Parameter Locks on the MPC Live? Nope : ) But here's a Workaround!

Heyja,

first thing i tried after i got my MPC Live two days ago was: How can i - somehow - get the Parameter Locks back :slight_smile: Its not possible, thats obvious i guess. But i thought about a Workaround and i wanna post it here - in case some of you thought about that too but havent found a solution yet:

Hope this helps some of you out.

Cheers
umo

5 Likes

Nice work - lots of potential here.

1 Like

thanks mate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a cool tutorial! I have the A4mk2 and was trying to figure out if I should get the ARmk2 for sequencing and that fabulous PARAMETER locking. I also enjoy knowing it can sample. Was trying to decide which device to get: MPC Live or ARmk2 for house, ambient, soulful house all while not having to stay in front of the computer DAW. Looks like a decent amount of work to put in although it doesn’t seem to actually vary the parameters one note at a time as the Rytm does. Regardless, you did a great job of presenting this as a real life option. Audio is good…thank you for making the time to create something that will help lost souls like me find answers through challenges!

Updates to the MPC added automation lanes. It is now possible to add automation to any parameter on a per step basis. Very much like plocks

that is right

maybe I am wrong but i found out, that when you are going to make an automation lane for a parameter in a certain pattern, then the manipulated parameter stays in the next pattern

Yes… unfortunately the OS has these kinds of quirks. 2 ways of addressing this.
1: Go to the sequence which is being affected by the previous sequence’s automation. Set automation to write. Set transport to overdub and press play. Automate the affected parameter to its default value. I do this by setting the parameter where I want it before starting the sequencer and then touching the qlink.
2nd way is to use the list editor, add the parameter on the first step of the sequence, and set default value.

I just use the list editor as it’s part of my old MPC workflow.

1 Like

What update number is this you’re referring to? I’d like to check that out but, regardless, I’m glad you’re up to speed on the changes. I was thinking maybe this topic title should have been “Parameter Locks/Trig Conditions?”. As such, is there a way to enable/set up trig conditions on the MPC Live as we’ve grown accustomed to on the Elektron devices? In my opinion for my use, if you can’t have the varying swing and triggering AND [quick & simple] parameter locking why use the MPC Live at all (aside from the pitch shifting and time stretching capabilities)? I can see how the MPC Live and A4mk2 would be a powerful team.

Thank you again for any shared insight and references I can read up on or view!

I’m fairly certain the 2.6 update addressed automation lanes and editing.
Trig conditions and Probability are not part of the MPC sequencer. When I had a digitakt I realized how powerful these features could be. But these tricks are also necessary on elektron boxes because of the constraints. After a while,. I felt like to get what I wanted I had to do math all the time. When just jamming it was all good though.
In contrast the MPC doesn’t have the same constraints as far as sequence/pattern length or the number of those sequences. When I need variations, I copy the sequence and make changes. You can use song mode to join those sequences together. 8 banks of pads per program allows for all sorts of variations to samples. Effects can be applied per pad or program. Further effects can be on a return channel receiving from pad level sends or program level. And all of those can be automated.
At the end of the day it’s more playing things into the sequencer real time than programming them. That said, there are a whole lot less happy accidents but I can get where I want without having to think about it too much. To be fair I’ve been on the MPC workflow for 25 years lol.
The new gen MPCs are the most efficient platform for sampling and slicing I’ve have ever used, period. It’s effortless.
There definitely isn’t a ton of overlap between the workflows and features, which is why I have M:S incoming.

2 Likes