Overhub - USB Isolation?

I get a ground-loop hum every time I plug in my Eventide Space into the computer (iMac) via the USB cable. It’s the only device I have this trouble with.

I’ve read that a USB-USB Isolator can help. I’ve been thinking about an Overhub for some time however - does it have that kind of isolation capability built-in? Anybody know?

1 Like

I would also like to know that, did you solve this issue ?

1 Like

Just curious, but why do you need to have the USB connected to the Space?

Isn’t it just for software updates and patch storage?

Or is there MIDI over USB too ?

I have a Space. Only ever connected the USB for updates

Good luck affording an isolator that will run at a full 5+Gbps (USB 3) spec. You can get 480Mbps isolators to go in line with a hub, or a hub with built in isolation, though most of the latter seem like they’re making dubious claims.

I had a similar issue, I solved not by isolating the USB but by ground lifting on the cables to my monitors. I modded my cables, but you can get utility boxes that do this.

Well DI boxes are used to lift ground loop hum in live music situations. You could try that. That won’t cost much. It is likely the power supply of the Space that is causing the noise. You could try another power supply.

If you have a way to connect by DIN midi, these are much less susceptible to noise than usb midi. I’ve read about this, and it happens with my little phatty, usb connection gives low level buzz (although exeptably low so useable) and when connecting by DIN is silent…
Ground noises are tricky to isolate and are effected by most every connection in the studio. Even though the noise happens when connecting the usb, I’m not sure that means it will be solved with the usb connection? The noise comes up when a device finds a shorter less resistance path to ground and uses that instead of it’s regular ground… Gets tricky with computer, interface, mixer, gear, and various connections in between all…
Anyway try DINs if you can…

MIDI over USB for MIDI Clock, plus the H9 Control software is amazing.

Ok that makes sense. I usually just set the BPM inside the unit to match what I’m working on at the time. Never had much faith in MIDI clock. Must check out H9 at some point

hi, thanks, it needs to be usb port for my sonic potions lxr, i don’t have enough midi ports. I have usb ports on laptop i can not use , fill stupid to buy another peace of gear just because. So overhub is no guaranty to have better working usb porst ?

I really don’t know but I would imagine “no guarantee” is a very safe bet on that… :wink: good luck!

H9 app in imac/macbook is great to control the space. just wishing you can integrate that as a vst / au in your DAW and control it with automation.
I have no issue with my Space connected to overhub … or at least I didn´t noticed it yet.

I use an iPad to control and record automations of the Space parameters in real time (in ModStep), it works perfectly. For ground isolation of the USB port (for me the OP-1 was the problem), I use https://hifimediy.com/usb-isolator
Just received it last week, it works, no more hiss on the output of the OP-1. So it should work for the Space.
(and no need for H9 to do that)

1 Like