Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Awesome!

Update on the electrical buzzing caused by possible current leakage / no earthing over at the Pioneer forum: https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/213805323-Toraiz-SP-16-Faulty-Unit-Electric-Charge-On-Chassis-

righteous

Can you chose the default slice that plays when you hit a pad? So for example if I have a break with 16 slices can I assign 1 slice to each pad for finger drumming without being in slice mode?

Hmm dont think so, I didnt try this, its a good one though. but you can assign individual slices to a place in the sequence (like on the octatrack).

Pioneerguy didnt keep his promissā€¦ its taking tooooooo long, ā€œcouple of daysā€ is allready overā€¦

No slice to 16 levels?

Donā€™t know exactly what you mean by that. The slices are already devided over 16 pads. But I donā€™t know if you can reorder them. So slice 5 on pad 1 and so onā€¦

Someone might interested by the New Akai MPC LIVE and waiting for it rather than buying Toraiz.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/new-standalone-mpc/32978/32

2 Likes

New Toraiz OS 1.2 manual. looks like the update is imminent.

Includes midi IO with 4 note chords & Midi CC control, slice point control, LFO per pad with multiple destinations, more insert effects including compressor, delay, distortion and bit crusher.

http://docs.pioneerdj.com/Manuals/TORAIZ_SP_16_TORAIZ_SP_16_addendum_Firmware_Ver12_Operating_Instructions_EN_addendum/?_ga=1.212833431.285850503.1479296611

Im going to buy one and sit it right next to my toraiz replacing my MPC :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there anything particular about the Toraiz that makes you wanna keep it and add the MPC Live? Instead of just focusing on the new MPC (all being well with OS etcā€¦) when you get it?

Just that there seems like a lot of overlap on those two boxes, but with the MPC possibly besting in nearly all areas? Guess its too early to really compare and form opinions tho. And also looks like you like to run a few samplers/drum machines in your setup anyway so I guess itā€™s not an ā€˜either, orā€™ decision :wink:

They have a different way of working, feel, FX and sound Iā€™m imagining. Just like you keep 2 different synths why not keep 2 different pad based boxes too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Totally valid :slight_smile: should be a nice combo.

2 Likes

This new firmware is cool now we can talk @AikiGhost : could you verify if recording automation on FX was implemented in this firmware I didnā€™t see anything on thatā€¦ thatā€™s THE deal breaker for me to not be able to record automation on FX.

The battle between MPC Live and TORAIZ will be hard. I will doing a full comparative studies before to choose one or the other

1 Like

I have more faith in Pioneer because Akai have a habit of fumbling up the OS. Iā€™d love to be proven wrong though.

2 Likes

Keep me updated on this. That MPC Live looks like a dream-come-true if it can do all the things the 1000 can do but with a streamlined workflowā€”and ideally louder output

3 Likes

Wonā€™t it basically be a straight port from the current MPC Touch OS (+ the v2 features)? Probably pretty easy to find opinions on that already? Looked pretty good from what I saw but Iā€™ve been holding off researching it properly til itā€™s confirmed that the Live will do polyphonic tracksā€¦

I donā€™t know. Iā€™m just basing my opinion on my experiences with the MPC 1000/500/5000.

MPC 1000 with JJ OS was on point though.

3 Likes

I suppose the state of the 5000 OS means they werenā€™t inspired for any improvements to their OS from JJOS?