Pictures Of Gear

As for construction? Pretty simple! There’s a regular x-brace keyboard stand below, then I picked up one of these ‘thorn holder’ (?) dual laptop stands and made a few mods. Drilled holes into the base so that I could mount it securely to the plywood board under the keys, zipcut the support bars down to the depth of the tabletop units, slapped on all the foamie scratchguards that came with the stand, (cut the round ones so they sit against the front of the units instead of under the base), and voila! Love having the OT up in my face and keys down at playing height. Only downside is the vertical bar makes the AR knobs tricky to get at with the right hand. I could tilt it up more but I like the level surface for pad playing.

Working on my live set right now, it involves a bunch of guitar and I think this will make for a more for a more ‘transparent’ and interesting to watch setup than being hunched over a table.

http://www.acedivisioninc.com/Double-Laptop-Stand.html

2 Likes

My current setup :

I reduced the amount of machines to focus more on each one.

12 Likes

nice photo!!! Macbeth Elements :wink:

Looks like a very fun room! Any trouble keeping things synced? Do you try and sync your machines to Ableton? Liking the Keystep - any bugs or glitches for you? Could I write any more questions? :grin:

Thanks!

Yes, Ableton is the master - sync is really pretty tight - everything runs when I press play on the Push. A little compensation in Ableton and I’m all good.

The Keystep is fantastic, I love it. I am mainly just using it to play/sequence the JU-06 at the moment. Love the arpeggiator and its hold mode.

noise room

2 Likes

Whats the thing with the big screen above the octatrack ?

I like this , humanely chaotic, not a sterile room :slight_smile: .

Allen & Heath Qu-Pac

My little place.

PC is back side.

2 Likes

@HCM Cool! What’s the shelving system that holds the second tier of Elektron devices - MnM, etc.? Looks like a perfect fit. Custom build?

Nice. Similarly, I have been thinking about getting Keystep to control my JX-03.

1 Like

No bugs that I’ve experienced. I was watching one of @cuckoomusic videos - I think where he was jamming with the Keystep and Una Corda and he seemed to have an issue where the sequencer would go a bit funny and he had to power off the unit to correct it, but I’ve not had that myself. That might be a USB MIDI thing, which I haven’t so far used.

I’m not a keys player, but I find the Keystep really nice to play in my own limited way - plus it has aftertouch and velocity. I think it pairs really well with the little Roland Boutiques - the arp and sequencer really are very intuitive and can lead to interesting, spontaneous results. It has limitations, but often that’s a bonus - and it really is a steal for the price. I can’t think of another decent MIDI keyboard with proper MIDI I/O (as opposed to just USB) in that price range, and that’s before the arp/sequencer/chord mode etc. are considered.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a nice bit of kit. I think it would be perfect for including in a live dub techno rig like I am thinking of building. Just for sequencing little simple chord progressions, etc. Almost got one on Black Friday. But I’m split between ordering one now or waiting to see if they do a Keystep Pro, like they did with the Beatstep.

Oh yes absolutely, it would be great for that. You can do a chord stab, then hit rest a few times and do another stab and so forth - you could end up with some nicely syncopated results.

A Keystep Pro is an interesting notion. What would it consist of? Extra sequencing lanes? A full-sized keyboard? The Keystep’s form factor is one of its most appealing aspects to me.

Yep. I think something like this will be a key for enabling me to do a Dub Techno hardware-based live set. I’m not a great keys player either, by any means, but I could bang in a few minor triads and be good to go. :relieved: Got me GAS’ing now.

Good questions. I’m guessing added lanes would be the biggest benefit. And larger keys. But you’re right, for playing live the smaller size would be a plus. Hmmm. Would be neat to be a fly on the wall at Arturia and see what’s cooking. They seem pretty busy these days. Might be waiting a while for a Keystep Pro. NAMM and Messe are right around the corner though.

My little hole. Come on Heat Overbridge, theres enough cables as it is.

6 Likes

I 'm modifying a common and cheap keyboard stand.(Hercules Stands)
I do simple woodworking and painting and making what I want. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah that was a weird bug. I don’t think it was something I did. It seemed like it was the sequencer. It has never happened again. I like it too. The keybed is nice.

1 Like

Killing two birds with only one stone.

3 Likes