Overbridge Latency Stacking

There’s something I’ve been pondering for a while now.

there’s about 47ms of latency/look ahead at 128 buffer that OB uses for syncing.

I noticed both channels I use for the A4 and AR use practically the same latency and I’ve always wondered if the latency stacks or if its one global latency for all overbridge instances?

I want to get a couple more overbridge devices going forward but if it all stacks it’ll make tracking with other things a huge pain.
That would be a big deal breaker so I was wondering if anyone here has some insight?

bump

are you talking about vsts or the standalone apps? where’s the latency value coming from?

if you elaborate what you want to check I can test with my AR and DN

The plugins!
Bitwig shows a channels total latency on each channel
Ableton will also show you a plugins latency at the bottom if you hover your mouse over its channels device.
I suspect they stack because the values aren’t exactly identical

The resulting latency should be the largest latency - e.g. if you had two plugins on different tracks, one creating 10ms, and one creating 20ms, the total latency would be 20ms.

If you stack 2 plugins with 20ms latency on one track, the result would be 40ms of latency on that track.

The project latency will be whatever the highest latency track is - e.g. if you have 10 tracks in a project, 9 of them have 20ms, and 1 has 40ms, the project latency would be 40ms.

ahh was afraid of that. Its manageable tracking with other stuff with a couple overbridge vsts but might need to look into something like a multiclock if I get more elektrons

Technically, adding more Elektons shouldn’t increase the overall latency - latency only only stacks if you stack them on one track. if you have an Elektron VST on their own tracks, you’re good, they’ll fall within the latency you already have from one of them.

what about latency added by lookahead processes? That does stack, so if they each work as individual plugins allocating 40ms they would total as 80ms.

Yeah, if you’re adding lookahead processes, you’re fucked.

But still doesn’t cause the Elektron plugins to stack, it will just add what it needs for it’s process on top of your overall latency.

i.e. if you had 3 Elektron devices (on separate tracks) with 20ms each, and a lookahead process needing 10ms, your total latency would be 30ms.

If you had 3 lookahead devices, one on each of the Elektron tracks, that each needed 10ms each, your total latency would still be 30ms.

it might not be labeled as lookahead but still has to add latency for each instance, more than likely for timing reasons. I feel the need to reply to this as I don’t think you fully understand what I mean. As it stands now I do believe it does indeed stack but know ways to prove it and will post my findings when I get some extra time