Overhub Issues

Same problem here, the USB 3.0 Micro B Host connector port on the Overhub is such a lousy quality.
So much money for this piece of shit. I mean what´s the deal with bulding in a connector, that doesns´t break while simply connecting a cable? Sucks big time elektron. Have to open a support ticket. :fury:

1 Like

Exactly- I’ve opened support tickets- twice. Busy with Namm maybe?

Yikes, mine’s kind of loose also, so bumping this up for visibility.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the info. I returned mine within the refund time and got a new unit. It’s running good so far.

1 Like

Same problem. My Overhub’s Micro-USB connector became loose somehow and started wiggling – the hub no longer works. I have had the hub on my desk for the last 6 months without touching it. I’ve only been plugging in and plugging out the OTHER end of the cable to my laptop. That broke the hub? Or just the normal strain from the USB-cable? Wtf? If it’s true that the only thing holding the micro-USB connector in place is the soldered connection to the board, no wonder it broke. That sounds like idiotic design.

Thank god I bought this from Thomann who offer a three-year warranty on everything, cause my Overhub is over one year old. Thomann just replied and promised to send me a new hub without needing the broken hub back – which is the only reason why I’m not super angry about this.

1 Like

My Overhub connector broke too; unit is little more than one month old and I have barely touched it. I’ll contact the store and see how this goes…

Oh, good to know this is a common problem, my overhub is also super loose and the cable it came with was of poor quality , had to be replaced straight out of box, in fact when I use the overhub I am scared to connect anything new into it because it will most likely go loose and disconnect.
My laptop has 3 usb ports, I usually run my audio card into one port, a4 into another and two rytms into port that is split by overhub.

1 Like

Yep. Just destroyed my 2nd Overhub. I disconnected it only 2 times, reconnecting it a third time broke the USB 3 Host plug. Crap! I ordered a similar 7 port hub from Anker now. Hope that does it as well as the Overhub did. But with a more descent quality and reliability…

Is it confirmed multi tt?
And if so, can you post a link to the product?

I own 2 hubs and its not a cheap investment. Both hubs having issues with the usb 3.0 connector being utter garbage. I had to open them both up and they are just trashed, not even a year old, and literally not touched except to put my devices in and leave at the back of my rig.

I would never buy these hubs again, there are far better hubs with superior quality in manufacturing.

These are just plain garbage. Both failed the same way, 3.0 connector loose, but let’s face it, anyone who actually sees how it was built will see that the 3.0 connector is barely attached to the hub and the solder points are so poorly done its no wonder they failed.

2 Likes

Maybe they should try soldering instead?

+1 same for mine

which hub? overhub? i got it when it first came out and knock wood it’s been super awesome in every way.

in that case I will stick to my cheap USB hubs and save money

No Overbridge, no hub problem! :rofl:

Sucks though as they are quite expensive.

2 Likes

Ya, got that. Typed from my phone lol, samsung prefers to sauder ;p

Overhub was a fail with my computers, didn’t give any benefits for ob1 and didn’t work as a regular USB hub without external power (not included in the package)

Guess the usb3 and usb2 controller in my DAW and the USB controller in my laptop aren’t compatible for some fucking reason.

They look cool, and they have a very sturdy metal case. That’s. good.

Perhaps I should try it again now that I’m on Windows 10, might as well be some driver issue that now is resolved.

I love Elektron gear and have pretty much everything they’ve ever made. I guess in many ways I am a fan boy. That said, I have two overhubs, I use them in a large midi/synth based studio and very rarely need to unplug them. I use a mac book pro. I also have an access Virus Ti2 that is really fussy about USB.
When overhub works, it’s the best USB hub I have ever used.
Problem I have is that both units have the same issue: the USB 3 connector has become so wobbly that it wont connect properly. This is really weird as I hardly ever unplug/plug stuff in and it’s not hanging off my desk by the USB cable or any similar abuse, I fear it’s just a bad design for that specific component.
Of course I just opened a ticket, and my experience with Elektron support has always been very positive, so I fully anticipate that this will be resolved. I’d just suggest that Elektron review this flaw and look to update very soon.
For the severely disgruntled/haters on this thread, yes this is annoying and frustrating, and yes Overbridge is taking way longer than expected for Digitakt and other devices. Yes the hub should be perfect. But to discount the whole body of work that Elektron has delivered and the amazing longevity of support for devices like Octatrack (which is still getting new features 8 years into product life) because of a USB hub or a software delay is probably a little disproportionate. Every manufacturer has issues at some point. There are bugs in Korg, Roland and Yamaha products that never get fixed, same with iOS/OSX and Win10.
The truth about making music with technology is that sometimes the “leading edge” becomes the “bleeding edge.” Yes it sucks, and yes its great to let people know that there are issues as this helps the whole community. But at some point, you have to find a work around and move on. That’s what makes great engineers and producers.

I can see from the posts I’m not the only one with an Overhub whose Micro-B USB port came loose quite easily :frowning: :unamused:

It’s too tiny for me to solder, but I found a place to redo the surface mounts for me, fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Same for me. My micro USB port came loose.