Parameter slides with modulo TRC

I have unexpected behaviour when using slide trigs with trig conditions, now I know that % trig conditions won’t work because the OT can’t predict if the next trig will be positive or not, BUT I have had some success with other trig conditions, however the behaviour is erratic.

Here’s an example describing how the pattern is set up with a 32 bar sample (pattern scale set at 64 step, 1/2 scale)

1st trig with slide trig and TRC 1:4, Filter base locked at 0

16th trig with trigless lock and TRC 4:4, Filter base locked at 64 (or any other high value, this is just an example)

The pattern will repeat 4 times before the sample loops. The desired effect is a smooth sweep of the filter base across the full 32 bars, however when played the sweep occurs abruptly (across the first 2 cycles) then finishes very slowly across the final 2 cycles. It sounds as if the sweep is exponential rather than linear. Interestingly, if the trigs are set to 1:2 and 2:2, the sweep occurs in a linear way, it seems to be longer sweeps that are affected. Also, if I program an LFO and p-locks to do the same task, I get a smooth linear sweep.

Ive contacted support and they say that slides can work FROM a locked TRC but not TO a locked TRC. This makes sense but doesn’t explain how Ive actually got it working. Is it just pure fluke that it sometimes works?

Ha! I was getting all excited about this feature, then support said its not actually a feature :thinking:

2 Likes

Interesting question - I remember posing a similar one for intervening TRCs which don’t occur - is expected behaviour that the slide looks for a valid end point (how can it predict?) or steps to next real trig … something vaguely like that iirc … curious to explore this later to see what’s what so that you can try to predict what will happen in related scenarios … I may be confusing with mute trigs (A4 etc) in terms of what should happen with slides when mute trigs are active, need to look this out

I disagree with the reality of the summary quoted - it is currently possible (as you’ve noted) to Slide from a Locked TRC and TO a locked TRC

e.g. with two long notes on 1 and 9 where 9 has a 1:2 TRC and a parameter locked difference to 1, the long note on 1 will always slide to the value locked on 9 - this happens whether the trig on 1 is a TRC or not and whether the parameter locked value is on 1 or 9 or both - the slide will engage, you just won’t trigger the env/note of 9 every time, but 1 will slide to the setting of 9 - so you can slide to a TRC

(tested on A4, but sounds like this is the case for you too)

[you can’t slide to a muted trig on the A4 fwiw]

1 Like

Hey, thanks for taking a look at this!

I’ve been messing about with this again today but still can’t figure out the ‘rules’ properly, its a little erratic. I can get nice sweeps across 2 pattern cycles but it goes a bit wonky across 4 cycles.

Whats cool is you can add more TRCs in to the sequence and it does actually figure out the right order even if, say a 4:4 trig is placed before a 2:2 trig in a sequence, if there is a slide occurring then the 4:4 trig doesn’t interrupt it until it should on the 4th cycle. Nice for triggering new slides with different values!

1 Like

may well be different on the OT to my looksy on A4, will look back at this, but a parameter slide should only slide to the next trig sequentially … it shouldn’t factor in the scheduling of modulo values - but maybe the erratic thing is because OT is following a different path, maybe sliding to a TRC doesn’t work as proposed but it’d be odd for there to be different behaviours between boxes

1 Like

I think maybe it was working ok with multiple TRCs because I was using trigless locks to alter the parameter slides. Its certainly not perfect but can have nice results sometimes :slight_smile: