Performing with the Dynamic Performance Sampler

I see what you mean, worth a tinker with the setup :+1:

You can totally go crazy and reload the part (or kit on other Elektrons). No hiccups or anything like that.

Scenes 14, 15 and 16 are special to me, because I can change them with one hand. Ring finger or pinky on scene b button, thumb to select a scene, so I have master track filter wdth on 14, 15 adds resonance + lfo depth and 16 adds delay or reverb send level.
Can even operate the crossfader with index finger while changing scenes. :grin:

2 Likes

Isn’t there a quick button combo to reload I’m forgetting?

Function + Cue :upside_down_face:

i can reach pinky on scene B and thumb on button 9…you can’t do that?!

I think I can, but I can’t really operate the crossfader when my hand is so stretched^^
Not so well at least :stuck_out_tongue:

Also choosing the last three scenes for that avoids selecting a wrong scene accidentially.

1 Like

Left hand on crossfader?

On the other way, using right hand for the crossfader, sometimes I set scene A on trigs 9-12 (index on scene A, thumb on trigs).

My max is 7. :content:

1 Like

It’s also a good dynamic performance sampler!
Different approach / purposes.
I was waiting for something better / smaller since I sold it, but nothing released yet.
Rc505 in action. This crazy guy is really good with loopers.

2 Likes

modern jazz

1 Like

Left hand usually is busy cueing pattern change, transitioning by activating fill, muting/unmuting or twisting knobs on another machine.

Btw, a midi controller can really take an OT performance to another level. BCR2000 for mixing tasks, mutes and fx works really well.
Parameter feedback over midi and when you change part/bank you can send paramerer request to OT and all parameters on the BCR will update to OTs values.
The four buttons on the right are perfect for sequencer start/stop, the 16 buttons under the top encoder row for audio track mutes and sample triggering.

I’ll probaply get the Faderfox PC4 for control of fx, lfo, retrig etc.
Potentiometers are much better for actual performance, because you can feel the range.
Just grab the knob and twist it.

1 Like

As I’ve found by mind bending late night accidental mayhem, where I make crazy mistakes cuz I kinda lost track of whats going on on the OT…A good way to use parts for me (Happy accident world) is to have four different parts, even exact duplicates (the more complexity you add to the equation is up to you) on four different patterns, then chain those patterns and start tweeking knobs, changing scenes…This can be a good way to understand what parts can do, and save you from doing what I do from time to time, which is accidentally do this. Anyways. Thats my latest parts adventure…And don’t forget that each part can have 16 scenes…well there you have it.

Oh I understand parts haha. I just meant I don’t know how I would use them in this context and that’s what I’m working out. I think just the simple act of reloading will be helpful.

Sorry, didn’t mean to assume anything, just something that happened to me recently and I thought it a interesting way to come up with happy accidents using parts.
Simple is always best for performing with other people… Definitely.

1 Like

Yeah I mean I’m already doing a thousand things at once…why also deal with parts? lol. Like I’m having fun and already feel pretty occupied. It’s not like I’m twiddling my thumbs.

1 Like

Yeah, I hear you. I just use my OT for composing. I’d rather DJ my own tracks. If I were to play live with my OT, I would prolly just try to set the OT up as a DJ mixer with the crossfader, and some extra loops to change things up here and there.

1 Like

It’s sounds like you are in a good place with want you have going just with the OT. No need to get more complicated, just refine what you are already doing. If anything use 5 tracks for drums and 6-7 for live sample remixes.

1 Like

Tracks 6-7 or 6-7 tracks?

With OT I never use more than 2 drum tracks, samples locks and crossfader for variations.

Tracks 1-4 for recordings
Track 5-6 for samples
Track 7 for CUE fx (resampling with feedback)
Track 8 for Master

2 Likes

Parts are necessary when you want to send program changes to other gear.
If you don’t do that, I think you win a lot of freedom using only one part per bank.
You can eq or tune elements midst performance without having to worry when the next part change will happen and if you have to do some adjustments on scenes, those changes will stay throughout the whole bank (treating a bank as ‘one song’)
Maybe you changed something during sound check and forgot to adjust scenes accordingly or smt like that. So, yeah, if possible I’d go one part per bank.

At least three tracks for me. Kick, snares, hats/percs.
I could get away with kick and hats on one track, using the filter to ‘mute’ the kick, but it just complicates the process unnecessarily and I like to throw a delay on my snare and/or hat track to transition.

1 Like

My case. I wouldn’t use a part change to change a midi track Prog Change.

Sometimes I put kk/sn/hh on the same track, or kk/sn, sn/hh.

1 Like

Ehmmm no!
You buy one and you love it.
The only problem with the OT is that you want another one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes