Overlay for the Cycles

Not sure if people already saw this but Oversynth released a new set of overlays for the Cycles. Very similar to the Samples ones, though there is an additional sticker you can order separately that lists all the machine knob functionality which I think is a really nice option because I feel like I constantly have that page in my manual open. I had already inquired with them to see if they were going to release one of these so they were nice enough to email me when they released it. I ordered the Darkfox one below and will try and post some pics once I receive it and get it installed though it doesn’t differ too much from the Samples versions.

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Yes!
I wish they had an option without the keyboard. I’m in the habit of changing the pads root note and the black and white keys will be a bit confusing, other than that they look lovely!

From the pics depending on where they put the adhesive bits, it looks like you might be able to use a ruler and razor blade to cut across where the top of the trigger cut outs are without losing any of the labels above.

1 Like

Hi

A bit off topic but,… I don´t really like the look of the overlays but see the purpose. So I was thinking of getting some different colored knobs for it.

Do any of you know which kind of knobs/size/ will fit the encoders of the model cycles?

Thanks

1 Like

I ordered a “Schofield” with cheat sheet, as I already have the “Schofield” on my M:S.

I’m not that into the green, and in truth I got the Schofield for my MS as I found it to be the least ugly one. I wish the Schofield on the M:C looked more like the M:S but I also think that the color balance in the pics is off a bit, so we’ll see when it arrives.

The Schofield on the MS, I really prefer the grey at the bottom:

So yea, we’ll see. Perhaps the green on the MC overlay makes more sense thanks to the tinted shade of gray on the MC case itself.

What I really would prefer is the “Tokyo” design they’ve used for the DFAM and M32. I’ve requested it and they said they’d add it to the list, but that was some time ago. I think it’s their best design, and prefer how it keeps to fewer colors while still segmenting the instruments:

3 Likes

So the adhesive bits are down by PATTERN and PAGE buttons.
The knob caps hold it down pretty well.

But when I installed it on my MS I used double sided tape in other places to keep it from moving around when I used it, and that has helped a lot.
I put a small bit of double sided tape above steps 6 and 12, some next to the master volume, and some around the display.
Just be sure you have it properly aligned with the included adhesive first. Check by using all of your step buttons. Mine was slightly misaligned at first and my Step 16 button was getting stuck on the overlay after being pressed. (Really drove my head in, as I hadn’t noticed the 16 button was staying down, and it seemed like my M:S was locking up during certain functions when the 16 button held down)

1 Like

I used a (way) cheaper alternative und used 5mm marker points !Worked pretty well.“Worked“ because i already sold the cycles to get DT , DN and A4 MKII instead.Cycles was the entry level drug and pushed me into this direction :slight_smile:

image|666x500

4 Likes

That´s a pretty good idea, thanks. And way cheaper!

Tokyo one looks nice…I didn’t like any of the Model ones, they seem toyish :frowning:

The schofield MS looks way better in person.

Mostly I like how much it differentiates the function button

2 Likes

Thanks !
I’ve been waiting for it ^^
Sunbleach on model:samples & Darkfox on model:cycles for me
model:white VS model:black
can’t wait !

These Overlays are cool, hopefully they come up with more designs in the near future.

The cheat sheet is handy I have to say, even though M:S and M:C become very instinctive in no time, I barely look at the knobs anymore…

…which leads me to…

Elektron should come up with artist laced overlays or something similar…

seeing what Cuckoo came up with, how dope it looks and what Oversynth does, they should definitely come up with overlays of their own…

…Just sayin’.

2 Likes

Bought. Think I chose the darkfox and the cheat sheet. Only issue is I like to work in lowlight. Or at least, I find it’s usually lo light when I am an Elektronaut. Hope this helps me see which dial/button is which :see_no_evil:

Regardless, looking forwards to its arrival…

The Cycles Tokyo Overlay is here!
woot!

also for M:S…

and an updated Schofield, in line with the M:S Schofield:

7 Likes

Red isn’t even my color but damn that Tokyo looks better than the Moog version.

1 Like

I did some very minor consultation on the design. He did a good job with it.
Should look great with my A4 MK1 and OT MK1

2 Likes

Hmm, interesting. I totally appreciate the idea behind the overlays, but I’m actually finding that the more I use the cycles, the less I need to see the labels. The muscle memory develops quickly. Plus, I find that I twist knobs and listen to fine tune the results. These model boxes invite me to experiment more than anything else I’ve ever used. I think I’m getting closer and closer to pulling an Ess and covering the majority of the front with the big stickers. :astonished: get really artsy with it, like graffiti.

4 Likes

I actually like most of the overlays quite a bit. I ordered one, but can’t remember which one! I was mostly thinking of which might be easiest to make out in bad stage lighting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wrote them and asked about a custom layout for my neutron to match the Tokyo for my dfam and they did say they could do it but it would take longer to get it completed. Ask them if they can do something custom for your models. Just a suggestion.