Pickup machines - whats the big deal?

what makes this even better is that you can slice the flex track you are using to record and then generate infinite variations by recording that onto itself. Since it’s sliced it will re-slice the slices all the time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

woah woah woah…

run that by me again? a little more detail this time please… :slight_smile:

This thread is reminding me I’ve spent way too little time with my OT past few months since I patched everything in to a bay and have been too lazy to disconnect and use it around the house around my kids etc. Op-1 purchase has also been a nice distraction :wink: Also reminding me that in spite of my mind ALREADY being blown I’ve only covered about 50% (max…) of what it can do :slight_smile:

This is kinda why I started this thread, partly because I was unsure whether I had understood the pickups fully, but also to gain more insight (and spread the knowledge) about how to exploit the “boring” flex machines and the devilishly elegant record/playback trig universe of the awesome that is the :elot: - by matching (and even going beyond) what is possible with the pups.

Thanks again for all the great tips and tricks so far! That overdubbing flex slices tip especially is giving me lots to think about.

Well I only had the :elot: for a couple of weeks, so I might not be the best person to explain that. But I have experimented a bit with the flex machines and having the output of the recording flex track feed back into the recorder (which essentially gives you overdub capabilities). Now, since you can prepare a flex track to have trigs of all sorts and you can even already slice a recorder sample, even prior to actually sampling into it, this lends itself for some really interesting live sample mangling.
So if you have a track set up so that it will record and play what it is recording, and you set trigs up so the playback will not be linear, you can then feed the output of that track back into the recorder using a variation of the xfader transition trick (the position of the fader will determine how much signal will feed back into the track). The output of the recording track will be sampled and then played back, but since you have placed trigs in a way that the track will not play linearly, but in a “sliced-up” fashion, you can keep scrambling the signal during overdubs.
Add to this that you can add fx and modulations and you get quite a bit of stuff to play with!

4 Likes

What’s good to use as a MIDI pedal, guys? I want to get into some hands-free pickup machine action.

check this thread:

3 Likes

Cheers!

That is sick. I didn’t know a recording slot retains sliced behaviour on the newly recorded material.

One thing to keep in mind : it doesn’t deal well with changing the tempo, unfortunately!

2 Likes

Finally managed to experiment with some of the insights in this thread. Lets just say I am having a honeymoon with the :elot: right now, very happy about the purchase! Calling it a sampler is so misleading it aint even funny :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes