Patch notes: video series on octatrack-centric eurorack modular setup

published the third installment of this series today - a bit tedious, but is very necessary to describe these patch fundamentals

3 Likes

4th installment up today, my favorite so far, skip the first few minutes if you want to get to the good stuff involving the Modcan CV Record :slight_smile:

3 Likes

a lot of my glitchy accompaniment and counterpoint comes from these two important re-sampling/delay audio paths

1 Like

using the WMD SSM as an audio patching matrix gives me a lot of flexibility for dynamically routing audio streams around the patch, namely into the FX and re-sampling layers

1 Like

this is so next level and awesome. I don’t own any eurorack stuff irl. But I do use vcv rack, so alot of awesome info in here. Thank you!

1 Like

thanks much for the positive feedback! whether hardware or software modular stuff is more similar than different. I like working with modular software environments like max/msp or reaktor but I got bogged down in the past when I wanted to use that stuff to make music in a performative way and needed to map important controls sensibly to a bunch of generic control surfaces - and then there’d be some parameter I couldn’t map properly or whatever, and would need mouse action to access, and I was getting sick of playing UI designer - hardware isn’t very good for the wallet though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

hahaha yeah i feel that, your eurorack set up probably cost as much as a new car. But is way more fun haha. But yeah I dig vcv rack alot, but would never try to use it live as it can be prone to crashes when its pushed far. But as far as sampling/recording it, its awesome. Would love to have a modular or semi modular set up eventually if i ever end up making real money. Anyway, thanks again and keep on going!

1 Like

this video focuses on melodic voice structure and sequencing/modulation, with a particular focus on the semi-generative sub patch I use to create three related v/oct streams, providing a novel source of melodic/harmonic information

2 Likes

this video focuses on the most powerful and feature-rich of my modular samplers, the
1010music bitbox

1 Like

this is a wrap-up installment for my first patch notes series, with thoughts about lessons learned and discussion of future plans for my main modular set-up. Primarily I plan to reduce sound sources and streamline things overall while making ergonomics improvements. On the control and integration end I’m thinking about how I want to use the Octatrack for controlling a handful of ‘preset voltages’ for a brutally simple but incredibly useful type of patch programming (have already had some new thoughts about this since making the video). On the audio side I’m planning to replace my Malekko Powers with Intellijel TPS80Ws to fulfill power requirements for a Metasonix RK4 and RK1, and potentially other high in-rush current draw modules from Metasonix. I’ll also be taking out all or most of my Tiptop X0X modules and putting in a WMD Fracture to replace the CP909. It will still be a while before I re-arrange modules and make any significant new purchases however, as it will take a lot more modulargrid tetris before I commit to a new module arrangement!