Parts with Realtime Sampling what can be done?

Hi,

Im thinking about what can be done in terms oaf realtime sampling booth flex and pickup machines in combination with parts/patterns.

I asked myself if it is possible to have a pickup machine on t1 record a layer -> switch to part 2 record another layer on t1 -> go back to part1 and erase the layer but the layer recorded of part 2 is still playing. This would save up some tracks

What else can be done in combination? Just saw this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdZFgxFxjQ

Basically what i would like to know: PU-Machine is setup on T1. I record something and want to switch to another part or pattern to record something else and so on and be able to have these loops on different “tracks” so that i can manipulate them operated but still in the same pickup machine on t1 . Is this possible?

May be easier without a pickup machine.

Put one shot record trigs down and have the recorded track assigned to flex tracks. For a walk though look for the pattern transition trick on YouTube.

1 Like

A pickup machine is directly connected to the recorder buffer of the track its on, so if the next part has a pickup on the same track, it will replace the first one. I haven’t tried this so I don’t know if it might let you overdub onto the second one, or if it will start over.
There’s other ways I’m sure to do what you want, but either using different tracks with pickups or using flex on the same track. Something along the lines of multiple track recorders recording different things you play and different parts with flex machine on the same track but each part plays a different recorder buffer…

2 Likes

thanks for your inputs! Is there any explanation how it can really be set set up either with pickup or flex tracks?

It would be great to record a loop on t1 switch part/patern whatever record something else but it is on its own track but still on t1…saving tracks

why do you want to switch part/pattern?

if you want to overdub onto the buffer you can do that. no need to switch parts or patterns.

the best way to solve your problem is to think more carefully about your end goal. what are you trying to acheive?

1 Like

I want separate layers. Like overdubbing but onto a next layer so that I can fade in out the track volume. If I overdub I can´t do that.

Agreed. To the OP: Why is saving tracks important for you? If we knew that it would help with offering ideas. I would use separate tracks to do what you describe. You can’t separate overdubs on pickup machines. And like @Open_Mike said, they are hard linked to the track recorders.

1 Like

Sorry, composed my response when you were posting. Separate-able layers on the OT means separate tracks.

Your easiest solution for right now, is to just use two pickups machines, and mix them with track level, or a scene targeting xvol on amp page.
You cannot undo the overdubs. If mixing them is necessary I don’t think you’ll be able to use one track. Switching loops that the first track plays when switching part/pattern is possible but it will cut off the one before it. For other options I require more coffee, in which time one could have a good manual read about flex machines and track recorders :wink:…

1 Like

Yeah you got it…I know I could use two tracks but i want to do it on one track to safe them. :slight_smile:

In order for the OT to mix two things with their own volume, they have to be on separate tracks(or direct from inputs). Each OT track can only play one sample at a time, as soon as you change what sample the track is playing the other sample is cut off…

1 Like

I have a trick to put two samples on one track and crossfade their levels: Record the two hard panned signals and use the spatialiser’s mid/side gain function to get a mono mix of the two, with the relative levels controlled by pan. Haven’t tried it with pickups.

3 Likes

Nice, that’s one of the reasons I love the OT so much. You can find ways to do what it doesn’t do… :totes:

So, Clancy might be on to something about where you want to go, although it’s a bit complex.
I wanted to say though that in general the OT plays 8 tracks, and when you switch parts it completely changes what those 8 tracks do. It’s not as if you have another 8 tracks in part 2 to work with and bring back to part 1, they are the same 8 tracks with different settings. There are settings to let the previous parts track play until the same track is trigged on the second part, but as soon as that track is triggered the sound from part one is cut off and switched…

2 Likes

Honestly the simplest answer (and the one I’ve been trying to avoid) is “No”, you must use another track.
There however may be ways to get close to where you want but in their complexity it will be probably better to arrive their later under your own cognition…
For now I would use two pickups, and if your short on tracks I’d try to free up a different one by using sample locks for example…

3 Likes

Yes. What Open_Mike said. Anything else is going to be a hack approach.

Having said that (!) I have just tried the spatialiser mono trick on pickups and it seems to work great. So I’m sharing it. Waters be muddied.

Put spatialiser on fx slot 1. Leave the main settings as they are, but on setup page turn M/S on and turn SG all the way down.

Now do your overdubbing, but route some stuff to input A and some to input B. You can now crossfade between the two using pan.

You can overdub on one side or the other. But You can’t erase just one side though so it doesn’t fully meet the OP request.

(Note: the fact in using spatialiser is a bit misleading. It’s just the only way I know to get a stereo signal on a track summed to a mono output, while retaining the different audio on L & R.

Also note: im not sure the resulting ‘mono’ output is entirely legit. I think stuff to do with phase comes into this which I don’t yet fully grasp, but it sounds good to me!)

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I will give your explanation go an d try it out. Sounds interesting!

1 Like