polyphonic chromatic etc). But get the feeling it’s going to be pretty minimal for workflow features and depth and you’re paying the surplus for flashy pads and touchscreen. Guess we’ll see…

They mention this is the start of a product line tho so maybe they’ll do better than roland and korg (deserted sp series, lame new electribe…) and nail something great next generation if this one doesn’t deliver and forum suggestions reach their ears…

Anyway …

until we see the real thing (workflow was a great plus for the MPC), it’s great to see that somebody thinks about stand-alone performance samplers again :wink:

Hopefully this will stir up others and generate more products in the near future.