Picking up an OT tomorrow :))

Thanks! With a midi processor this will be a beast for self program changes madness.

2 Likes

Yeah, one day I’ll get a bome box and get some wild stuff going on.

(Off topic) What’s better with Bomebox ? I have almost too much midi processors but I’m curious about it.
@KaOsphere Curious about Event Processor Plus ? (Audiofanzine :wink:)
Retrokits RK002 has a new firmware, a lot of possibilities.

Yeah, For A Long Time I had the alternate outs patched to a stereo filter and then back in to a free stereo channel, so I could route any ocombination of mixer channels through it whenever I wanted. lately I’ve been using it to do drum submixes because I usually prefer mixing drum machines to stereo OTB and it has a good sound for that, for my purposes at least.

1 Like

Just took the plunge ! Audiofanzine post, nice catch ! :smiley:
I did not think to ever get any reference to this post…Ever !

Regarding the RK002, I had one a while back to pair with the volca fm and as soon as I started to configure it the way I wanted, I just ran into s***loads of bugs…

Geritt has been really responsive and even sent me some Beta firmware before release corrected bugs I reported them.

But between all the bug I encountered and the hassle of uploading the firmware on that clunky web interface, I sold the cable with the volca and made my own simple processor in Usine Hollyhock…

I’m pretty sure their product is more polished by now !

For me, time for something exclusively OTB !

1 Like

Its been a while since I was heavy into Bomes, but it’s basically a customizable midi translation.
Anything you send IN, can be translated to ANYthing else OUT.
For example, I could build a preset for my keyboard on say midi channel 15, I could make note C-3 on press,
set effects values on the AR A4 and OT,
play various sample tracks,
apply pressure to a AR perf pad,
and adjust perf values on the A4,
on release, go back to where it left off.

Thats an elaborate example, but it would be possible.
I would probably end up doing stuff like making various notes/channels from a keyboard, do different things.
Ch 11 might, play a flange or a comb filter, or both with reverb on a few keys.
Ch 13 might be like a keyboard split, one octave playing A4 sound, another octave playing OT samples, another octave playing a bassline on the A4, use the velocity to change other parameters.
Set up conditional midi trigs on the OT, to perform vast functions.

Sorry to go off topic

1 Like

maybe look in to an Axoloti board, setting up some pretty sophisticated MIDI processing programs for it should be relatively painless if you’re already using Usine.

Mods ? :wink:

1 Like

So when people speak of doing like full hour long sets they’re not importing a bunch of different songs but more so shorter loops from the song

8 mins sounds like it could hold maybe 2-4 songs max.

Tbh I was planning on just importing a bunch of songs in there and using the cross fader to mix and add a little bit of efx for performing live. I know it’s really not much you can do with that and it would be more dj’ng than performing but that’s ok by me

I guess my alternative would be to just use the Octatrack as a mixer live and bring some other gear that has full songs on it but that’s a lot of gear to tote around. Was hoping I could just rock with one OT

Your starting to diverge off from my department here…

The OT can be used for many things, and in many different ways. I use it mainly for looping 4 to 32 bar loops captured live from me playing instruments. I play these loops over Rytm patterns and have the OT setup to sample and warp Rytm as well. I make scenes for mixing and effects, and I make patterns full of flex remixes to warp the live loops that I record. I use the midi sequencer occasionally when I want stuff super tight that I can’t play on the keys, and I really only have a few pre made samples loaded that I launch over my jams…

Many people build tracks on the sequencer using various short one-shot samples instead of long backing tracks, this would use much less ram. There’s the static machines though which can be used for long tracks…
I’m sure there’s multiple ways to approach the OT for what you would like to do, and eventually you’ll land on a way that works best for you… Other nauts can advise you better in this area…
There’s really a bunch of ways to use it…

2 Likes

There’s so many ways.
However with the record times, Open_Mike is referring to how much the record buffers hold.
Yes lots of people are importing lots of stuff.
How long you can make an OT set is entirely up to you.

Sooo could I potentially import either through the card or through the live inputs let’s say 1 hr worth of beats and remix it that way or would it have to be shorter stems of the beats

They dont have to be shorter.
Static Machines read from the card, so as much as you can fit into 128 static slots really.

1 Like

+1
not only I like reading manuals (or actually, learning new devices :nerd_face:) - I also enjoy designing MIDI templates/layouts for my controllers… I have tons of setups / MIDI layouts on notebooks

So it’s pretty much based on how big ur cf card is?

Hey bro I really appreciate all ur help tho. It’s been insightful

1 Like

If I were you I’d probably try a couple things to get acquainted with the OT…
-Drop some of your stems on the cf card and see what you can do just launching them on static tracks and mixing and adding fx with the fader…
-drop some one-shots on there and try sequencing them on flex machines…
-drop some loops on there of a bar to four bars and play around with those…

After seeing how you can flow with these you may like one way or another, or prefer a combination of them…

There really isn’t a general “do it like this” for the OT… You can take other people’s methods to help get you going but there’s always room to deviate and make your own flow…

It could be as simple as playing some static tracks and mixing and adding fx, or as complex as breaking everything down to isolated patterns each with there own scenes set up for variation and using the arranger to play your song back while at any time being able to jump out of the arranger and improvise or launch into crazy resampling remixes that you programmed and then jump back into the arranger…

I recommend taking it easy, trying a few methods, and just exploring the OT in general for a bit and not be to worried about setting it up the exact perfect way from the start, because odds are you’ll end up changing your mind a few times as you learn what the OT can do…

3 Likes

Yes.

Still though, there’s more ways to think about it.
For example, you could use 4, 6 second loops to make an hour long song if you wanted.

You right I think if anything it will be a combination of everything mentioned. I’m still kinda intimidated by the thing so I’ve only played with it once so far.

I think ideally I’d probably do a combination of a few different things to keep the set interesting for the listener and even for me.

It’s just gonna take some time to get to know it a little better but man it feels good to have it. I’m capable of doing a lot things I couldn’t before it’s gonna be fun.

1 Like

Yea like mike was saying I think it’s better to try n approach with a combination of a few different methods.

For now ima just focus on making beats. And getting to learn the machine a little more