Pads with MD?

i know it’s not built for pad sounds, but has anyone got tips on getting some background noise/pad sounds out of the MD?

liberal use of the reverb and delay usually works, but you still have that percussion attack.

I have this vague memory of a MD demo with two MDs and it had a lot of melodic content without fast attacks. I think it was ‘valve machinedrum’ or somethin. (going back a lot of years in my broken memory here)

what’s your recipe for non-drums on the best drum machine?

Using the RAM-machines, sample something with a long decay, reverse it and pitch it down on playback.

With a few ram-recorders/players going on at the same time, you will soon have something interesting going on.

It’s not very efficient or predictable - but the process is fun, and the result is unique.

With the regular machines, I think maybe some of the EFM-drums have a few sweet spots where you can get a longer attack.

/thomas

3 Likes

I wish I hadn’t cheaped out on the non UW and non +drive back in the day. RAM-machines would solve all my problems (mostly)

LFO set to single trigger and point that at the volume or filter for attack.

Delay for layering and boom instant pad territory.

7 Likes

that has got me pretty damn close to what I wanted. SHMIX is all to the right and pointed at volume. speed is low as it goes, and depth is just past midnight. SHP-2 is default.

1 Like

You can also try using the rom/e12 machines w very fast retrig speed and very high retrig amount. + the lfo trick described above

But yea now that youve got the envelopes figured out its just a matter of putting tones underneath that

Happy to help

2 Likes

Retrig is working great. Good tips here