Pattern Change and Loop Control

Set LOOP to OFF in Playback Setup Page +

-OR-

Set the sample’s attribute to OFF in Attributes Page in Audio Editor.

Set the first overrides the attribute.
If set to AUTO it will follows the attribute.

3 Likes

Thanks sicijk!
But there is another detail that i forgot to mention.
The loop is twice as long as the 4:4 scale so I have it triggered with a One Shot Trig so the entire sample will play without re-triggering half way through. The loop keeps the sample going for as long as I want to jam within that pattern.
But I’d like to have it stop when I go to the next pattern.
Is there a way to do this?
If not, does anyone have another way they approach this?

Depends on what should happen for that track with the second pattern.

You can:

• Enable START SILENT for the new track in the second pattern.
(out of Grid Mode press FUNCT+BANK and selecting the track you’ll find the option)

• Put a trigless trig with VOL p-locked at -64…no output

Try these and check if one of them could fit your workflow.

4 Likes

Start Silent was EXACTLY what I was looking for!
Thanks sicijk for the help!

…too easy…ehehehhe!

Anyway, be careful with that feature because, if you apply it on a THRU track, you will encounter, instead of silencing, a piercing high freq noise.
This is a bug already reported and on its way to be solved…hopefully!

whoa! haha note taken :wink:

This just greatly helped my pattern recording, thank you @sicijk!

1 Like

I have prepared 9 samples of 128 steps each with a loop point set at exactly half of the sample in AED. Works great for playing back a loop of a longer sample with long releases at the end with one-shot trigs.

However, turns out I can’t sequence these loops. Plan was to say track 1 will only play patterns recorded from my Digitone which I turned into 9 samples. Then to make 9 patterns with 64 steps on track 1 each, starting with a one-shot-trig locked to a 128 step DN pattern sample with a loop set in the middle that keeps on looping from step 129 onwards. But if I jump from pattern 1 to 2 now, the one-shot-trig of pattern 1 continues playing while the one-shot-trig of pattern 2 won’t start playing.

I have tried @sammy’s suggestion of silencing track on pattern 2, but that doesn’t work. Would I need parts for making that work or was the suggestion for muting track 1 on pattern 2 and then playback my samples on track 2 etc.? Trigless trig with VOL p-locked at -64 seems to cause the same problem - I want to stay on the same track but make it play a different one shot sample locked to trig 1 of pattern 2.

Any solution without messing with the scale or having to arm the track or spreading my samples to several tracks? Scale settings are not an option because I want to eventually sync the OT to my DT to perform live and scale settings mess up DT patterns. Spreading the samples to different tracks is not an option since I only have 7 tracks available and 9 samples, also bought the OT to be able to perform DN patterns with only one OT track and then add samples from other instruments or vocals on the remaining OT tracks. Don’t want to have to press buttons for arming tracks because it makes performing too intense, pattern changes like playing DN/DT/AF would be preferable.

Using slices instead also doesn’t work, since the values of a loop point aren’t displayed when setting it, so I cannot position it at exactly half of the sample, this only works in trim menu.

The OT really doesn’t seem to be made for sequencing samples longer than 64 steps with any releases … In the end, all I want to do is to play my DN loops on the OT just like when using the DN and jumping from pattern to pattern when I feel like it to be more spontaneous while still having patterns prepared to perform a song.

Edit: Changing patterns as I have mentioned works when using slices. But as I cannot set the exact value for a loop, I would have to make 24 instead of 12 slices and then be able to make the sequencer start with slice 1 , play it for 128 steps and then play and loop slice 2 from then on. Any chance of doing this without messing with scales? I could double the patterns to 18 instead of 9 and only use one slice of 128 steps per pattern, but then making these slices loop correctly would still be extremely tedious to nearly impossible.

All tracks are mono so any new trig on the same track will take over from the previous one. There must be something wrong with the trig on Pattern 2 that is causing it to not fire correctly. Does it play okay if you go to pattern 2 with the sequencer stopped, then start the sequencer?

Yes, trig is playing just fine when I start on pattern two.

Here is how I set the trig in pattern 1 and 2, maybe I did it wrong:
Placed a trig on trig one in grid recording mode, trig turn red. Pressing and holding this trig, pressing arrows up/down to choose a sample and lock it to the trig. Let go of the trig. Press and hold function, then the trig to make it a one shot trig. In AED, the sample is set to loop mode on in attributes and my loop is placed at exactly half of it on trim.

Okay, cool. So are you sure you’ve actually switched over to Pattern 2 or is it still cued up? Your master length and, more importantly, change length can affect this.

Didn’t read everything, but as @darenager posted in the original thread…maybe the answer is there…

Yes, I have switched over. Pattern 2 is red when I keep pattern pressed, but I can still only hear a loop of pattern one. I have set the default options for changing patterns so that when I press pattern + 2 while pattern 1 is playing, the sequencer jumps to pattern 2 after pattern one reached the last step of the scale. Any idea what could be the problem? This so far seems the best option of looping my samples and I take it from you that it should indeed work.

Thanks @sezare56 for the hint. But deranger‘s first solution won‘t work, because the sample would start at the beginning instead of the middle of my sample after 128 steps. I guess I will have to try the scale function then.

Possible to loop the sample as you want if sliced in 2 (if I understood correctly):

Step 1 : First trig condition, slice 1
Step 2 : /PRE trig condition, slice 2, microtiming -23/384

That’s an example with 1 sample.
If you want to use sliced samples, double the number of slices.

I just can’t get the sequencer to change patterns properly. Started new banks and projects and tried the approach with different tracks, trigs, flex machines and static machines. Most of the times, the one shot trig that was triggered first on pattern 1 will just keep on playing, no matter if I change the pattern or not. If I double tap stop on another pattern and then play again, the correct sample will play. If i then move to another pattern, the same problem occurs. I feel like there is some fundamental thing I messed up or misunderstood which will make the OT useless if I don’t solve it.

I tried lowering hold and release values of the one-shot trigs, I had both on infinite. Doesn’t solve the problem, but maybe this has some influence?

I had silence tracks for the respective tracks on auto, but no or yes also don’t seem to change anything.

I have also noticed that my prepared samples are freely available to both flex and static machines. Is it possible that this causes some issues and I first have to assign them to flex or static slots?

I’m convinced that Pattern 2 hasn’t loaded when you’re changing, otherwise I can’t see why Pattern 1 would continue playing when it’s being told to trigger a different sample on Pattern 2. When changing, do you definitely see A02 towards the bottom left-hand corner?

(That’s just an example from the manual showing that A01 is currently playing btw)

Yes, I am sure:

1 Like

It works totally fine when I am using normal trigs. But as soon as I use one shot trigs, patterns won’t start new samples. So it must have to do with one shot trigs.

Have to be armed. Once a one shot is triggered on a track, all one shots of all patterns are disarmed on that track.

In you case First trig condition seems more appropriate.

2 Likes

Ok thanks, that’s a definitive answer. So I will have to try with microtiming/scale settings + conditional trigs. Brings other problems with it, but I’ll sleep a night on it and try out which compromise works best. Thank you.

1 Like