Overbridge, RYTM MK1, Studio One

So I just watched @DaveMech’s video on recording the Digitakt into SO4 and applied it to my Rytm.

But the mixer setup in Studio One seems…Well, very silly. Attached is a screenshot:

So I have the one external instrument put into my DAW (the VST overbridge Rytm) and I have to expand it out to the eight individual tracks…Then I have to add eight audio tracks and tell their input to be those eight individual “instrument” tracks of sorts? Because the instrument tracks can’t record on their own I guess.

Okay well that’s fine but when I record, and then I want to play back the recording, I now have to mute all of those tracks…So I routed them to their own bus (which I called Rytm Instrument) so that when I play back, I just mute that channel…And then I have all eight recorded audio tracks routed to their own bus (as I might often do) and call that Rytm record.

Is this the best way to go about this? I feel like it shouldn’t be this cumbersome.

This initial gripe aside, I’m really liking OB…Making use of the Elektron sequencer for P Locks and such, while also making use of DAW effects is amazing.

Oh also, it seems I have to have the Overbridge control software running at all times too? I also have my focusrite 18i20 plugged in via USB and it seems if I dont run the control software my computer isnt so happy (i.e. YouTube videos not playing any audio and my sound settings being inaccessible)

Ello :slight_smile:
It is indeed a bit silly. They fixed this in studio one 5 by creating a so called ‘aux channel’ which adds the possibility of working with 1 channel that can record external instruments. I don’t have studio one 5 yet but that seems to solve this silliness. It’s a bit strange to have to double all tracks I agree.

Regarding your last question: overbridge engine always has to run but control panel doesn’t have to. Which OS are you running? Is focusrite selected as your audio interface?

1 Like

Not sure if AUX channel is any help for this, as you have to use Instrument channels for the Overbridge plugin anyway. Just do it as DM shows and then hide the instrument channels and keep only the audio channels.