Overbridge UI freezing up

Hey all,

My Overbridge was working just fine (1.15.0) and now the UI screen is frozen unless you either move the window, or unselect then select the window again. Level meters and controls won’t work in realtime. Otherwise, the program works as normal, I just can’t see what’s going on since the program appears to be frozen. It will pass CPU out, and change settings (you can’t see the update in changed settings until you move the window as described above)

Anyone else having this problem? I searched the forum and din’t see anything related.

My system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JDSPMKIII
System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model Surface Pro
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Surface_Pro_1796
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Microsoft Corporation 231.1662.769, 3/30/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Slate
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “10.0.16299.192”
User Name JDSPMKIII\danktle
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 810 MB
Total Virtual Memory 8.18 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.04 GB
Page File Space 4.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Thanks in advance.
-J

Welp, since Elektron has their hands full with a skeleton crew of a programming team (and don’t really reply to messages in this forum), this has become a shot in the dark. I’ll post what I know, and maybe someone can read this and it will help them out.

I’m running Overbridge+AK37+Surface Pro (current generation as of this post, as in the one AFTER the Surface Pro 4).

Critical system specs: 4gb RAM/128gb SSD, Intel i5 Kaby Lake, Windows 10 Pro.

Returned first Surface Pro, and installed everything clean on a brand new one, all latest updates installed. Overbridge WORKED without any issues. VST GUI window worked flawlessly inside of Reason 10.01. Everything tested fine, no issues as of a couple of hours ago.

The GUI hang issue appeared exactly as described above while the Surface was connected to the Analog Keys, as soon as the Surface went to sleep. There was also a loud feedback noise coming from the AK when this happened. Woke the Surface back up, and the GUI was frozen. Overbridge will refresh the graphics by grabbing the top of the window and moving the whole GUI panel around the screen.

Otherwise, the screen doesn’t refresh.

If anyone is listening at all, I hope this helps them, or they are able to help me :frowning:

Sounds like a driver problem to me. I can only guess that USB MIDI driver will crash during sleep mode while AK is still connected, causing the feedback loop and freesing the user interface. I should add that my brief experience with Overbridge in Win10 was disaster so I now work only with OSX 10.13. Its only slightly better in mac. Software these days…

Tell me about it. Thanks for the response t3h. Greatly appreciated! I’m assuming you’re right. I tried one mid-level system factory reset, but the machine went haywire, so I never got to test that one.

More info for anyone interested:

Not sure of a precise fix, though I’m sure one exists. For now, my workaround has been a complete system wipe which is no big deal since I’m using a machine now dedicated to just a VST host and Overbridge.

I was able to bring everything back to life with a factory reset of the Surface. I did made two system restore points before the last crash, and Microsoft conveniently deleted them during a Windows OS Update, so I don’t know the ability of System Restore (being phased out by Microsoft) to fix the problem.

THIS TIME, I have multiple images of the entire machine of everything in the working state to help isolate the exact cause, but I’m certain it’s an issue when the CPU goes to sleep. Going to play around to see if I can disable the CPU from going to sleep while Overbridge is running. Once I’m satisfied, I’ll try to repeat the conditions and see if I can reproduce the problem, as well as an isolated fix that doesn’t involve a full blown factory reset.

Anyhow, this is just info for anyone else who’s curious, or perhaps runs into the same problem. I hope someone finds all this useful…

They say that there will be an Overbridge update in few months so maybe this will help. Who knows.
Maybe it’s easier to just disable the sleeping mode entirely. I have disabled the sleeping mode when the computer is plugged in to the power cord. On battery power my pc goes sleep after 1 hour.
You just have to remember not to use Overbridge while on battery power, at least not longer than 1 hour.

Yeah, I usually have sleep disabled when plugged in, but since these are new machines I’m running on, I may have missed that step. Once I have checked out the images and make sure everything works, I will stress test everything in isolation to see what the exact problem is. Otherwise, I don’t have much choice but to wait for the update. Seems one is in order since the last revision is from 2016, and the new OB for Digitakt is on its way.

Thanks for chiming in once again!

Annnnnnnnnnnd… the problem is…

HIGH CONTRAST MODE.

Seriously. That’s what is causing the issue. I can turn High Contrast on and the Overbridge UI is unresponsive. Turn it off, and it works just fine. No problem with the CPU, no viruses, no strange anything else. Just a brand new laptop with a VST host (Reason of all programs – with shoddy VST support), and it works perfectly fine. Everything just checked out.

Anyhow, this thread is for anyone else who encounters the same problem. Cheers!

I have literally been going insane over this for the last two weeks. SO HAPPY to have the issue solved.

2 Likes