Overbridge latency in Ableton Live

should be: AH and newer:
https://www.elektronauts.com/news/387

frustrating for all A4 and AR owners
and really strange as the much older Virus TI can get to 5ms in it’s “live” mode.

anyway, let’s first see the update…

1 Like

I had a 1st gen Virus TI. It took two years before the software was usable. And they all had usb 1.4 for some dumb reason.

Yeah my TI also only works stable if i connect it to my Thunderbolt Display and with one specific USB-Cable.
And I mentioned before somewhere in the forum:
Overbridge seemed already more stable after 6 months than the TI-integration was after 6 years.

But still there can be something taken from TI:
If 5ms is possible with such a old device i find it confusing if AR/A4 MK1 won’t.

2 Likes

Sorry to necrobump a thread with such a pessimistic update, but it might offer hope to some who are looking for any solution after OB has failed them.

Have tried many different configurations with OB via my AR Mk1 + my audio interface (Zoom L12) to get everything streaming into Ableton in sync and with acceptable latency (I will take anything <30ms!) without having to mess around with track delays and audio glitches from OB.

In the end what’s working best for me is slaving everything (OT, AR, Ableton) to a Squarp Pyramid and combining the three non-OB audio interfaces I have at my disposal (Zoom L12, Zoom H6, iConnectAudio 2+) into a aggregate audio device, so I can record 8 analog outputs from my AR + 12 others. Extremely tight sync, 14ms input latency + 14ms output latency. Surprised that this works so well, and not inclined at all to turn back.

edit – down to 8ms each trip now that I’ve set everything up at 96k. Way better than the 40ms+ each trip I was trying to tolerate with OB …

1 Like

Lol. 30ms. that is terrible. OB is a total pipedream.

14ms is bad too btw.

2 Likes

Yes it is, but I’ll take it over what I was dealing with via OB :thup:

At the expense of cpu I’ve coaxed OB into much lower latency by setting my main interface to 96K sample rate “before” making the aggregate with Rytm and then enabling drift correction for Rytm in the aggregate. Doesn’t work if you make the aggregate first and then try to set to 96K, kind of a trick I guess… I think it was about 4 or 5 milliseconds in aggregate with my thunderbolt interface…

1 Like

I get all kinds of pops and clicks and clock issues when using aggregate. I’ve learned to stay away from it.

Never had many issues with mine, even at 96K with apogee, rytm, and iconnectmidi4+, triple aggregate using 64 buffer… Runs for hours, no crackles… Every once in awhile the iconnect audio pass through gets messed and I have to unplug/replug my iPad, but never any issues with rytm in aggregate.

In order to get track streaming of the rytm into your DAW, do you have to use the driver? Or does the plugin pass audio in?

The driver is required to use as an interface in an aggregate or to use the plugin. If not using an aggregate the plugin passes audio, if using an aggregate you don’t need to use the plugin you can just configure a DAW audio track where the output of the unit will show up as an input for your track, and that tracks output is assigned to your interfaces main outputs…

1 Like

I just got a AH, but haven’t even had time to mess with the plugin. The AH sounds amazing, but I’m wondering if it’s even worth it to use as a plugin. I don’t have any need to sync Ableton. When I do use Ableton, I trigger vst’s and Ableton instruments with midi. With my Scarlet 2by2 when working this way, I get unnoticeable latency. I would like to have the gui interface from the OB vst, but I am fine just working otb for now. I guess my question is- Am I going to spend my time making music if I try to install OB if I work this way, or will I spend days trying to make it work?

How does latency compare using the the plugin to pass audio vs using configuring a DAW audio track? The same?

I also wonder how OB sounds compared to the analog outs on OB enabled devices. There will certainly be a difference as in either an extra A/D is used, or a D/A is bypassed.

It’s been the good part of a year since I’ve used it. I think the lowest latency I got was with the aggregate 96K trick mentioned above, much lower than the plugin. Can’t remember if the aggregate at normal sample rate was lower than the plugin. I have a pretty high end interface so prefer using the analog outs and recording them, but the OB sound was not bad.

1 Like

I didn’t have any issues setting it up, took minutes and was up and running, however from reading the forum some haven’t had the same experience. I’m on Mac running Mavericks and logic X. I’d say it’s worth a shot to see if it suits you…

Maybe just wait for OB2 though, seeing how it will have a bunch of improvements…

Ok, yeah. I just tried it out tonight. Plugged it in. It made a bunch of strange noises and didn’t sound as good as just my OT running straight through the AH (I’m using Win 10, Ableton 9). Basically, I’m not sure it’s for me. I don’t really have free time to troubleshoot. I like to mess about on my machines and then I can record that nonsense onto my soundcard, which sounds fine for my use.

1 Like

Hey Elektronauts,

if I just want the recording in Ableton functionality & no “live processing” of my A4 would you suggest

• VST-
    or
  • aggregate device - solution?

Aggregate has caused me a lot of trouble, if I use it for more than just my 3 RME Multifaces. It’s the only way to combine those to 24 analogue ins / 24 analogue outs though.

What kind of issues did you face?

So you guys would still keep recommending using the VST to record A4 rather than just adding the inputs to aggregate device to my other two soundcourds (A&H DB4; Soundcraft MTK12)?

My problems have been - when using Cubase, Some of the devices which are part of the aggregate device, don’t appear. They do appear when running Ableton. Queried that with Steinberg and the response was - Cubase doesn’t support aggregate devices.

Latency when using USB streaming devices, is also too large for my purposes, so I limit my system to the RME inputs.