Pioneer Toraiz SP-16

Ok, thanks. Didn’t pick that up, but that sounds great.

Very cool, thanks. P-locks for me don’t have to be endless like Elektron’s stuff, but I’d expect something along the lines of at least the Circuit (a bunch of parameters of your choice, though a reasonable limit). I think it’ll come down to the way they look at the users for this instrument. P-locks are a very typical composing / structural feature for me, where you want control over complex shifts in the sound without having to resort to laser ninja skills in playing the instrument live. But for the super DJ, that’s one of their traits, so we’ll see.

1 Like

The wait is over, I ordered a second OT for myself instead :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll wait until you can send chords to an external synth.

I don’t own it.
But maybe someone from our community already have and can review ?

edit:
OK sorry I was not able to find this topic somehow (search doesn;t work properly ? :))

First demo videos are coming through now. Looks serviceable but I will have to get some hands on time with one to try the pads, knobs, slider, fx etc.

Yikes! Only 4 fx. This really seems less MPC and more like a 2000$ 404

3 Likes

One of the reps about a month ago said they intended to add all the FX in the RMX500 series effects unit, I hope that turns out to be accurate.

So who’s selling theirs on the marketplace already? Oh!

1 Like

Looks pretty promising to me after watching some vids on youtube. Looks like they adopted their own version of P-Locks, It seems to have nice pads and well having that analog filter to push everything through is just nice. Plus that touch screen as long as its responsive enough would create a nice quick workflow. I have way too much shit so I won’t be picking one of these up anytime soon but if I was looking to try a new sampler I’d probably try the Toraiz

I won’t be buying one but at least the interface/touch screen looks responsive

So it looks like what Elektron calls a “KIT” - Pioneer calls a “SCENE”.
Though slightly different, as a SCENE also appears to be a pattern bank.

Each “Project” has 16 SCENES.
Each SCENE holds 16 Patterns.

2 Likes

Wish gear manufacturers could settle on a naming convention for this kind of stuff. Managing data over several different machines can become extremely confusing :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

When the guy first started talking in that video I immediately thought “why is comedian Nick Stewardson doing presenting a sampler?!”

I just quit my restaurant gig, to have just one job instead of two. So, I can absolutely wait for these things to go used. Would like to try it though.

1 Like

I doubt I would like it though. It might be super convenient, but I think I might actually dislike the high tech, touch screen with great graphics. That might be where it loses me. The charm with elektron, is it’s sorta low tech reading. It awakens a younger me that is still playing the first gameboy. That being said…those individual outs, though. Like…functionality wise…it looks like an OT with velocity pads and individual outs. <3

I’m so conflicted.

Oh man learning the names of tracks and samples etc in the octatrack coming from an MPC is brutal!

The thing I dislike is the seeming lack of layering of samples! That’s the biggest draw for me on my MPC.

I’m still new to the MPC world. I timidly recorded my first vinyl sample into it just last night(I’m new to the vinyl world as well) ignorantly jamming out with that one sample was overwhelmingly fulfilling to a degree that greatly surpassed the maschine(also, the maschine just seems so dainty and delicate to the beast that is the MPC 2500, I couldn’t get comfortable REALLY using those velocity pads on it). I finally purchased my jjos license tonight

The reason I say this is…what is this sample layering you speak of? Like overdubbing? Resampling? And do you know a good resource for uncovering all of the potential of the MPC?

I also own an octatrack and I don’t fear any overlap owning both. The mpc I feel is best laid out for really tapping into the soul of the sample, while the octatrack you can’t really harness the soul of the sample, but you can take it into space. I’m loving both very much. Only two years ago, I timidly approached sampling not understanding how one makes music with it. And now it’s my favorite method of creation.

1 Like