Overbridge pauses my device

So I got a rytm mk2 a week ago and I’m kinda loving it, however there is this problem with overbridge, where it randomly pauses my device. At first it happened only once every few hours but now it only plays a few bars before it just pauses playback. Sometimes it just pauses instantly after like 2 steps. Everything is fine without overbridge. I’ve tried different device settings and even using a different audio interface.
It also happens in standalone mode.
Also I’ve noticed that no matter which settings, the plugin still recieves notes and plays sounds on the rytm in my daw.

Anyone with similar problems? Or ideas?

Also im on Windows 10, anyone using overbridge on rytm without any problems?

2 Likes

Have you checked the usual suspects?
(sync setting in overbridge software, other cable, other usb port, update rytm, reinstall overbridge, new project on rytm and daw,…)

1 Like

yes i tried all of that :frowning:

also im using win 10, maybe thats the problem xD

1 Like

Im getting similar with the A4MKII on Windows 10 stand alone…i have also noticed a slight pitch/tempo increase just before it happens, like a speeding up of old tape…make sure you report it, make a ticket…its new this behaviour, never happened until recently…but mine is pausing often…

also enable logging in your OB control panel, clear any logs you may have so far…start a stand alone OB session and play around until it “self pauses” close the plugin, export logs and attach those so dev team can see what’s going on…

The more of us that report in this way the sooner devs can fix it…:slightly_smiling_face:

I have had this issue as well - including the pitch variance before and after. I’ve not found a solution and I did speak with their support about it, who found nothing in the logs I shared.

I’ve come to think it’s probably some sort of power related issue to do with having too many things plugged in, or my USB being overloaded causing a temporary wobble. I’ve not had the issue as much recently so I’ve not done any real investigations into those theories, so will be happy to hear if someone else finds something!

2 Likes

Thing is it never used to happen 4 me…and i haven’t got more things plugged in, also it doesn’t do this when synced from a DAW only the stand alone??? When did it start 4 u??

Have an A4 MKII and a Rytm MK II. Also Overhub.
Have the same problem. I ve tried some things out. In any case:

• the machines stops unregularely, than sometimes I can play without restart
  • machines frozen (can do nothing) unregularely, sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 20 or 30 minutes
    much more the rytm; after restart machine or/and win the same result
  • the tempo notches often a bit up and down, it is to listen often, not always before crashing
  • by me, all the things happen togehter with overbridge in standalone mode (I rarely use overbridge in DAW as Plugin, so have not tested all these things with DAW) - Like direct recording mode there with 24 bit

Before Overbridge 2.0.60 it happens last two years never. I use the machines very often and own it think about 3 years.

Have tested other cables, other usb port, reinstall overbridge, new project on the machines.

Both machines have the last update.
I use win 10, too.

Have sended a ticket to elektron. Fast answers and suggestions. But till now no researches.
If a solution is found will post.

3 Likes

Same thing for me. Since the new OB, I have the same issues as yours. It never happened before and I’m a long time OB user.

2 Likes

I too have been having these issues and had thought the reason being too many things plugged in (Rythm II, A4, DT, 3 ipads, continuum, moog siren and a partridge in a pair tree!). On previous versions of OB running osx catalina on a 2013 mac pro trashcan, the computer just crashed with the black screen and that was it. It would keep doing it until I unplugged a device (or two). After researching the topic and trial error I assumed it was like you mentioned some sort of usb buss power related issue. Either that or the trashcan was on her last legs. But is happening on my new apple M1 too.

With the new versions it hasn’t crashed but has lost tempo and ‘pauses’ the sequencers.

1 Like

Blockquote Welcome to the community @Humbug. I believe that this is a new problem. It wasn’t happening to me on the previous OB version running (rytm II, A4 II and Digitakt), and now happening with the most recent OB release. I’m having similar issues on osx. I haven’t been able to find a solution or a work around. The Elektron team will get on top of this pretty quickly I would imagine, given that a few people are having this issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this an answer from Elektron?

Ok interesting- thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face: … I don’t get crashes, just the pitch/ timing variance and stops, so guess that fits what you’re seeing too.

I got nowhere eventually with Support after trying a few different things, so it’s very odd.

Sorry didn’t see this - for me, it has been that way since I got my AR MK2 earlier this year, and one of the things I tried with Support was upgrading OverBridge and it didn’t fix it, so for me at least it didn’t seem to be the OB version.

Same, I make a post about it but apparently no one really care.

Do you mean that you sent a Support ticket to Elektron and didn’t get an answer?

on the forum

It’s better to create a support ticket with Elektron because from what I’ve seen they don’t tend to check here for such issues. They are usually responsive and the more people that do that the more chance we have of finding a solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

so… I was able to fix this by setting sample rate to 44.1khz and buffer to 32 samples, but i also found a driver update for my audio interface.

Few more tips:
make sure to not send any sync from ableton to the rytm (or from)
In midi config on the rytm also set everything to off.
The plugin handles all sync itself, setting the plugin to song position seems the most stable for me.
Lastly in “Ports Config” input from and output to should be set to USB only since midi limits USB speed.

Hope it helps, but i guess it’s still a problem with the overbridge software on their side.

1 Like

Thanks for this - I’ll try some of these out. Support were never able to get me anywhere, so fingers crossed!

Same problem here - AR MkII, Win 10, random pauses, accompanied by weird tempo variation like an old tape. Same in DAW (Studio One 5 Pro), or in standalone Rytm app.

I have tried all different level of settings in OB Control Panel - buffer size, driver speed, buffer safety margin, etc., setting everything to max aggressive, then all the way down to as slow and large buffer as possible, and medium settings as well. It makes no difference. I get a few minutes (or seconds) into working on a piece of music, and it just pauses again. Of course I can just push play, and continue working, but…then I think what if this happened live? I’m working on setting up a live set with DAW. No way I’d trust Overbridge at this point.

Have also tried turning off virus scanners, Google and Microsoft Drive sync programs, Steam, gaming mouse drivers, etc. Anything running in the systray that might be using USB resources. No help. Sometimes I think I’ve cracked it - it seemed very hard to get the pauses after shutting down Malware Bytes. But now the problem happens even with it disabled, so I may have just had a random period of functionality coincident with turning off virus scanning and other non-essential systray apps.

I have a fairly long e-mail discussion going with Elektron support. They are trying, but…no solution yet. I sent them logs from Overbridge Control Panel captured during one of the pauses - no insight from them. In their most recent e-mail, they suggested I “capture logs from the USB driver on Windows” using Microsoft’s debugview and send the logs to them. I will try that before rolling back OS and Overbridge to older version. (They did send me the prior version of the OS (1.60A) since I mentioned that some folks here thought it did not occur prior to latest firmware update, as well as a link to OB 2.0.44 which they say may be necessary in order to use OS 1.60A.)

So frustrating. AR just sits on my desk now…and gives me a depressed, disappointed feeling. I know I could just unplug the USB cable and go stereo audio into my interface, but…It just reminds me of how Overbridge is so close to awesome, but instead…not.

I’ll post back to this thread if I figure anything else. Sorry for my grumpiness. Cheers!

1 Like