Pioneer DJS-1000

Hey 78RPM,

I’m actually picking up the unit today, for some reason, it took a wee while for the store to get it ordered and in stock, so I’ll defo let you know how I get on.

Cheers

2 Likes

Just ordered a DJS 1000 and adding the Roland TR-8s! The combo with my Korg ES-1 should be delicious!

d2ba
Your setup sounds sick!

Post some tracks!

1 Like

My first 24 hours with the djs 1000 has been a blast.
The workflow is FAST, really fast and the build quality puts the Akai mpc live to shame imo.
The pads and touch display are absolutely top notch and the unit feels like it is built to last.

Hopefully, pioneer adds some sort of song mode to the device and also some more effects.

Loving it so far :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hopefully Pioneer provides a good long awaited update for my SP-16 in June as promised

3 Likes

Hi all, Pioneer have provided me with a DJS-1000. I have made a few videos of it now that you may find interesting, full tracks, drones, soundscapes etc.

You can definitely produce full tracks on it, it sounds great and the limitations help you to get things done rather than become stagnant in a world of options.

I also have an AS-1, SP-16 and other stuff on the way from them so this playlist will increase significantly in the next few months:

Cheers, TD

6 Likes

Wow great thread! So much so I got off the fence and bought one today!

So far so good - the goal is mainly live use with accapellas and percussion over tracks.

1 Like

Great videos!

Hey DJS and SP16 users, how is everyone doing with their gear?

I am honestly torn between keeping the DJS or trading it in for a SP16 or an OT2.

The main reason for this trade is because I am looking to perform live more and DJ less.

Currently I use a rytm for drums, a digitakt for bass and chords, and a digitone for drones and pads.

I like the size better on the SP16 and for it to be the brain, and having more outputs would be sweet. It could possibly replace the digitone in my setup.

Had mine a week, went for it after lots of thinking, reading and exploring other options. I’m happy so far, it’s limitations and focus seem to work well for me in the context of its ease of use etc as many have commented. An OT is still on my list but it’s not a comparable machine imho, a magical box nonetheless though.

Keep the DJS and buy an OT?

Thanks for the quick response. I used to have an OT years ago and I mostly used it as a mixer for the rytm and an a4. I foundvthst I was massively under utilizing it, but after a few years of using elektron gear I feel like I might be ready for try number two… buuuut the DJS is so easy to use:)

1 Like

Hey there do you lnow if the DJS can use its input as a through machine - have audio just olay through it on one of the 16 tracks? If so can that track’s audio be rendered?

1 Like

Yes I believe it can, set track status as a through track . I haven’t tried it yet but the setting was explained in the @Tubedigga intro beginners vid

1 Like

Thank you so much😊 I will go rewatch his videos.

1 Like

Djs heads , had a issue getting some sample pack loops to loop nicely , some work well, some glitch a bit on the loop point, more noticeable with breaks, any suggestions ? @Tubedigga, you experienced this?

1 Like

For the DJ:-

Performance Techniques

For the Producer:-
Ableton to DJS-1000!

Elektron style Parameter Locks per step!
Step modulation, as it’s formally called on the DJS-1000, allows you to change a parameter for the duration of the sample triggered on that step. If there is no sample triggered on that step, then the step automation lasts for the duration until the next step trig.
Simply navigate to the page that has the parameter you wish to automate, hold down a step, and twist the desired knob. Optionally you can change the trigger type from it’s default FULL mode (triggers the sample, amp envelope, and any step modulation) to HALF mode (triggers the amp envelope and step modulation only) or PARAM mode (triggers the step modulation only)

4 Likes

A shame this thread has got lost in the vaults, with the renewed interest in the SP-16, but the SP-16 thread has revived my use of this again after playing with the Blackbox for the last 7+ months on and off. In truth really, i’ve been mostly biking all Summer and barely touched any music making gear, but the Blackbox has been my go to device due to it being convenient to use in the living room.

3 days of use in the last 4 days and i’m really enjoying making music again.

Had a look through Youtube for new content and this has caught my eye. Multisampling the easy way for those of us with daws

3 Likes

Hmmm, thankfully this isn’t likely to be a masterpiece, but I save everything just in case it leads to something else. Tried a few times to save now, even using different names and it won’t render either.

Any ideas? I don’t want to switch it off just yet and it’s not important enough to record as an audio track.

@Jigs, This looks like the behaviour you’d get if the DJS thinks your USB storage device is no longer connected or something more fundamental has fallen over in the operating system. You’re most probably facing a restart.

Out of interest, can you see the other Projects on your USB device listed if you go to the OPEN>USB menu?

Also, does that error appear as soon as you go to PROJECT>SAVE / SAVE AS or only after you’ve clicked on the SAVE button in the dialogue box that appears with the ‘Save Current PROJECT as:’ and ‘Save To:’ fields?

1 Like

@Jigs Another thing you could try is re-saving the samples individually and see if that cleans up the in-memory representation of the Project.

To do this

1. go to the top level PROJECT view (press PROJECT button twice) where you can see all the samples
  2. Enter the sample by tapping on it
  3. Tap the SAMPLING / EDIT button
  4. Tap SAVE CHANGES
  5. Add a character to the end of the name in the ‘Save As:’ field (the DJS-1000 displays a REPLACE button which suggests you can simply overwrite but that has never worked for me :roll_eyes:)
  6. Tap SAVE

Once you’ve done that a few times, try saving the Project again. It’s a long shot but worth a try.

1 Like

Thanks CitizenJ,

I should have updated last night, but after I recorded a few interesting ideas from the project to Audacity last night, I switched off life support and checked the stick.

2.2mb left on it. Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 00.39.28