Overbridge much too quiet? (nope: just plenty of headroom)

No it`s not fine. When I boost using Utility in Ableton Live 10 I get more noise. Second, why Elektron is deciding how loud I want to have my signal when all other companies hitting 0 db with their plugins.

So what are You talking about?

But when I boost Analog Rytm VST using Utility even only 6 db I can hear more noise? Don`t you hear it?

Shitty cables? Cables running over cables? Cables running over PSUs? Using a power bar?

These are all contributors.

Incorrect.
When you boost your level with the utility the signal to noise ratio will not change. So no, not more audible noise. Your signal is louder, the noise floor is as much louder so there won’t be a difference in the ratio. So turning up the volume that way won’t increase the nois more than the signal. It will increase the entire signal.

Elektron is deciding that for you because their boxes use enough headroom to make sure you won’t easily clip sounds when using the filter with high resonance for instance. Amongst other things.

Again, it’s simply a small and easy fix to just use the utility tool. For the same reason it is useless to record at 24bit as loud as possible. Because recording at 24bit is useful exactly because you can then record at lower input levels to avoid any clipping without introducing noise.

4 Likes

“Elektron is deciding that for you…”

Incorrect Dave, this issue has nothing to with the box itself. The signal needs multiplying within the plugin, then there will be no need to boost the signal at all outside of it, and you can still turn it down to whatever level you want. Again you are confusing the internal headroom of the box with workable output from the plugin. Oli even confirmed that fact in this very thread months ago.

1 Like

Ok …

Check below attachemnts. Dont tell me You cant hear noise on boosted file. Of course You will introduce some noise. Analog Rytm is an “analog” machine? Doesnt matter everything is happening in digital world but ouput from machine itself before AD converter is purely analog sound and it just have some noise (thats normal).

Still You dindt explain why other plugin companies doesnt care about my headroom?

No Boost

With 15db boost

You mean shitty USB cables? Of course Im using power bar. How You connect 10 devices in room without power devices? Look, my studio setup is veeeery basic. Its just one external machine (Analog Rytm) connected via USB cable. Everything else in happening in the box. If I have noise because of myu power bar and shitty USB cable? Then what noise must have this guy:

:slight_smile:

Yes you hear more noise because you added gain to the input without any signal. If you would’ve hit that kick again it would also be 15db louder.

It’s about signal to noise ratio. If you boost a signal the noise floor will get boosted by the same amount obviously, but relative to the signal nothing will have changed.

The reason the OB plugins do this is because the machines themselves have an intentional lot of headroom to keep room for signals with loads of processing in the machine like overdrive or a filter sweep with super high resonance.

I have explained this multiple times already though :slight_smile:

If you would record a guitar in a 24bit environment, you would want to record it on low levels as to avoid any chance of clipping. Afterwards one can then boost the level of the recording to match the preferred level you’re working on. This is pretty much how you can work with ob as well.

1 Like

Yes. I know that.

So why the signal is just not louder so I can lower it down if I need instead I have to boost together with noise? :slight_smile:

That`s the whole point. Its always better to lower the signal together with noise then increase it with noise? Right? Does it make sense?

No it does not. If it would come in louder the noise floor would be higher as well. The signal to noise ratio doesn’t change… So when you then turn it down by say - 12db you would get the same exact result you getting now.

1 Like

My DT still comes in at -18db, I have to whack the slider up to +6db in Ableton to achieve -12.

I dont care about signal to noise ration. So what it doesnt change? I care about noise in the track which could be avoided if the signal was louder. But never mind. I don`t know how can I explain it to You.

Or let`s put it this way. I think that signal to noise ratio is not high enough.

:slight_smile:

Try the Ableton Utility plug in to turn the signal up

1 Like

Luckmail I understand you very well. But the things you said were simply incorrect as I have been trying to explain to you.

The signal to noise is from the mix within the rytm and is what it is. So if you think the rytm is too noisy, then that is understandable. This has nothing to do however with how loud the signal comes into your daw and if you boost or lower it will have no influence at all. That was your initial claim and I try to explain that it has no influence…

Hope this makes it more clear :). Otherwise let’s ehm leave it at this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Now Youre talking :) "rytm is too noisy" .... Lets stick with that one.

I’m coming in at around 21DB in Logic. Sorry this is a long thread, but is that normal?
Trying to mix my first thing. I’m using the Logic gain to get it up to 12db

Also how do I get the effects in here? I don’t. know how to route them. Thanks!

Hi @DaveMech!!!

The FX are master sends so you can’t stream them out as individual stems. Personally I like to set up a master audio channel in Logic and mute the other channels in the same pass when I want to have a particular effected sound (panning, reverb, delay). I can’t remember what my db reading is, but it’s low - it bothers me in the sense that the waveform is harder to edit, but the gain plug in does the job of bringing up to levels for mixing.

1 Like

@amichaela In the DT settings: Audio routing you can mute the individual tracks from going to the main output. When you then record the main out in Logic it will only have have the fx. As Romero says, the FX are send fx so they aren’t present on each individual channel.

Regarding the low level: Your mixing levels within your DT could be low. The cause can be one or more of the following: samples you imported via the transfer app that weren’t normalized. It can also be because levels channel levels are very low at different points in the chain (velocity, sample volume, amp volume, channel level).

Regarding tiny waveforms: Most if not all DAWs have a waveform zoom funtion. Pretty sure Logic has this as well.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Guys, trust Dave on this topic. He’s extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and very practical as well. His responses are always so dead on. If he says something and you disagree, my bet is that you are incorrect or misinformed, not Dave. No offense intended, just saying. Be open to the idea that your mixing practices might be misinformed, and things may have worked for you so far but might not be “best practice.”

Also, does anyone here legitimately think they know better than Elektron themselves here on the OB low volume discussion? Elektron designed it properly.

3 Likes

Thanks Dave! Yeah, my stock drums that open with every Proust come in at 24db which. I’m assuming thats to give me the 12db of head room for plugs and what not and that 24db is plenty to work with, with added gain?