Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

Hi guys,

I have to admit, I am pretty annoyed of having the same issue on a fully loaded late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina. I have written to Elektron to see if there is any work around as the supplied USB 2.0 cable trick doesnt work. I have also tried Avantronica’s suggestion of using a micro b cable instead but again I only see audio coming from my Rytm or A4 rather than both.

Running Ableton 9.7 here and also get intermittent crashing like krusty above… this is super effin frustrating…

Any other work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

I had these problems too, in terms of how many devices I can connect and how many channels.

The good news is, that I’m having much better results with MacOS Sierra.

It’s not supported yet, but some of us have managed to implement a work-around (detailed in the Sierra thread).

Whereas previously I could only get A4 and Rytm to work together, was to limit each to just the stereo outputs, I can now get the full maximum channels per unit working.

2 Likes

What does it give better than a standard USB hub? Or is it just like wearing a t-shirt with Elektron logo instead of one with Nike? :slight_smile:

No it is not. Google Multi-TT USB hub.

2 Likes

To me, Overhub gave me nothing but headaches. I’m using A4 and Rytm. Streamed both machines through a standard USB Hub without any problems. In thought of streaming more channels I bought the Overhub. Amount of possible channels were the same and I encountered glitches or only one machine were detected. I will sell Overhub and go back to my old hub.

Ok, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

love the Overhub. currently streaming my A4, AR, and Push 2. But does anyone know what’s up with the power supply that didn’t come with the cable?

2 Likes

I’m upgrading to my 2010 MPB to the new macbook pro. Would overhub work if I plug it in a USB 3.0 to USB-c hub I plan to buy ? (https://www.amazon.fr/Ethernet-Macbook-ChromeBook-Ordinateurs-Tablettes/dp/B01BUP1V4W/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481713961&sr=1-19&keywords=aukey+usb+c)

Not sure how usb-c works, but basically I’ll have my sound card and overhub plugged into this usb 3.0 hub, and other stuffs my Elektron machines and midi controllers plugged into the Overhub.

does the Overhub really need a 3A power supply or would 2A also be sufficent? (if I don’t have to power too many devices, I’ve got an Pyramid to power, otherwise Push 2, Rytm 2 and A4)

(I know I’ve got too many sequencer options)

Hi, can anybody prove that Overhub not rebrand of this product ?
It’s the same manufacturer as originals one (name is on overhub sticker) , same case, looks the same.
Just the Chineese one doesn’t have MTT technology listed there.

Does anybody have pics of inside of overhub to compare chips/layout

Thanks!

Hahah nice find. Almost a 700% markup :sunglasses:

1 Like

There’s a big chance they are the same, Overhub is made by Blueendless Electronics Ltd :smiley:

To find the real profit margin you need to also consider graphic customization and shipping.

1 Like

Mine just has a sticker

After little research (all thanks to Rezpkt from DOA) these are the findings:
Overhub is produced by Bluendless Electronics Ltd. and the model number is BS-HUB3.0

Thsi pictures show inside of overhub. And we can see 2x GL3520 chips (that do the MTT stuff
) to handle 2x 4 usb ports

That alibaba link from my first post looks like is using same outside case like overhub, but MTT is not mentioned and PCB photo on alibaba looks different to the one up here. So it’s possible it’s not exactly overhub inside but looks like it from the outside.

on the other hand we can find usb 3.0 hubs that use exact same chip like one in Overhub - the GL3520 .

Example here:

In theory overhub and this cheap usb 3.0 should work the same as they are using the same chips inside.

Another HUB with the GL3520 chip
" Stable & Reliable

** GL3520 chip ensures faster and more stable data transfer."*

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71IqE2NY6DL.SL1001.jpg

I use these, they work perfectly.

Manhattan 7-Port USB 2.0 Ultra Hub, Plug and Play C Windows and Mac compatible (161039) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035LXOPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HgwvDbJACXMDK

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. What is your setup how many elektrons do you have plugged in to that hub?

I had RYTM and A4 mk1, DN and DT and also a Virus TI2.

1 Like