Petit Massif (@craig’s music)

As we’ll be releasing our new album on Bandcamp soon, I thought it would be best to put everything in one place rather than spam the other threads. Here’s our latest video ‘4320’ which will be the outro track of the album:

NASA made their archives free-to-use, so we plundered it. Drums are Digitone, synths are MfL Poli, and everything is taken to the butchers via Ableton Live’s Redux plugin. Thanks for listening.

19 Likes

Nice epic feel for an outro, I like the contrary motion in the chords!

2 Likes

That’s me playing the white keys going further away from each other and back again. An idea I did back on the Analog Keys about a year ago. Poli sounds way better tho!

3 Likes

Wow, sounds really good! First time firing up Ableton Live since … last winter. I feel a new season is coming up.

1 Like

Thanks. And yes! Both Poli and Bass sound very analog to my ears. Well worth exploring :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ve just dropped our new album U4EA on Bandcamp. It’s pay what you want, so if you can spare us a cup of coffee, it’d be much appreciated. But if you don’t have anything on you right now, you can download it for free or just stream it. It’s on us! Enjoy :yellow_heart:

(There’s a lot of Digitone and JU-06A on there, as well as some Octatrack and Model:Cycles, plus some Ableton synths)

1 Like

Listening now. Awesome atmosphere on the opener :ok_hand:

Also love track 4. Some really interesting things going on in there.

How long has six tracks been an album by the way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks! :blush:

I’m going by this (from Wikipedia): “An album may contain as many or as few tracks as required. In the United States, The Recording Academy rules for Grammy Awards state that an album must comprise a minimum total playing time of 15 minutes with at least five distinct tracks or a minimum total playing time of 30 minutes with no minimum track requirement. In the United Kingdom, the criteria for the UK Albums Chart is that a recording counts as an “album” if it either has more than four tracks or lasts more than 25 minutes.” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I stand corrected!

I kept thinking how good this would sound live… I hope you’re able to play out again before too long

1 Like

Thank you! That might be a while, tho! Still, we can just carry on writing tunes in the meantime :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The full album is now on YouTube too:

1 Like

Not comparing, but

• Atom Heart Mother: 5 tracks
  • Close To The Edge: 3 tracks

Awesome albums ^^

@craig the volume at the beginning is super low, I had to raise the volume a lot (on my headphones, in an isolated environment) to be able to hear what was actually happening.
Might be designed like this, but maybe not. Just wanted to let you know. ^^

Yours is a pretty little album IMO, with trip-hop vibes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, a mini album works. And yes, the quieter start was a conscious decision but maybe one we won’t repeat in future haha. Thanks for listening!

1 Like

Wow, your girlfriend is from :fr: ?

1 Like

Actually she’s Irish, but she grew up in Montpellier from the age of 5 or 6, so she’s fluent. I love being able to mix up the languages :slight_smile:

1 Like

:thup:

I really enjoyed it !

Loved the textures and the mood of your project.

Will be paying close attention to your music from now on !

Your GF voice is truly mesmerizing too…

Do you care to elaborate a little bit on the process / gear use ?

2 Likes

…petit massif…?

like it…good project name…

1 Like

Thanks! In retrospect, the very closed in nature seemed to represent our lockdown experience :sweat_smile:

She beamed me a huge smile when I showed her that comment. Very kind of you :blush:

Sure. In terms of song genesis, we began two of them on guitar (This is… and U4EA) - the toms/mini kicks at the beginning of the first one are actually playing the notes on individual ‘strings’ to form a chord of six drums and the guitar part in U4EA is managed to hell with OT Lo-Fi and Dark Reverb. The Shakes and Puzzlebox were started on my girlfriend’s ukulele, so we kept the arpeggios of that but changed them to a few layers of JU-06A instead – with Digitone doing the high pitched crackle/rushing wind type sound on the former. Use Saison en Enfer was pure Octatrack mangling stuff I had originally made on Digitone, with heavy use of an LFO on the sample pitch for two of the elements. The outro 4320 was originally an idea I made playing just the white keys on an Analog Keys (spreading apart and coming back together again before settling on the main four chords) at around 130bpm, but I replaced everything with Max for Live synths and slowed it right down to 80bpm to fit the other tracks. Here’s all the gear (except guitar and vocals) for each of the tracks:

This is… Digitone for drums and arps, JU-06A provides a background pad later on.

U4EA Model:Cycles for drums and chord stabs, Octatrack for processing guitar.

The Shakes M:C and DN for drums, JU-06A for chords/arps, plus DN for FX

Une Saison en Enfer DN for all sounds inc drums, then Octatrack for processing everything, and a poem (A season in hell) by Arthur Rimbaud

Puzzlebox DN for drums, JU-06A for chords/arps/melodic elements

4320 DN for drums, Max for Live Poli for synths, liberal use of Live’s Redux plugin

All tracks mixed in Live using stock plugins with lots of Saturation and Redux on near enough every channel. Some use of Audio Damage’s Fluid/EOS2, process.audio’s Sugar and WavesFactory Cassette every now and then. All done on DT-770 headphones because I don’t have monitors and then checked on shitty Apple EarPods. We prefer making music for headphones anyway. I think that’s everything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bump.

Been listening to this album a ton in the last days.

Do yourself a favor and get this into your bandcamp app / mp3 player for an eventful rainy autumn walk at night :hear_no_evil: :raccoon: :space_invader:

3 Likes