Personal Top 10: my most listened to, most influenced by records

Yeah! With me it was Cluster/Soweisoso

2 Likes

You are a thread-winner, because until your post Iā€™d seen at least one band live from every list - incredibly broad as they are. But you got me!

1 Like

Thatā€™s how I did it. ā€œMost influentialā€ would include oneā€™s I study, but maybe not listen to for ā€œfunā€; some would be newer cause my tastes change. Some on the ā€œMost Listenedā€ meant something to me at one time in my life but I canā€™t get anything from now, aside from wanting to feel that way again.

I love lists.

1 Like

Joni Mitchell, yeah man. Sheā€™s the beeā€™s kneeā€™s. A lot of people would think sheā€™s a stretch as an influence for an electronic musician, but they donā€™t know she played synth and used tape loops and all kinds of multitracking techniques as early as 1974, and played guitar synth in later years. Besides which her harmonies sound great on polysynths and are full of atmosphere. And all that besides everything else, to me she ranks with Miles and Ellington as modern masters.

5 Likes

I saw SP for the first time around 1991 in a not-so-scary venue in Portlandā€¦ the next tour we opened up for them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No order:

Odd Nosdam- Burner
Scientist - Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires
J Dilla- Donuts
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Portishead - Dummy
DIRTY TAPES: OHBLIV / DIL WITHERS SPLIT
FLYING LOTUS- LA
TOBACCO - FxCKED UP FRIENDS
CANNIBAL OX - The Cold Vein
TALKING HEADS- Remain in Light

Might redo with some links later

9 Likes

Not in any order

Shellac- At action park
Girls against boys - Cruise yourself
Slint - Spiderland
Portishead - Dummy
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Tipper - Seemless Unspeakable Something
Heyoka - Gate Code
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Trackermatte- Shadow Festival
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms

8 Likes

Shaking the habitual doesnā€™t get near enough love, definitely one of the master works of electronic music for me. The production arrangements sound design and song writing are all next level

4 Likes

These are all probably up thereā€¦

LTJ Bukem / Conrad - Promised Land vol 1

Legion of Green Men - Floating on Shallow Water

Ninja Tune Zen LP - Various Artists

True Playaz in the Mix - Hype / Zinc

Daft Punk - Homework

The Beatles - Sargent Peppers

Travelling Wilburies - Handle With Care

Paul Simon - Rhythm of the Saints

NIN - The Downward Spiral

Nirvana - Nevermind

3 Likes

Atom Earth Motherā€¦the ā€œspecialā€ one.
A beauty.

3 Likes

Itā€™s difficult to only pick 10 because Iā€™ve been influenced by and still listen to so much but I went based off of which albums either caused a massive change in how I thought about music and/or inspired me to get into synths and creative music in the first place so without further ado my list.

Burial: Untrue

Radiohead: OK computer

The Faint: Danse macabre

Air: Talkie Walkie

Wu tang clan: 36 chambers

Double 99: Ripgroove
(itā€™s only a single but it introduced me to UK garage)

Jungle hits vol. 1: Various artists (this changed everything for me when I first heard it in early high school my whole perspective on where electronic music had gone/was going shifted)

**Caspa and studio Fabric live 37 **
This was IT for me at the time, it was like the logical conclusion to all of electronic music up to that point, Dub reggae roots, deep sub bass, UK garage shuffle, Jungle breaks, and insane synths. This was Dubstep before it became a dirty word and before it became brostep over-produced grammy award winning garbage for EDM festivals.
But before all that this this mix changed everything.

Trouble and Bass (All artists/tracks/releases)
T&B were a crew based out of Brooklyn but eventually included artists from all over the world they were around in the mid to late 2000s and put out releases until maybe 2011 or so before sort of dispersing and taking different directions. They started after the death of ā€œblog houseā€ and well before ā€˜Dubstepā€™ entered the mainstream and their releases were all over the place but focused on heavy bass. A massive inspiration for me at the time but unfortunately most of their early and peak years work has been scrubbed from the internet, this mix from Drop the lime (one the main and founding members) is one of the few things I could find and it sort of sums up what their shows and sound was, it was a good time for electronic music at this point because it was about hype and energy and dancing and heavy fucking bass, their shows were always fun and always inspirational to me as an artist.

NES OST: Various artists (does that count? This stuff influenced me majorly though my earliest formative years, I used to record the OST from some of my favorite games and levels to tapes and listen to them and now with YouTube etc I still often listen to them often)

I could go on and on to list tons of artists from various genres that I love and that have shaped me musically or list all kinds of super underground stuff to sound cool or whatever but really this this is the stuff thatā€™s all from important moments in my life where I was transformed musically and the culmination of the influence from so many directions has led me down so many paths including to making music and DJing starting in my early 20s.

7 Likes

Wow!

Most played and most influential are two different things, but Iā€™ll try to cover both in rough chronological order of obsessionā€¦

Nirvana ā€“ In Utero
Bush ā€“ Razorblade Suitcase
Deftones ā€“ Adrenaline
Will Haven ā€“ El Diablo
Bomb 20 ā€“ Field Manual
Hellfish and Producer ā€“ Constant Mutation
Portishead ā€“ Portishead
Radiohead ā€“ Kid A
Autechre ā€“ LP5
Autechre ā€“ Envane

(Honourable mentions to Elliott Smith, Murcof, Sigur Ros, Squarepusher, The Beatles, and BoC)

5 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, others have said that too. But I see what you mean, for example, I played bass in a bluegrass band for a year. I never listen to bluegrass or country music at all, but that had a big impact on me.

2 Likes

I saw it as having more time and being more obsessed with certain things as a teenager that I no longer listen to and their influence on me is minimal except for in a subconscious way, I guess. Things Iā€™ve listened to in the last few years such as Rrose and Taut (@trytykee) are more influential nowadays but I havenā€™t listened to them anywhere near as much as the ones on the list Iā€™ve mentioned above. See what I mean?

4 Likes

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
AC/DC - Powerage
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
AC/DC - Back In Black
Fu Manchu - In Search Of
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics
Sleep - Sleepā€™s Holy Mountain
Too $hort - Life Isā€¦ Too $hort
The Upsetters - Super Ape

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a few i didnā€™t mention but they are as crucial as the one iā€™ve posted.

Hendrix for instance : i donā€™t listen to his music that often these days, because itā€™s such a part of meā€¦itā€™s in the flesh and the soul.
Listening to Hendrix now usually means that iā€™m going through special events, good or bad.

Persona non grata by Urban Dance Squad is a monument listened to death and beyond.
Mark Hollis 's solo album, Sufjan Stevens, John zorn, Animal Collective, Hella, Ruinsā€¦and more and moreā€¦
Many have been listened almost exclusively for certain periods of time, generally followed by phases of mimetic plagiarism sort of regurgitation.

And to add to your post, these last months, the most influential place is the Current Soundā€¦ thread, and if we were to name namesā€¦your 0 Coast entries, @korpinen and @trytykee ones are in the hall of fame.

4 Likes

Pet Shop Boys / Introspective
Beach House / Bloom
The Notwist / Shrink
Joy Division / Closer
Talk Talk / Spirit of Eden
Tindersticks / 1st
Portishead / Third
Piano Magic / Disaffected
Tame Impala / Currents
The National / Boxer

7 Likes

Fuck, I forgot Antipop Consortium. I have listened to this hundreds of times. It showed me that hip-hop can crossover into weird electronic:

7 Likes
  • Amen dunes - through donkey jaw
  • Dead kennedys - plastic surgery disasters
  • Weyes blood - front row seat to earth
  • Wu tang - enter the 36 chambers
  • Slayer - reign in blood
  • Mogwai - happy songs for happy people
  • Dr octagon - dr octagonecologyst
  • Comus - fist utterance
  • Sleep - holy mountain
  • Brian Eno - Taking tiger mountain
3 Likes