PGCH not working with specific external gear

Dear all,

I recently bought a Squarp Pyramid (I don’t know whether anyone is familiar with this French piece of beautiful complication) but I have huge issues trying to make my Rytm Mk I respond to the PGCH messages sent by the Pyramid

Settings on RYTM:

• Midi input: MIDI + USB
  • AUTO Channel 14
  • PGCH channel: AUTO
  • Receive PGCH: Yes
  • Send PGCH: NO

Settings on Pyramid (for the ones that know it):
Track channel: 14

I tried sending PGCH by the 2nd+Track option. MSB and LSB also don’t seem to work.
My minilogue instantly responds to the Pyramid with the same sort of settings on the pyramid.

Rytm responds to note information from the Pyramid on the same channel, so it’s probably not in the connection… Next to that, I have had troubles with Ableton and PGCH before too, something I also encountered on this forum. Is it true that Rytm has issues with this very straightforward and quite indispensable messages?

Hope that someone has a pyramid, or that someone has overcome similar issues with the Rytm,

Thanks!

Try changing the prch channel to something instead of auto.

presumably you realise the Rytm responds differently to MIDI Prg Chg messages compared to the most synths (which will just change sounds)

You haven’t explained which Pattern Change Settings are set (amongst other settings) as this can have a huge impact on whether it is perceived to be doing anything - but it’s not known to be buggy, it is perhaps felt to be picky wrt the timing (if late) of the program change message (in which case you may get the change a bar later e.g.)

So this isn’t likely to be an AR issue per se, more a matter of mastering what’s required at both ends to get what you want

1 Like