Overbridge news

Been away from Elektron for a while - didn’t even realize there was a paid tier for OB. What was in the Premium tier that is now free?

There was no premium tier - it required $s to just unlock the functionality (i.e. a licence would have been a dongle, whereas MK1s would’ve implicitly been dongles and worked to their full (but different) potential)

Good move, Elektron.
Looking forward to this release and more quality time with my Digitakt.

This is bittersweet for me.

I’m glad that Overbridge will be free, but also think that it was the right/necessary decision given how long it has - and will be - before we are able to use functionality which should have been available months ago.

Either way, it’s good to have some news!

1 Like

Damn it’s a really good news. Now i just feel like it’s been a long wait for overbridge digitak but hey it’s probably worth it

WONDERFUL to get an update! I hope Elektron see the outpouring of positive reactions to this as a bit of evidence that basic communication with the customer base is the way to go. I bet a million dollars that there is vibrant internal debate over this very issue, with opinions on either end. Glad openness won out after several months of silence. Seems like a pragmatic solution to keeping speculation and it’s accompanying impatience at bay.

As glad as I am to see this, the cynic in me worries that it may be indicative of an internal concession that OB will never work perfectly for everyone (honestly, how could it with the variety of systems out there and the never ending parade of OS updates?) and that by giving it out for free, Elektron is relinquishing some degree of determination/responsibility to perfect it. Time will tell.

But whether correct or not on the above point, thanks Elektron! And enjoy the extra breathing room that a little communication has afforded you as we head into the familiar territory of elapsed stated deadlines - you just earned it!

2 Likes

Excellent!

Great news

I really hope this is the new way of communicating, moving forward.

We don’t want to know everything all the time, just updates some of the time

2 Likes

Overbridge is not a current or future feature of the Octatrack (mk1 and mk2).

3 Likes

All I want is my Octatrack to change patterns on the Digitakt when the Octatrack does. I’ll wait forever for overbridge

i agree. woluld be really, really cool to get a kind of “backup app” before the overbridge release in Feb. this way we could use the full potential of this little thing… finally. i mean, before the mk2 releases the Digitakt was hyped as THE hot new thing… now, it seems to be overshadowed a bit…

2 Likes

the right move imho

please make the vst beeing able to work as well via midi din and not just usb.

What? Like streaming individual tracks?

Are you using the elektron sync or trying to send program changes?
I’ve got my mono pattern changing the digi using sync and patterns always stay in sync. A1 on the mono playing means a1 on the digi is playing.

:joy:

I’d say the cost of collecting the annual fees, paying someone to administer it, VAT, and all the rest put Elektron off. As was probably disputing who was in the wrong when someone’s USB driver infested PC/MAC decided it didn’t like the Elektron protocol interface or some other hardware PC issue was hogging the CPU and causing crackles. A support nightmare that would drive the customer and Elektron team insane.

Better to focus on what they are good at; excellent hardware products for life as a single purchase.

I’d buy a license to install extra machines for inside my DT/OT though.

How about a full set of MNM or MD machines for your DT for €200?

1 Like

I like to use the vst in abletion withous ob. just via midi din. dont mind not getting on the AH the nice curves of the sound be drewn but I like to see what knobs I tweak etc. makes it also easier to create automations. I have AR , AK and AH connected via mio10 and creating automations is a pain in the a… . Example. for the sub37 I can record all my fiddling on the knobs and see that in the vst via midi din. that I like to do as well with elektron vsts

1 Like

Can an instrument rack not cover this for you?
I’m thinking of instrument panels in Cubase but thought you could create your own racks on ableton to record incoming cc tweaks and retransmit to the machine on playback?

yes but only cc, nprc has higher resolution . ableton records as well nprc automations -> having 2 automation curves for one one knob moving. makes it hard to change your automation correctly.