Overbridge record help A4

Hi, when using overbridge to record A4 - the sound of each track sounds lacklustre compared to the sound that comes out the A4 outputs. eg. reverb does not sound as lush, delays are weaker and sound is less punchy/lesser quality than normal outputs. Recording in 16/24 bit makes minimal difference. Sometimes get audio drop outs recording in 24bit with Macbook pro 2014 retina.

Does anyone else have experience with this, aside from recording the output of each track one by one is there anything you can do to boost the depth of each track in overbridge?

Ableton 9.6.2
overbridge 1.50.0
buffer sample 128 in ableton
256 in overbridge

Track/patch/oscillator volumes are up max.

Hello,

first thing I can tell you is you not use OB according to the Manual and Recommendations from Elektron.
The Buffer need to match DAW/OB so the value need to be the same 128-128 or 256-256
(buffer sample 128 in ableton - 256 in overbridge)

Other point is OB is 24/48 so you need to set Ableton on 16/48 or 24/48
(48 kHz, 24-bit D/A and A/D converters) Ableton is generally set to 16bits / 44100 if you compared A4 main outputs you need to set Ableton to 24bits / 48000hz

Next and Last :

the sound of each track sounds lacklustre compared to the sound that comes out the A4 outputs. eg. reverb does not sound as lush, delays are weaker and sound is less punchy/lesser quality than normal outputs.

Please at first compare The sum of Trk1 + Trk2 + Trk3 + Trk4 + A4 Effects through the A4 outputs and the same approach in the Overbridge Recordings with the Specifications I give you earlier. Otherwise, you can be fooled by not comparing real A/B (I mean same routing)

Also it’s a bad thing to not keep head room as you done by :
Track/patch/oscillator volumes are up max

Also if you compared the sound, you need tell us how you compared the sound (and compared each one to the same level in dB). Because there’s always converters in between, soundcard, monitoring, headphones… it can drastically change how you perceive the sound itself through this different device.

Hi, I have tried this and still no change. I am listening through one channel of a xone db2 mixer connected to the outputs of A4 and I am also listening through another channel on the db2 connected to ableton via phono to line cable. What is coming from ableton doesn’t have as much depth and the reverb doesn’t sound as lush.

Both buffers on OB and ableton are the same and I cannot change the hz value but it is already set at 48000hz

its almost as if OB is not routing the the fx’s I have on the patch

it’s difficult to reply to your question. (because it’s normal to have difference between 2 recording method) Overbridge take care of the signal (it include headroom) to make your record clean, the Analog Four FX is only on the master outputs. BUT If you select Trk1 in overbridge, as it’s the individual out you get and not the master you have no FX that’s a normal behavior. (the master is simply the plugin in a stereo track in Ableton - the others is inputs and 4 individual outs)

Also it’s important your signals are MONO on the Analog Four you need to put a utility plugin on each individuals and set the width to 0 (of course not on the Main Outputs you get by the plugin itself I speaking about Trk1, 2, 3 and 4))

If you select Master Outs on Overbridge Panel and record it.
If you record the Analog Master Outputs with a sound card and set both recorded material to the same level, you normally have very closed sounding except what induce/introduce the pre-amp of your sound card.

How you have configured your Ovebridge Panel ?

Yeah, I’ve literally just read that fx are sends and only appear on the stereo outputs. I was trying to record via individual tracks. this makes sense now.

Configure overbridge panel how and do what with it?

sorry bit of a novice with routing things.

If I record via left and right output via over bridge do I just treat the 2 tracks as one and having duplicate eq’s matching left and right, yeah?

@NiallDoc94 Check my template :
https://www.elektronauts.com/files/394

Overbridg’A4_ABL971_Template
This is Synced Clock Template for the ANALOG FOUR
Overbridge version 1.15
Analog Four OS 1.24
Ableton 9.7.1

Contain Template with AU and VST version (separate pick the one you prefer to working with) The first Instrument channel is the Analog Four OB plugin (send only - midi deactivate) Then you have Four couple of duo tracks Trk 1 midi / Trk 1 REC, then EXT in, then A4 Main / FX (you will need to route in the A4 menu as you wish + pick the sounds you wish on four tracks of the A4) FIXED 2016-12-23 : A utility plugin is added width to 0% For Trk 1, Trk 2, Trk 3 and Trk 4 making them MONO rather DUAL MONO… I can’t change how things working on ABLETON on that matter it’s a well known behavior. If you want wave recordings to be in MONO and Shawn as MONO choose another DAW !

Settings are Buffer at 64 on both Ableton and Overbridge if you have problem pass it at 128
Margin is at 50 (same if problem pass it at 75/100)
Template need to be 24bits - 48000 same in the Overbridge plugin (adapt it depend of how your working)
FIXED 2016-12-23, added a utility on each track to make dual mono a real mono signal with width : 0%

Template need to be 24bits - 48000 same in the Overbridge plugin as I said I didn’t fixed the text in the file section of Elektronauts

For how use Overbridge it’s really depends of each person… and often decided for each session/project/track
Some use the sum of everything as one stereo Analog Four where everything is glue in one stereo recordings

Other people prefer to record separate tracks + separate FX

Other people record what’s they want as separate (Trk1 and Trk 3 for example) and keep in the master Trk2 and Tr4 + Effects

There’s no rules just keep in mind the signal Overbridge get is fixed to keep some headroom so you can’t compared something at -6db and something on analog mixer who can eventually go over 0dB… you need to compare two clean and identical source at the same level

@NiallDoc94 I hope I help you a bit to get started with Overbridge

thanks, that has been helpful. also, because of dual mono - if you were to put a utility with width 0% on the left, would you then delete the right track as essentially there is no point having x2 mono signals of the same sound. Am I right in thinking that? That way you would not have to double up on your eq’s etc

of course you can :wink: