Pattern Copy / Paste while sequencer is running

i got it to work … first i had a gap of few mili seconds … and in this video i did it on the second try … but i will delete this soon … becuse i was juded buy others … i will make a new one tomorow … thank you for your thought

I think your video is just fine and should be left just as-is :slight_smile: it shows how to make it seamless you really have to be perfect with your timing, but it is possible

I really don’t understand why we can’t copy or paste patterns without them being the active pattern - I appreciate the simplicity and speed of the current copy/paste system so I wouldn’t change that, but I feel some extra button combos to enable some sort of additional behavior are very desirable, even if they are non-intuitive and/or awkward

I envision a button combo where instead of copying the currently active pattern or pasting into the currently active pattern it would allow you to copy the next chained pattern or paste into the next chained pattern

1 Like

… if you are playnig a sequence pattern and you try to paste it into the next pattern , without stoping the sequence, you will knowdest that the music it stops and the pattern it empty … This it becouse you Can’t paste the pattern until the next pattern it active … this it not good for me becouse i like to make music live ,starting from one sound and keep adding new sounds … with a lot of strugle , today i managed to make this happen … but for this you have to be super quick … counting the last beat on the last pattern , and then super quick to paste it … This it not good becouse if you are in a live gig with 3 or 4 other gear you will not succed this trick , and you will endup with a stoped sequence … i will do it again tomorrow ,and i will be very serious about it … People war judged me wrong for no reason … i payd 715E for this device and i Can’t play live with it becouse the patterns are not changing right… the Elektron Digitakt has no tutorial about this … and i m sad …Not to mention the Lenth parameter on the display , today he was changing values by his own , i had no LFO asigned and i did not touch it … i guess i have to make a Ticket on the Elektron website … so this is my story

this pattern copy/paste behavior has been the Elektron way on all their sequencer gear as far as I know - sounds like you were not totally aware of what you were purchasing

one way to mildly mitigate this behavior in a live situation is to not be pasting over completely blank patterns - before performing prep all patterns with some sort of basic trig information - that way you won’t miss a bass drum hit on beat 1 for example

3 Likes

tanks … but who can imagine , in 2017 , this easy task ,not working on this maschine with it a drum and sequence live maschine , as they say ???

3 Likes

I agree that it is quite odd, and given the fact Cenk would certainly use/want this feature makes it even a bit more strange - which makes it seem like it has to do with the fundamental architecture/design of the sequencer, but only Elektron knows

This has been discussed on various other threads here before. I first posted about it in May:

Notably, the ability to do this with the sequencer running, and without missing a beat was in the manual, but it just didn’t work. Elektron acknowledged it, but later took it out of the manual, presumably until it is implemented.

So, there is a key-sequence for it, it is just not yet implemented.

6 Likes

I’m not a digitakt owner, but the quote from the manual you have in your original post on that thread doesn’t indicate to me anything about the ability to paste into a non-active pattern?

I also looked into the relevant section in the Digitakt manual, and it doesn’t really indicate to me that you should be able to paste into a pattern that’s not active, atlhough the wording is somewhat unclear - it just says that you can paste into any other pattern, even a pattern on a different bank - it does not say that you can paste into a pattern that is not active, merely that moving to another pattern (or another bank) is not going to cause you to lose your copied pattern

where has Elektron acknowledged this ‘issue’ and where can I see the ‘original’ version of the manual that was supposedly changed? the full text of your quote is contained in the current manual

just to be clear, I’d love this ability to paste patterns into non-active pattern slots, but I still don’t see where Elektron has ever said that this is possible - that just appears to be a poorly worded section of the digitakt manual that could potentially be mis-interpreted

I’m sorry - wasn’t looking for an argument.

It was how I and many other owners from the 1.01 days interpreted the manual. It was reported as a bug, ack’d by E. expressly as a bug in support tickets, and ack’d E. that the manual didn’t reflect current function of the firmware in the forums.

About 1.02/.03 time frame the manual was edited to change but not completely remove the text - the text you see is still there but moved from the Copy/Paste/Clear section (where it was more clear). Furthermore, the operation listed still doesn’t work if you try to paste, no matter what your interpretation: it performs rec/play/stop, not copy/clear/paste.

JOHNNNNNN

You love this topic

It is correct that this function was wrongly described in the first versions of the manual.
But exactly where in the manual is it still not right now? Just want to try to get it as accurate as possible.

3 Likes

§10.1.1, third bullet in the tip call out.

3 Likes

I submitted a feature request a while ago, where Stop + Play would enter a Live Step mode…
You’d be able to affect other patterns that the one running… Loved that idea!

Thanks. It will not be there in the next version of he manual.

3 Likes

Can you clarify what that means in regards to this feature ever being available to the users? At the moment it seems to me that Elektron has no idea how to or doesn’t want to implement this feature so you just redact the manual, trying to remove any trace that this was ever planned or promised?

1 Like

Well with the risk of giving a boring answer, but we prefer not to make any promises or commitments regarding possible future functionality, but we are aware of this issue.
As I mentioned earlier it was a mistake that this texts incorrect wording made it to the manual. The reason why this is fixed in the manual is that the manual should reflect how things really work now. I can assure you that there is no sister coverup going on, just normal error correction :slight_smile: The error was in the manual, not in the machine, so we correct the manual.

7 Likes

Is that possible to copy a pattern and paste to a different project?

1 Like

Yes.

1. copy pattern
  2. load target project
  3. switch to target pattern
  4. paste pattern
2 Likes

Needs to be implemented where you can copy a running pattern and paste to a non-playing pattern.

3 Likes

So there’s no confusion for people reading this thread later, what the original post was asking about is now possible in the digitakt. You can copy and paste patterns to one that is not the active pattern without switching from the active pattern.
You cannot do this between projects.

1 Like