Overhub Issues

Thank you! I wasn’t aware of that! I don’t have any OB machines except for the DT for now. But planning to expand. I tested my USB3 hub and it doesn’t slow down when plugging in mixed devices. My guess is that is has MTT.

The bDeviceprotocol is 0x3 on my hub. On usb 2 hubs 0x2 means MTT and 0x1 mean no MTT. My hub is usb 3 though. We’ll see how it behaves if I buy one of the analogue machines. Can always buy Overhub if it doesn’t work out.

My Overhub fell apart, that is the USB connector thing just came out when I took the cable out, and it was careful. Really shoddy build quality that’s for sure.

My Overhub is hosting 7 devices (USB3 connection to my MacPro): A4, Rytm, Octatrack, Tempest, Line6 HD500X, Steinberg dongle and VirusTi.

Overbridge is working simultaneously with the Virus and all the other devices.

Took Apple a couple of goes to get Sierra’s USB system solved, but it’s now all working OK for me.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, depending your system, but in my case - I’m happy.

3 Likes

Update: just tried the latest MacOS update and yes, over bridge is sadly broken.

…but this does at least demonstrate that it’s a software issue, rather than a hardware issue.

3 Likes

…and another update.

I’ve now got everything working again!

Seems that the update has meant I’ve had to shuffle things around on various busses.

So, I now have A4 and Rytm on the Overhub (plus a few more low bandwidth devices) and have the VirusTi on a Sonnet Thunderbolt USB3 adapter.

It’s all working fine. Looks like VirusTi was hogging the bandwidth or something…?

3 Likes

IIRC Virus TI is most happy when it’s on it’s own bus without a hub at all. I ran into so many problems using it since 2006 that it just became a rule for me when I had it - had to have it on it’s own directly connected USB connection. Once I did that I rarely had problems (unless an OS update was a stinker).

2 Likes

Yeah, I knew that was received wisdom. The Sonnet adapter didn’t work at all with Virus Ti until now.

I am having problems with my overhub, my external mouse and keyboard stop working in cubase all the time…

Do you have it powered?
USB 3.0 mobo drivers updated?
Mobo updated?

I run overbridge and overhub on my PC without out a single issue in cubase. Smooth as a butter with low latency settings.

So, since I recently got hold of an AK, I did a few experiments on Overhub.

It looks like the maximum number of channels I can get, using AR, A4 and AK is 8. Any more than that and one of the units stops streaming audio altogether. USB3 should be able to stream more than that.

This is using my 2013 cylinder-style MacPro (6 core) and the new 10.12.6 MacOS. Ableton 9.7.3 (although I can see the problem just using the OB control panel). All the Elektron parts of the system are up-to-date as of today. I’ve tried USB3 cable and a USB2 cable to the Overhub.

Wonder if my MacBook Pro (2011), which is USB2 only, would do any better? Might give that a go.

My overhub died. The usb3 port to my computer came loose. Opened it and there’s no protection for the port inside the hub. Just soldered on. Mine broke with a rather small amount of pressure. Anyone else with the same problem?

My MacBook is about the same, but I can get 10 channels going on there. If I try to allocate any more, I get an error. I don’t get errors for over-allocation on the Mac Pro.

I guess I could use 16 bit instead of 24 bit and get a few more channels that way…

eight channels in total? 16 or 24bit?
i have late 2012 mbp-r and im not sure how it’s handling it’s usb ports, i think i read that if one connected machine runs lower than usb3, everything else does too. as now i run a no-name powered seven port usb hub to one of the two usb ports on the computer and i can get 12 channels at 24bit. i just ordered a overhub because my hub has become glitchy and can drop connection to the computer which is not a good thing when stuff is running

24 bit.

Mine too. Six devices connected, including two Elektrons with Overbridge. Works.

1 Like

Me too. Seems like the connector on the back side broke although I used caution when plugging the cable in.

What did you do with your unit? Did you repair it or return it?

Obviously, the build quality is not up to standards as the other Elektron products-

anyone tried Overhub on a newer macbookexpensivepro with USB-C? Maybe the new usb standard solve some problems with Overhub and Overbridge?

Are there any special needs for an USB-C hub / Docking Station?? (So basicly puting Overhub into a USB-C Hub or a docking station)?? I don´t like the idea to run an usb hub via an usb hub … and basicly just pay another 200-300 EUR for adaptor on top of a new studio laptop … but looks there is no choice for logic users :wink:

any plans from Elektron to support USB-C?

I contacted them with the same issue and they offered a replacement @ 50% off…

You can buy a cable or adapter. I just bought adapter one from Nonda and it’s working without a problem with my Macbook Pro 15 2017 with Touchbar. But I also ordered the Belkin cable USB C to Micro B cable just in case.

Nonda Adapter

Belkin Cable
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-B2C008/

As I search around, I’ve found I’m not the only one who is finding Overhub’s USB main connector breaking. I’ve left 5 messages (email and phone) with Elektron with zero response. I’ve tried re-soldering the connection with no luck. I love Overbridge functionality but am feeling gun-shy about buying a new one since I’ve hardly even moved my Overhub and it’s now non-functional. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

1 Like