Phasing ala Reich, Riley, Glass

Yeah you’re absolutely right, like I was saying I’m not that familiar what kind of workflow (?) is best for these kinds of things. Another feature you could have a look at is scale per track – yet another thing that I’m not that familiar with :crazy_face:

But the way I understood it, is you could utilize the scaling options to scale, let’s say a 32 step sequence down to the length of a normal 16 step sequence. So if you’d take a 31 step sequence and scale it around, maybe it amounts to a 15.5 step sequence length. Maybe this might even work further with compressing down 63 steps.

Hard to describe, I hope you get what I mean.

I appreciate your ideas! You are helping me dig in and try things and even if it doesn’t do exactly what I want, it helps me to better understand what the machine can do.

I wasn’t very clear on the scaling functionality and now I think I understand it better and it’s a very useful tool. However, it also doesn’t seem to help in tightening the phase times between tracks. The “resolution” is still 64 steps.

I’m thinking this would require an update to either allow track lengths to include a partial steps (e.g. 63.9/64) or allow separate BPM per track.

Phasing experiment.
3 tracks on the Rossum Assimil8or playing single cycle waveforms sequenced by the cirklon.
3 cirklon tracks driving the 3 A8r tracks all playing an identical pattern.
Track 1 is like the master running with 0 tick offset in the Cirklon Reich setting. No FM set in the A8r
Track 2 is running with +1 tick offset in the Reich setting, and track 1 FMing it at max setting.
Track 3 is running with -1 tick offset in the Reich setting, and track 1 FMing it at max setting.
The idea being you get the timing offset for the note triggering, but also a phased offset to the FM sync introducing some different timbres.

2 Likes

…that phasing ala reich repetative pattern magic is based big time on it’s compositional inner content…

and yes, u can achieve stuff leaning towards this by cheating with different arp lines on all elektron boxes that offer an arp option…
by unmatching measures on at least two motives running against each other with a harmonic content that compliments each other in the “right” way…

I’ll be sure to consult the rulebook next time.

4 Likes