Overbridge & macOS Big Sur

To each their own, but that will make zero difference to me. I don’t need to know how many resources are working on it, and a update every week to tell me it’s not ready is just noise.

The release for 2.0.44 says “whilst we continue to work on providing compatibility for the new macOS, Big Sur”

Another couple of comments saying they are working on it, but can’t give a date (‘prediction’):

The way I see it - this is a big change, forced by Apple. They are working on it. Giving an update every week to say “we are still working on it”, or giving a thumb-suck prediction is useless for me.

If you are not on Big Sur, don’t upgrade. If you upgraded, and you can not wait, you will have to downgrade. That sucks, but it is the reality.

4 Likes

Blockquote If you are not on Big Sur, don’t upgrade. If you upgraded, and you can not wait, you will have to downgrade. That sucks, but it is the reality.

The other reverse scenerio is: On Big Sur and M1 by necessity now-not downgradeable. Will re-consider buying that Elektron gear now and may end up with an alternative in the meantime. or selling elektron gear. that one already has.
Sucks for Elektron but it is a reality.

A earlier post in this thread said that Ploytec aren’t developing the usb audio driver (as used by Elektron for OB) for Big Sur anymore, so i guess Elektron are having to write a new driver from scratch. Might be a while…

2 Likes

Yeah one of the best things I ever did for my mental health was to turn off Apple auto updates.

Sad but true! :laughing:

2 Likes

That is a brand new platform, hardly surprising that everything else doesn’t work with it immediately.

If someone sells all their Elektron gear over that, good luck to them.

Yes, and again Elektron not actually saying anything substantive means that ‘rumours’ like this can swirl

1 Like

you’re saying i’m spreading rumours huh

I have always regarded ‘overbridge’ as a way for Elektron to avoid putting extra analog outs on their gear. Every extra analog out adds 50¢ to the manufacturing cost. 50% (who knows the real number-but some %) of users never use extra analog outputs. but if people ask for extra outs Elektron can say hey ‘use overbridge’

Overbridge does do other things.

Potentially. Everyone does. (including myself)
Elektron could clear it all up by being transparent.

You want an update every week or so telling you that it’s still not ready. Understood.

1 Like

It’s not the ‘full OverBridge’ experience, but A4 mkII and RYTM mkII (latest firmware), and I think DT and DN support individual outs over USB class-compliant audio. That will work on Big Sur and Apple Silicon.

2 Likes

I want a starting assessment of what Elektron sees as the challenges. how much human res. they are going to apply to it. And then running updates about things they have got nailed down or possible potholes they have encountered. I think that asking Elektron to devote 3% of 1manhour per week to this will not detract from their other tasks.

You are not really in a position to demand anything. You are just an anonymous internet users. As they have clearly stated in different messages. Is that it might take a few months. So just use usb audio / out, and record your stems. It is almost as fast.

:thinking:

Maybe Elektron should get into the computer industry. I can see it now…

A pill like computer like the Mac Mini dedicated to running a simple DAW. This DAW will also make it easier on other software plugin developers because updates will be few and far between.

The DAW doesn’t need to be thought up from the ground zero either. A quick partnership with a current DAW provider (Cubasis are Swedish and are yet to have a desktop DAW right!?) would help the process.

I know it won’t be for the many. And some people will not like the idea for various reasons.

Overall, it would be a solution to an eternity of gripe and moaning. How long is this thread now? :joy:

The new Akai MPCs are minicomputers running a simple DAW on linux.

1 Like

It must be so frustrating for these guys @Elektron. I feel for them, I really do. It is out of their hands and the rate at which Apple updates it’s os has become a humorous jape.

Every time we rely on others we put ourselves at risk.

It is reasons like these that made me head towards recording one stereo out when I want to record. Getting that signal as full and juicey as possible without the need for anything else has made me more productive and less negative.

This problem started at eternity and will end at forever. It is certainly a headache that I don’t want to entertain.

1 Like

Well actually that is just modern IT. Regular updates. At least one big release a year, and continuous bug fixes. This generally keeps the public happy. Any saas or windows product is doing the same.

‘One big release a year’ - that I am happy with. ‘Breaking compatibility once a year’ - not so much. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yes, the USB class-compliant audio works fine in Big Sur. Getting 2 in- and outputs from my DT, DN and A4.

Hi

I’d like to reply on some of your thought regarding this issue. As mentioned before, we are beta testing Overbridge for Mac OS Big Sur and Apple Silicon. This means that we have come far in the development and are mostly optimising and finding our way through Apple’s verification process. The solution includes a brand new driver that moves away from kernel extensions which were deprecated with Mac OS Big Sur. Our new driver is made with modern technologies and makes development easier which in turn helps us to deliver a solution of higher quality. OSes prior to Big Sur will still use our current solution. Unfortunately we can’t give a release date at this moment but we are working hard to ensure that your new M1 Mac is compatible with Overbridge.

David

35 Likes