Overhub plus alternative MTT USB hubs

yeah, i need a power supply too.

Ok so I just recieved my Overhub, and this is going to sound supersad, but its by far the nicest sturdiest USB-hub I have EVER seen. Solid, black matte metal casing, heavy build, and to my surprise not a micro-usb-port like most other hubs out there but one of those flat connections some of my HD’s have(Seagate uses them). Not sure but maybe this is a better connect for big data streams?

All in all, I am really impressed, by a damn USB-hub. Thank you, life. Only problem now is that the host cable is a LOT shorter than I expected. True studio-issues, how the f*** am I going to get from my AR and AK to my iMac…

Stuck somewhere between ergonomics and technology, the usual…

that hub is full metal jacket! … you could use it as a hammer … love the box it came in… and … well pictures says it all :heart:

EDIT: but it does not work for OB , only as a usb hub … AR and A4 still want to be connected to to the mainboard directly, and not through the overhub … muhaaa+facepalm … stay positive trabant I says!

EDIT 2: I must plug overhub into a USB2 port, not a usb 3 port … works fine now

1 Like

hey… since my OH does not work on a usb3 port, I plug in into a usb2 port, and then I am happy to use one of my trusty (amazon basics) usb2 extension cords …

Dude, you got stickers?? Seriously??

I got nothing :frowning:

Anyways, you might be right, wanted to keeep the chain as clean as possible, but I might be a techno hypochondriac. The same bad mental defect that made me pay 15eu each just to get official cables.

Its all in the mind…

u want the stickers? pm me ur adress

I had this problem too.
Right at the bottom of the Elektron website you can change your country.
I had no idea that menu was there, but apparently they’re looking at making it more obvious.

u want the stickers? pm me ur adress [/quote]
Thats the nicest thing to offer, thanks! Luckily I’m all overblinged with Elektron USB-cables so the gesture alone is more than sufficient to put a smile on my face :slight_smile:

Anybody know what the weird flat plug is called thats on the supplied usb-cable at the Overhub side? Would they be sold seperately and would length matter? And could I safely extend the hub to laptop-cable to 3 meters? The hub counts as a repeater, right? So 3 meters on each side would be safe? Am I losing the plot here on my lil usb-crazed bonanza?

The other side very likely has a USB 3.0 Micro B connector. You should be able to use any Micro-B to USB 3.0 Cable on the market, I think.

1 Like

if you want I can use my several meters extension chords / cords and test that for you ?
EDIT: 3 + meters after OH no problem (3meter is prox almost twice my body height)

I’m donating Trabant’s stickers to the first person to unscrew their overhub and tell us which Chipset is being used :wink: - don’t do it - perhaps Elektron shall chip in !
re cable form factor

1 Like

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something. Does that mean if your laptop has only USB 3.0 ports, Overhub simply will not work?—none of the Elektron and non-Elektron devices connected to an Overhub that’s connected to a USB 3.0 will work?

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something. Does that mean if your laptop has only USB 3.0 ports, Overhub simply will not work?—none of the Elektron and non-Elektron devices connected to an Overhub that’s connected to a USB 3.0 will work?[/quote]
I’m curious about this too… read that usually usb 3.0 is backwards compatible but is the Overhub with Overbridge needs a usb 2.0 port?

EDIT: I want some stickers too… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

got it in the mail yesterday :slight_smile:

my iMac has usb 3.0, it works no probs. no power supply needed as its bus-powered.

if u want to charge a device or one that requires power like a portable hard drive, then it needs to be powered.

however i can confirm mine works fine with ableton push also plugged in. which is cool :slight_smile: i’d imagine a few extra midi controllers would run fine too.

it’s much smaller than i imagined…

1 Like

BAH! Why you no have gold plated sockets?!? Good luck receiving studio grade USB signals on this thing! :smiley:

More seriously, did anyone find a suitable AC adapter yet? I’ve been looking around on Amazon and Fry’s, where I can easily find 4.5V/6V adapters with this plug size, but no 5V, unless you buy a massive $70 adapter that looks like it belongs to a janitor.

Thanks for the answer mattleaf. I’m waiting for mine and I want to connect my Rytm and A4 to it so I’m relieved that it does work on a usb3.0 port.

The Overhub contains two Genesys Logic “GL 3520” chips.
The circuit board has “BS-H1018U3-V1.0” printed on it.

(Excuse the crappy phone pictures)

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something. Does that mean if your laptop has only USB 3.0 ports, Overhub simply will not work?—none of the Elektron and non-Elektron devices connected to an Overhub that’s connected to a USB 3.0 will work?[/quote]
i have no idea …

The problem connecting to a USB 3 port might be related to the problems some Mac users (me included) have had with Yosemite.

El Capitan beta clears up the problems I was having in using devices on a hub.

On Yosemite, I couldn’t get the Steinberg Cubase dongle nor iLok working on either of my hubs. Since I tried the El Capitan beta, this seems to be OK now. Virus Ti is also now stable.

However, Overbridge doesn’t work at all on El Capitan for me. Elektron have said that they’re “on it”.

i am on pc … however I dont care right now cos it works fine over usb2 … cheers