Performance Drum Machine : Analog Rytm vs TR8(s)

Good points. I wonder if Behringer will succeed at this?

I have a tr8s also, but it is boxed and i dont use it. Although it has the sound and tuning/twisting options, and more, the workflow with the screen is a bit hampering and it is missing Propability. I for sure prefer the digitakt which has more tighter filter and amp modulation posibilities and much quicker workflow and you get more easilier a different drum.

I do prefer the tr8s over the rytm mk1 thou as the old screens have grown some irritation an me over the years. Mk2 however seems overall winner.

I don’t have a tr8s so correct me if I’m wrong - it seems its sounds are a bit thin and require heavy processing compared to the rytm’s? It seems more spontaneous to play with though.

8S sounds plenty good. The AR on the other hand requires some processing. But it depends on the sound you’re looking for…

2 Likes

Interesting-suprising thoughts.

I had AR MK1 and TR8 since they came out. After a few years of living with them I can say this. With AR I make drums of all kinds, modulated perc sequences, synth lines, atmospheres, fxs, hell I think I make most of everything on this magic black box - it is also true I adore its character / filters / envelopes / performance modes…
TR8 on the other hand has really great faders.

1 Like

Rytm vs TR-8S… I mean, it’s not like either one is conclusively or objectively better… My Machinedrum can synthesise and sequence all kinds of stuff the TR can’t but at the moment I’m enjoying the 8S in my setup. It’s fast and fun to work with.

1 Like

These responses are super helpful. Thanks everyone!

I guess my last question: Does anyone has faith that Roland will actually make a decent/substantial (yet reasonable) software update w/ the TR8? (It’s been 5 months.)

Roland’s TR8 Update or Spam?

While the delays and reverbs on the TR8 ain’t that great there’s a nice lofi filter effect in there. It’s been 2 years since I owned a TR-8 so I don’t remember whether it was in the delay or the reverb bank, but it’s somewhere there. Kinda like a poor man’s Oto Biscuit. I used it a lot to make the drums a bit crunchy and lofi.

1 Like

There is that one delay that can be used as a nice bitty distortion/spreader, but that’s one usable effect out of how many?? lol

Ordered a TR-8s and my Rytm already giving me a bad look. I am a sucker for TR-drums and a bit tired to tweak the sounds on the Rytm for hours. Samples didn’t do it for me. Especially the Kicks. The TR-8S seems to be improved in every area and what was missing with the first one the TR-8.

Who else got a TR-8S and let the Rytm go or not ?
I have also a Modular, Moog Dfam and a Digitone that all can provide also non Standard-TR-sounds and they are more simple to Programm than the Rytm.

Just asking, if I should wait to put my Rytm MKII on the used market.

I ended up picking up a Rytm Mki and basically sold my TR8 the same day.

I haven’t looked back lol.

I also did my first gig with it by mostly using samples and layering a bit of the analog machines under when needed.

Performance wise, it was as much as I’d want. I ride the mute states the same as I would have on the TR8 but with a far more dynamic sound. Roland, step it up. God damn.

Thanks again for everyones’ detailed responses!

i got a rytm but when i demoed a tr8s it made me fell like jeff mills and a rytm cant do that

5 Likes

I understand that to an extent. The weakest point of the AR is definitely the toms imo, but I rarely if ever use them myself. Can’t be Jeff Mills without the 909s.

Effects were incomparable imo (delay and reverb). Nothing special; they just work, and you have access to all parameters. To get the TR8 to sound the way I wanted, I used a Boss Bx-8, FMR RNC, and sometimes a Strymon Deco. That’s a lot of BS to lug around for gigs. That’s basically all in the box with the AR (track overdrive, master compressor, and master distortion).

Overall, I mostly didn’t want to get a TR8S out of spite lol. I was pissed at Roland for not making obvious changes to the TR8 (yet officially hinting that they would!) like expanding the pattern limit. smh…

feel u on the toms, i listend back to my music and thought there is some rhythm lacking… after a bit of time I realised i didnt have any toms on most tracks simply due to how weak they;re on the rytm :joy::joy:

Hi guys,
This will be a pure opinion post, but I’m curious what you think about the top drum machines right now. If I am looking for something with a big sound to make proper house music, would you recommend the analog rytm? Or would I be better off going with the roland and getting classic 808/909 sounds? The analog engines of the rytm are appealing to me.

I’ve done most drums in ableton in the past, so for this I am looking for a fun hands on drum machine experience. Thank you!!

I’ve owned both. Either will work. You can put the same samples in each if you like. It really comes down to workflow and what you want from a drum machine creatively.

Cool thanks! Do you know if the roland is actually an analog drum synthesizer? Or is it all digital

The Roland TR-8S is all-digital - synthesis and samples.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yeah, in all honesty, the Tr8 was really nice for quick stuff, but you’ll likely get bored after finishing a few projects and want another drum machine.

The AR has more staying power in that respect.

1 Like