Overbridge Premium?

Fair enough - it’s analogous to how Waldorf built all the sample-playback hardware into the blofeld, but charged extra for a license to enable that section. It’s silly. By extension, OB does nothing without the hardware itself.

1 Like

just make it opensource, so I can program it myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A flawed example though as Porsche, along with most manufacturers, will have extras that you can pay a premium for. I get where you’re coming from though, I guess it depends on how one views OB (is it core functionality or an added extra) but I do think Elektron is opening up the option a little. We can see plenty of folks with stuff from the Analog range who would happily have paid £’s less for an OB lite option.

How Digitakt and OB Premium uptake turns out will influence Elektron across the board going forward.

And herein lies the point I think. Elektron have made a bit of a meal of the Digitakt reveal in truth. The general impression given was that you would get full OB functionality along with the unit at those original prices. Things have slipped away from that and now the “full” Digitakt experience attracts the premium. I’m sure lessons will be learned from this one as these sort of slips are incredibly easy to make these days. One look at Andy’s Akai Q&A videos can show how wary one can be when faced with questions from a rabid fan base!

If they made that an option I would have GLADLY paid less and let Elektron keep Overbridge.

1 Like

I’m not saying I have a problem with it…but if I were a betting man, I’d bet this is leading to a paid “Overbridge 2.0” update for all the OB enabled boxes. Kinda like a Maschine 2.0 situation.

let’s not allow ourselves to get too pessimistic; plus, that would only apply were OB 2 something above and beyond that already planned on the roadmap imho

1 Like

I somtimes make quasi-absurd statements out of boredom. I guess it would be more accurate to say it wouldn’t surprise me if something like that happened : )

I use Overbridge VST all the time and it is very stable for me–I work almost exlusively from the hardware, I just use it for the over-USB audio. I really don’t want/need anything else from it.

See. Boredom. I’ve gone on and on : )

1 Like

Well sequencer editing would be a good start

1 Like

I might use (and pay) for that update : ) I can see editing locks from the DAW as useful to many.

i can easly see that one day we have to pay for overbridge updates… all of us. AR, A4, AK, AH users ALL OF US.

thanks god i don’t give a shit about overbridge.

Go fanboys go!

Sigh… I miss the old Elektron forum.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Looking for monome (128 or 256)

I just received this from Elwktron in email today. (11/29/2017)

Overbridge news

We have decided to offer Overbridge free of charge for all our Overbridge enabled instruments. This means that Overbridge Basic and Premium are now simply Overbridge. The seamless computer integration of Elektron instruments, made possible by Overbridge, is a very important, useful and unique feature. It really elevates our instruments and boosts the production workflow. And we want as many musicians as possible to experience this.

During the past seven months, we have been hard at work with the next version of Overbridge, which will support Analog Keys, Analog Heat, Digitakt, Analog Four MKI/MKII and Analog Rytm MKI/MKII. It is the biggest update yet and will be available February 2018. Some of the highlights include:
Free of charge
New standalone editor, allowing for DAW-less operation
Improved plugin compatibility for several DAWs
Enhanced performance using our new multi-process architecture
Lower latency ‡
New reworked and unified graphics design with increased contrast and usability
Faster Total Recall and Automation ‡
Configuration-less USB audio streaming of all available channels simultaneously at maximum quality ‡
‡ Only for high-speed USB products (currently Analog Heat, Digitakt, Analog Four MKII and Analog Rytm MKII).

As evident with the coming major update, we remain committed to supporting and maintaining Overbridge. We are very proud of the software suite and want it to be an essential part of music making. We look forward to seeing how you will use it with your Elektron instruments.

2 Likes

I appreciate you electing to share this exciting information.

However, it seems you’ve been beat on leaking this :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m new here. Just ordered digitakt and found this post yesterday. Was sorta bummed about the extra cost and then got the good news this morning. Checked this post as soon as I got home and didn’t see an update with the announcement so posted. I hadn’t found the other post yet.

2 Likes

Welcome :wave:
Anything elektron posts on the front page comes up as a thread to comment on so literally all elektron news is posted here directly by them, just so you know for the future

3 Likes

Hey! Better safe than sorry! I was just “joshing” a bit! Welcome to the forum!

It IS exciting news! I’m very happy for the gift- and am looking forward to take OB for a spin come February!

ALSO! I don’t know if you know this, but, the Digitakt should be getting another OS update NEXT MONTH! It truly is a time for celebration

Enjoy your Digitakt! I’ve played on all of the Elektrons(except the SIDstation) and the Digitakt is the most fun and immediate machine they’ve ever made(with the Machinedrum a close second)

2 Likes

Thanks guys. This is an awesome forum.

4 Likes