PA system for small BBQ party

I Want to host some performances in parks or other public, sort of out-of-the-way areas. Nothing longer than 2-3 hours.

For quick setup/breakdown, I’m thinking all battery powered. Laptop, maybe a power pack for elektrons and other boxes.

I like these Mackie Thump Go speakers.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThumpGo--mackie-thump-go-battery-powered-loudspeaker

There’s also the Behringer MPA40BT, you could get a pair for under $500.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPA40BT--behringer-mpa40bt

I just question how powerful they are. How powerful is a pair of 40 watts speakers?

I measured the 400bt at 70 Watt consumption, i have a 500 watt inverter, and 384 wh lithium, that should run for around 3500 minutes, with 10 percent reserve, i think that would suffice with an additional silar panel for a weekend small party without the need to buy fuel. You need to add players/mixers to your budget, most of those get along with 10 - 25 watt.

1 Like

I have a pair of discontinued Yamaha DSR112 that are awesome, so I would recommend some of the newer Yamaha powered pa speakers DXR or DBR.

1 Like

These are DIY PA speakers, with incredible flat response, i would love those as active system, anyone has similar builds with active plate amps? The video is in german, but he does a rew measurement, that looks very awesome.

Have a look around here. This was originally set up by the guy behind Void Acoustics.
Loads of plans, ideas and help:
https://forum.speakerplans.com/

1 Like

Any specific plans to recommend? I can lurk around there, but I don’t need yet another deep focus dive offhand :stuck_out_tongue:

I can lose days in there and I really don’t know what I’m doing! I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If it’s just for small house parties, you don’t need very much. Even a full minirig would sort you out. I’ve done some garden and house parties with the sub and satellite speakers and they sound great. 1 sub and 2 satellites had around 30 people dancing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hah, yes. You are correct that people are more needed than loudness and “fidelity”, but I have more time to work on projects than I do events to throw at the moment.

Still Covid concerns + spouse not a fan of large gatherings + summer parties getting pushed off for a bunch of other logistical reasons = i have time for looking into overkill :slight_smile:

i was gonna recommend the Minirig setup too! i’ve seen this setup rock Turbo Island a few times now :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You would be surprised how well a mini-rig would do this, especially as you can them link up (buy another sub or top and link them).
The link would be a good DIY project. You do need to ask for the plans and post 10 times on the forum. The guy who designed them passed away, so when the plans are sent the forum ask for a donation to the British Heart Foundation in Tony’s memory:

Turbo Island! Went to visit Elevator Sounds a little while ago, just after Superbooth. I was going to a Duvet Vous/Smokescreen Soundsystem birthday celebration. Chewed their ears off and bought some patch cables for their time!
I miss living in Bristol (where the Mini-Rig was designed and still built).

1 Like

If you’re looking at a compact, lightweight and very capable PA system then look at the HK Audio 600 series: HK Audio Lucas Nano 602 – Thomann UK

Less than 15kg total, very powerful for its size (it can accomodate 100-120 people easily), easy to fit in a car trunk and store at home. And it can be paired with another system if you want to expand later. This system series has been on the market for more than 20 years, and there’s a reason why it’s still there :slight_smile:
I have an older Nano 600 kit that’s still rocking after 5+ years, and it’s perfect for electronic music.

You can pair it with a small generator like this one: https://amzn.eu/d/1pWw0Qg if you plan to go far from a plug. You could even add a small light rig along it.

1 Like

I went now with RCF 702 AS II (17 kg), its like having a private techno club now, and its only one of them.

Any possibility of a donation and passing on the plans directly?

I’d be up for it but i participate in too many forums :frowning:

I’ve just messaged the person involved on the forum, hopefully I can on the details of the process to you soon.
Thanks
Chris

2 Likes

That’s quite kind!

Thank you. I may still engage with them but job + music + having that on workbench + good faith building up posts on another technical forum is more spoons than I’ve got.

1 Like

ssystem

This is what they mean when they say “kill shot”

I hope your arm is beginning to heal @pmoldzio or at least you were able to have a nice time on your trip regardless!