Parameter locked Trigs not blinking

I’m using Syntakt but I’ve noticed this before with Digitakt/Digitone. Sometimes Trigs with parameter locks don’t blink as described in the manual, and I finally worked out that it’s locks on the Trig page, note, velocity, condition, etc. Parameter locks on any other page cause the trig button to blink as described. Is this normal? I don’t understand why this page wouldn’t be included. It’s probably one of my most common use cases, to quickly see which trigs might have a trig condition locked.

IIIRC, on A4 and AR, Note/Trig page parameters are linked to Pattern, other parameters to Kit. You can recall them.

Seems similar on Syntakt (Kit Data, Sequenced Data), but reload is menu diving. So Trig page trigs are recorded to a different level. That can be an explanation, but I also think they should blink.

SAVE TO PROJ You must have saved the project at least once before you can save pattern information.

• WHOLE PATTERN Saves the active pattern’s sequence data and kit to the +Drive. A prompt appears when you select this option. Press [YES] to save, or [NO] to cancel the operation.

• KIT DATA Saves the active pattern’s kit to the +Drive. A prompt appears when you select this option. Press [YES] to save, or [NO] to cancel the operation.

• SEQUENCE DATA Saves the active pattern’s sequence data to the +Drive. A prompt appears when you select this option. Press [YES] to save, or [NO] to cancel the operation.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you, but the Digi lineup is different than the A4, AR, and OT in that there are no kits, all sounds and sound parameters are part of the pattern and saved within the pattern. Anyway, I don’t know why it took me so long to notice that it was specifically trigs with P-locks only on the trig parameters page that don’t blink. The manual doesn’t note any difference in this behavior that I could find.

It’s a longstanding (occasional?) bug I’ve noticed on the Digitakt a fair amount too. Not sure if I’ve seen it on the Digitone but probably.

So seems to be something endemic to the Digi’s sequencer programming that’d be good if it was fixed…

I’m not sure if it’s a bug. I think the trigs blink when they have been recorded in while the sequencer is running. However, I could be wrong :thinking:

There are more things in common with A4/AR with Digis than with OT.

DT is directly made from AR. AR MKII got things from DT with the sampling part ! A lot of dna in common.

You have parts, which can be considered as kits saving all samples assignments, fx, etc. Patterns saves notes and musical structures, parts sound settings.

2 different levels of saving it, copy / paste. As on A4/A4, Digis.

No, according to the manual, any trig with a parameter lock should blink. This is in fact the case regardless of how the trigs were entered (grid, live record, step record)for any trigs with parameter locks, EXCEPT (apparently) trigs that only have parameter locks on trig page parameters (note, velocity, condition, etc.). These don’t blink on DT/DN/ST. I don’t know if it’s a bug or intended behavior, but I can’t find any mention of it in the manual.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware. I was simply stating how the trigs seem to behave in practice :grin:

Digitakt, Digitone, and Syntakt have no data structure called a kit or a part. Sound and trig data are saved in the pattern, as explained in the data structure section of the respective manuals. I’m not sure where you’ve found the info that trig data and sound data are saved separately in different data structures on those machines. Can you refer me to anything in the manual that says this? Of the A4, AR, and OT, the only one I own is A4 (MkII) and though obviously all the Elektron boxes have a lot in common, A4 handles sound and trig data much differently than the DT, DN, and ST.

Yes :content: ! Kit is written 9 times in Syntakt manual ! Read it more carefully please.

KIT DATA Saves the active pattern’s kit to the +Drive. A prompt appears when you select this option. Press [YES] to save, or [NO] to cancel the operation

As you don’t seem to try to understand what I mean, aka Digis inherited from Analogs behaviors (Trig/Note page plocks not blinking), and that it can be an explanation for line up coherence, the only thing I can say is :

feature-request@elektron.se

The way that Elektron have configured this is perfect and deliberate.

It would be absurd to have a situation where parameters associated with the ‘track’ (i.e. nothing to do with the sound configuration) would blink

If you live record (or any input method) in a performance then EVERY trig would blink anyway - thus rendering the benefit of isolating trigs (by blinking) with sounds divergent from the current settings useless

It may be that Elektron don’t offer the convenience of the idea of saving or loading ‘discrete’ kits, but the notion of a kit is very much alive within the pattern data

It’s only useful to show blinking for the ‘kit’ parameters so the current implementation is very much by design and it’s the same reason it isn’t that way on any other device whether or not the notion of track/sound differentiation is ‘formal’

2 Likes

I think something helping to identify Trig Conditions would be usefull.

1 Like