Overbridge recording tips?

Newest OB seems to work quite well for me on Windows 10 and Ableton.

What I am not sure about is the channel setup when recording over USB. For example, if I make an audio track and select BD, ableton records it in dual mono. It’s basically coming in peaking at -6db instead of -12db and looks like a stereo file. Is this correct or can I change settings somewhere? The audio coming out of the MIDI channel with the OB plugin on it (basically the stereo mains) is -12, so this throws me off a little bit when the individual tracks are twice as loud.

Other thing is I wondered if you all are sending audio back into the AR and using the effects that way on other tracks in your DAW. I am a little confused on how the audio inputs work in OB. The manual didn’t really say much there so I just have everything currently set to disabled.

Hello Bassesandpads

Did you manage to figure this out? I am currently seeking insight on setting OB to record in Ableton as Mono tracks. There does not seem to be an option. I wonder if I’m taking in twice as much file data as I need to.

Thanks!

1 Like

Kind of. If you record using the overbridge plugin it’s more stable but records in stereo. If you use the standalone, it bounces to mono files but getting it to sync with the Rytm can be a problem at times and the volume of the files is also a lot louder. It’s not as stable. Support has never responded to me on any of this, so I am just going with the stereo files via overbridge.

Sure it is stereo? Or is it dual mono (two identical sides)?

Ableton Live always records stereo or dual mono from internal sources.
It only records a mono file when you select a single audio input from your audio interface.

Yes, you are correct - it is actually dual mono.
And yeah its an ableton thing that I never really understood why they did it that way. I just deal with it for now, but I wish they’d give the option.

Having quite the same question (How to record mono via Oevrbridge into Ableton live?).

But as “solution” you can untilize the “Utility” Audio Effect, it has a “Mono” Preset. You can at least turn (in my case a bass drum) from “dual Mono” to Mono.

Hopr that helps, and would be glad to find an elegant way to record mono (yes you can bounce in Mono, but I do not assume this as “elegant” :wink:
Thanks for any help!
Clic

1 Like