Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

I’m also having the USB3 issue. Works great over USB2.

A good solution for most USB3 issues is simply to add an USB2 hub in between.

or 2x USB 1 hubs :zonked: … or USB to MIDI to CV

My concern is when USB2 becomes obsolete then I will no longer have that option.

just unboxed: very sexy :slight_smile:

Ok this kind of sucks, Overhub doesn’t seem to work on USB 3.0 ports. None of the ports on my retina play ball with a full channel count, 2.0 hub inbetween and its all great. Also my Seagate HD isn’t accepted on Overhub, and when connected to the 2.0 hub it disconnects one of the Elektrons. A fine mess, and time to call in support :slight_smile:

So how would OverHub be an USB 3.0 hub if you need a USB 2.0 hub in between?

USB 2 hubs are not compatible with USB 3 as far as I know :wink:

My main surprise is how the hell could they not have noticed this when testing this hub? It’s like, just not working. Did they only test on 2.0 ports? I’m pretty baffled by this tbh…

First of all, Overhub has been working fine for me using the USB 3 ports on my MacBook Pro. I’ve tested with up to 3 Overbridge enabled devices and everything worked as expected.

USB 3 is fully backwards compatible with USB 2 and earlier versions.

There are some cases however where early chipsets, devices, and/or driver software doesn’t work well together, or where early chipsets don’t properly support the USB 2 backwards compatibility for all devices. In those cases it might help to “force” the USB bus in USB 2 mode by using an USB 2 hub.

Please note that this is a stopgap solution for a rare issue that you really shouldn’t be having, and that most likely will go away when you get a new computer or update the OS, or get rid of that one weird device that’s causing trouble.

People complaining that their HDs don’t work when connected to an Overhub; please RTFM and buy an appropriate power supply for it.

(IMHO it would be nice if Elektron would have included a power supply with Overhub.)

1 Like

If you’re having trouble with USB 3 on a Mac, it might help to make sure you have the most recent EFI and SMC firmware installed. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

Yep!
:+1:
If you’re having trouble, check for software, driver or BIOS updates.

1 Like

HD was working fine on my unpowered 2.0 non-mtt USB-hub, no need to rtfm me for that. Not a fan of rtfm in general btw, but if it suits you, go ahead.

But thats not my main issue. Which is that I can only connect using a total of 8 channels for Overbridge on a pretty standard Mac USB 3.0 port. So what’s your channelcount?

Getting rid of that one weird device causing trouble, would that be my Analog Keys, or would you rather say the Rytm?

SMC update was a fix for battery use, unrelated, doesn’t fix Overbridge usage, but still nice to have. So lost karma points right back atcha :wink:

Woehahahaha

Overhub… not working as expected.

My old El Cheapo sitecom USB hub ( which came WITH power supply) : working like a charm.

I really would like to understand why overhub is not liking my USB3 ports at my macbook pro 9,2 Yosemite…

Awesome - thanks :+1: - so the same as in my £6 one :slight_smile:
works fine on USB3 btw obviously as it’s designed for that

1 Like

not that I’m affected or in ownership of overhub, but wouldn’t it be much simpler to use a usb2 cable at the back instead of the ‘extended’ usb3 one ?
no problems on mac usb3 port for me with a GL3520 Chipset hub

remember folks: you’ll get 500mA or so from this unpowered hub, a hard drive will typically need that by itself, overhub devices only need a small amount of mA each

1 Like

The back has a micro B USB 3.0 port. Do you mean using an adapter of some sort?

And yes, if only I had followed your buyers guide :frowning:

I also included a picture above I’m sure which shows that the usb3 port is backwards compatible with usb2, it just adds an extra section which you don’t plug into ! a mini2 will fit in a mini3 by design, therefore not capable of running at usb3 speeds

edit: I’m assuming mini but may be micro
edit2: no mini usb3 but same advice applies, any modern non iphone charging cable will work

1 Like

No way!

That would’ve never occurred to me, to just use a partial port and plug in a micro(mini?) cable. First thing tomorrow, USB-mania!

1 Like

you’re right, micro, but plugging into a usb2 port would do the same trick (not too common to have a mix of both though on one machine) or i’d imagine using a short usb2 extension cable - ie one made a few years back