Pioneer DJS-1000

Last one. I promise :wink: It’s really hard NOT to make stuff with these things

https://m.soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-0108-djs-sample

1 Like

No, please keep them coming. It’s clear you’re having fun and the results are putting a smile on this Elektronaut’s face.

2 Likes

Just wondering why did you go for the DJS-1000 over the toraiz? Guess you have the Pioneer CDJ to go with it?

Honestly, I went with the DJS 1000 because of DJ Frankie Bones’ Instagram LOL! And he’s right. In my opinion, it’s been a game changer. BUT.

I am exchanging it for the Toraiz. I love love love the DJS, but it’s ergonomically not the best for studio use. It’s “kind of” of a challenge to sit down with it. You have to stand up or sit on a bar stool, which I have. I just hope I don’t lose my flow with the Toraiz…

Small rant: Elektrons would be this cool to me if they’d allow you to some how lock the pattern select mode. That Bank + Pattern kills me. Don’t know why. Just does.

In the meantime, here’s how the DJS is sitting

2 Likes

Thanks man! Just little jams. Maybe someone will want to collaborate and they’ll become actual tracks

I’ve been playing Frankie’s records since I started DJing in ‘97 and following him since ‘93 when I went to my first rave. Call me a sucker, but if it works for him, it’ll work for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Was (am) a big fan of Bones, Heart and Adam X. My brother bought me back a Sonic Groove Tshirt from a visit to the store and 20 years on it’s still a prize possession. Might need to take a trip down memory lane with some records later now you’ve brought them to mind :smiley:

Also on GS

Now with the SP-16. The DJS does mutes per pattern but has no sends or master fx. The flow is better with the DJS. But the SP sounds a little better with that drive and filters. Ugh.

One has to go back.

https://m.soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-sp16-trialrun

I started this with the SP-16

2 Likes

These are some seriously nice grooves. Do you have any finished tracks released somewhere?

Thanks, appreciated! To tell you truth, I wouldn’t know where to start to get a track released. I imagine I have a lot more work to do to get better at making beats. But it’s fun though! Super fun actually

1 Like

Adonis here too.:grinning:

I just bought a DJS last month myself and I gotta say its a magical piece of gear. The realtime processing chip puts this bad boy above the competition. Its where all standalone samplers should be at today. You are hardly or never hassled with menus or multi-step proceedures, it wants you to make beats. Its unreal and I messed with a lot of samplers since 1995, nothing like it.

I have a feeling Pioneer will be dropping a flagship sampler this NAMM. If they can put all these goodies of the DJS and Toraiz in one unit and expand on all its limits, they will dominate the game. But just my speculation. Rumors that a Toraiz MKII is behind the curtains. We’ll see.

1 Like

Had a SP-16 and sold to buy an MPC-X (as it turned out the MPC-X is unloved sitting in its box) using a pair of Octatrack MK2s instead -----Im really curious about the DJS —tell me why you bought it?

1 Like

Before the new MPCs were announced, I was set on buying the Toraiz back in 2016, but the excitement for a new MPC overwhelmed that decision, so I bought the MPC Live instead.

Then a friend of mine at mpc-forums made an interesting post about the SP-16, it wasn’t your usual praise the product banter but like a discovery he found and how its streamlined and almost Roland-like. Now, I was a big fan of the BOSS/Roland SPs, had all of them and an MV8800 but had sold them all to fund the MPC Live and Digitakt. Reading his post made me even more curious like “if I didn’t bought the Live, how would this fit in my workflow?”

Now fast forward to December 1st, 2017. I just got news of the DJS (just came out of recovery from a hurricane) From the feedback everyone was saying its a Toraiz in a CDJ so I thought it would be cool to own the latest model.

Thats the real reason really. But I did not anticipate it to be such a game changer.

I don’t know if the Toraiz has the realtime processing chip like the DJS, but you can have a beat running, sample some vinyl and chop it as it plays in, add those chops to the beat playing, timestretch/pitch-tune the samples and edit them while the beat never stops. Its a DJ sampler all around but in the studio its the most powerful sampler I ever laid hands on. Its everything I ever wanted. Like I tell everyone, its a magical piece and I’m thinking about selling my Live at this point.

2 Likes

thanks so much —think I’m gonna sell my MPC-X and get a DJS

Does DJS does not have a 32 sec sample limit like my old SP-16 --this is unclear to me looking at specs on Pioneers Site?

1 Like

The Toraiz SP16 is upgraded to 64sec in its last firmware update. The DJS still keep the 32 sec limits …

2 Likes

What William said.

Thats what I forgot to mention in my previous post, that the DJS is a DJ sampler and not focused on studio production. Its lacks 8 outs and lacks a Song mode. Other than that, its a beast and I use it in the studio, I really don’t mind the lack of outs, like I said, I come from the SPs and the MVs which have only one out standard and I never used a song mode so it was right for me.

1 Like

I’d love to see a video man. I looked around on YouTube, but I can’t get a clear idea of how this thing works in a production setting. Sounds powerful though based on your description.

What is this “real-time processing chip”? Never heard of it before. The mk2 unit rumour was spread by someone who is a known troll; it’s not a good idea to keep spreading the rumor.

Imo the SP-16 is the more desirable unit for many reasons, including build quality; it has metal, whereas the DJS is entirely plastic. It sounds better too. The DJS version is better for incorporating into a DJ rig.

Apparently real time sampling is still coming to the toraiz. The more the toraiz becomes a pariah instrument the more I like it, it’s so pleasant and frustrating at the same time, just like the Octatrack and the tempest. Hopefully DJS sales encourage the pioneer dev team to get the toraiz firmware finished up.