Performance-oriented music software/controllers - still quite limited?!

Thanks to all of you who’ve resurrected this old thread of mine, and for all the suggestions.

I’m the same as most people here (as far as I can tell) in that I’m fickle and sometimes can’t make my mind up or get bored too easily. I’m actually back using software a bit and I’m having a lot of fun with my Syntakt.

I think I’ve made peace with the fact that it’s OK to chop and change a bit and try different things depending on my mood etc, and certainly not necessary to force myself to never use software or only use one box and record in one take or whatever. It’s just a hobby, I can enjoy it for what it is.

Regarding specific gear…

I never liked the look of the AKAI force and I’m quite certain I don’t want a “DAW in a box” as I have several DAWs already and they already run in a box (my Mac Mini). The OP Z is a curious little gizmo but it never quite appealed to me. I appreciate it has a lot inside but it’s wrapped in an odd interface. The 1010 Blackbox is clearly a clever little piece of gear but a tiny touchscreen and two knobs probably wouldn’t give me much enjoyment.

The Polyend play is the most appealing thing to me. I like step sequencers although I dislike curating samples and that might be the sticking point for me. Just a personal thing, I get bogged down in trying to organise and package “sets” of samples.

I actually really like the Syntakt as a sort of loop machine because Overbridge (and Bitwig) make recording the audio into loops so easy. I’m also starting to code my own Bitwig control script for my Korg nanoKontrol surface so I can trigger clips etc. I’m soon going to be able to very quickly just use the Syntakt to make a few patterns/loops and then, when I’m ready, record those into “stems” or whatever into Bitwig and play with clips/scenes in the scene view in Bitwig PLUS all that lovely Bitwig modular goodness, the excellent built-in FX, extra soft synths if I want etc.

That lot ought to keep me busy for a while.

1 Like

The OT really is this box for me. The ability to play long stereo samples alongside intricately sequenced beats (and even have some tracks carry over after a pattern change if you set it up right) make it ideal for this situation. If you want maximum flexibility then maybe consider pairing it with a traditional dj setup so on the one hand you’re free to choose the next track on the fly, and on the other you have a very malleable sampling engine to go on top.

I think Deluge is probably the best for interactive quick generation of melody chords and drums, then switching clips on and off and changing effects and parameters. The learning time is not so huge. The lack of screen is a virtue.

OT is a lot of work and pre work. MPC is screen time, might as well be an iPad.

I honestly think absence of screen is key to jamming.

The Blackbox is great at recording little stems like this!

1 Like

If you would like to get away from the computer I would think you probably need to jump into a dawless/hardware based live performance approach, as every other tool may make you dependant at some point of the computer.

Anyhow both ways may make you invest a lot of time in order to get something you are happy with, basically down to as you practice and learn more, your demands grow along with it.

I would start with pen and paper, writing down your needs for a techno live set, and see what tools do you need. Then based on those tools see what controllers may you need or even what hardware productions tools may take you to that place.

I have performed using Ableton, Maschine 1.8 (as a plugin inside Ableton splitter into tracks to process every track with different effects, and it was on charge of making/editing all rythms, but also as a controller for Ableton to trigger loops and modify FX), but also with Ableton Live and only an Akai Apc40 mki… Both setups had complete different layouts and way of working. I would say every controller can fit nice depending on your planning, and your needs, and that is the beauty of it!

Currently I’m working on a live performance set, using Nord MicroModular and a BCR2000 to control all the parameters needed, and probably some FX pedals to spice up a bit the sounds, add some reverbs, etc).

Then again, with Ableton and any midi controller, and probably with enought practising, you won’t need to even stare at the computer… At least on the Nord Modular I’m making it happening, as once the patch is saved into the machine, you don’t need the computer to perform any longer, unless you need editing any of the already saved patches :slight_smile: