Performance flight cases?

His first name is Scott and he is on tour in Europe right now. I think his last name is Fox, but you can find him on the Alberta Synth facebook page.

Flight case is definitely the right term.
Apologies if I’ve misinterpreted, but I think the question was more about your use case:

1. If you need it to be robust enough to go in a cargo hold or
    1. If you need it to be the correct dimensions/weight to count as hand luggage/laptop bag (more restrictive, but less likely to end up with things broken/stolen)

It’s an interesting question - I’d be interested in knowing if there are hand-luggage-sized options that let people rock up and plug in.
This springs to mind: https://meeblip.com/collections/our-products/products/blipcase
Also, given airlines may specify a laptop bag can be additional to a single piece of hand luggage, do they care if there’s not actually a laptop in there?

There’s a thread on here somewhere about carry-on compliant flight cases for live setups. John Tejada toured with one for a while, maybe still does, which he could get an Octatrack, Rytm (mk1) and an Eventide Space pedal into. Although, the machine were stored stacked on top of each other so it wasn’t plug & play.

This is an awesome recommendation. Is the amount of padding around the edge a fixed amount? I.e., if it’s pick-fit type what’s the default width at the edge? Not sure if I’m explaining myself very well.

According to the specs I can fit a TR-8S and a Monomachine side by side with 72mm total remaining for padding, so this is really appealing.

1 Like

It’s about 2 or 3cm but very soft so wouldn’t worry about it fit wise. It also as harder rubbery padding on the inside apart from the foam of about 1cm I think

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. :thup:

1 Like

Bought a gorilla GC - LDJC. I wanted to squeeze a TR-8 above the digis but it wasn’t to be, just too many cables in too little space. Still, managed to get two digis, my SH01a, mixer and FX in there plus all the audio and midi cables and all six power supplies underneath the foam. Still got a bit of room for a couple more FX pedals if I feel the need. TR-8 just comes along in a rucksack with decksaver on for protection.
It’s just about light enough to call it portable and, god forbid, if anyone did want me to play a gig, I’m basically plug and play.
Thanks @DaveMech for the excellent suggestion. The good people at gorilla cases should be paying you commission.

9 Likes

Looks Great ! And cheers, happy to share these things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s the second vlog episode I released today. It’s about my live case and how I manage the cabling etc.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Who made this? :slight_smile:

Old thread but I have some questions about this setup if you don’t mind checking in.

• Does this case come with a full covering foam that you can cut to your specific needs?

• You mention that there are power supplies underneath the foam. Are they jammed in there, or is there any air at all to circulate? If no air - is the lack of air and resulting heat anything that can break/degrade the powersupplies?

• Are the machines secured somehow when transporting the case? Velcro underneath? Or is the top lid simply a snug fit?

1. It comes with two layers of pickfoam, which already has a grid of small squares semi cut so you can just pick them out to fit round your gear.

2. I only had the two external power supplies for the DT and DN under the foam with the plugs into a multi socket, didn’t have any issues with things getting too hot.

3. Because there’s two layers of foam, you can usually get stuff to fit just about snug so it doesn’t move around when transported, the foam is pretty firm anyway, so as long as the lid (which is full of egg crate foam on the inside) fits relatively snug, all is good.

1 Like

I’ve got this one in the works…I used a Magma Bags Carrylite xxl case

4 Likes

Great thanks for the info. And what about weight wise? Is this case the absolute maximum you would want to transport for gigs and spontaneous jamming with friends?
I’ve found other cases even with a “laptop” shelf that could house more gear with some modifications. But only the case would weigh above 16 kilos…

The gorilla cases are pretty light, but that does sacrifice a bit of durability.

I just bought an SKB case and it’s perfect. Quite heavy with everything inside but the box is solid and have good wheels.

8 Likes

Can you pop off the lid or do you like to hide from the audience?

Yes I saw some ways to remove the lid but never tried so far

Looks nice! Which model of skb is it? I have one of there keyboard cases that I took out live before but something like this looks better for my current setup.

1 Like

I don’t get the incentive I guess. I’d rather throw all my stuff in a backpack (and maybe another case/bag if needed) and be able to carry it solo. even if it requires a few trips. versus needing three people to help carry a massive box. learned this lesson carrying something similar in 90 degree heat through downtown traffic for a full mile…

carrying everything fully disassembled just means more time to setup. there’s always a table at the venue. setup on that while someone’s sound-checking or opening, then grab someone to help you carry it onto the stage when needed. way easier than convincing someone(s) to help you load in a massive box through shit conditions.

1 Like