Overbridge latency in Ableton Live

Of course you are not and in your case a mode where only one way latency is reported to the plugin host would work and has been considered. Your use case is different from jbone1313 that needs low latency. Yours don’t need super low latency, just a different way of compensating for it.

5 Likes

Honestly, knowing the challenges on getting the latency down (e.g. Virus Ti), I would be thrilled to have the control/clock/sample manager OB (“Overbridge Kontrol”) that retransmits clock. I would gladly pay for it.

Regarding the latency for OB Kontrol, I would guess that the latency would need only be equal to the host’s reported latency round-trip (+ ~1ms), and that would be no issue at all from a performance, recording and monitoring perspective.

1 Like

It is much much more complex than that. Sorry.

3 Likes

I too would really love a low/no latency no audio option. I perform everything live with the OT as a hub for looping, etc… I really think you guys are doing great with the OB technology but as it stands it seems only really useable for recording and aligning with sequencers in a daw, and not really useable for live play. I saved up very much for a thunderbolt interface just to lower latency, being mainly a guitar player, my old firewire device had just enough latency to get me out of the groove. I would love to add OB to my setup but then my latency is above the old firewire days which I worked really hard to save up and get out of.
Also I ought file a support ticket but I’ll mention that on Mac my console logs get filled with strange error messages if I try to disable all inputs/outputs in the control panel, so I usually leave 2 outs.
I’m sure you guys are doing your best but I find 20-30ms quite a lot, there are lots of usb interfaces that convert 8+ channels in 8 to 10 ms round trip, maybe even less nowadays.
If OB ends up a studio bonus, that’s great, better than no OB at all. But if y’all can tweak and optimize for live low latency or at least throw out a no audio editor option, then OB can come to the party instead of staying at home…
Next level none the less.
Thanks for all your hard work…

Edit: What I’m really hoping for is simply a no audio editor option, in my case AU for Logic…

5 Likes

Yes that would be great! Is this something you guys are considering or already working on?

OB clock syncing and automation/editor without audio streaming, if it were to have significant latency benefits as a result, would indeed be very desirable. :thup:

8 Likes

+1 that would be great indeed. Never used overbridge for multitracking, using individual outs to mixer here. I found OB great for syncing Rytm to Live, then take Rytm’s clock and sync other hardware with it. Works ok but I find other machines slowly drift on an then after about 64bars they somehow resync. We are talking a few ms here, not horrible but I need to recheck everything I record, so any kind of improvement in this area would be most welcome.

The last thing I want is to buy ERM or something similar. But unfortunately I found Rytm’s clock to be horrible. It works better when OB is in charge, its the only way for it to be a master for now.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

Basically when I use my audio interface alone I can get sub 10ms total latency at a particular buffer size. With my Analog Rytm and audio interface running as an aggregated device my total latency jumps to almost 30ms at same buffer size. This high latency of course interferes with things like input from an iPad synth, etc. I like the convenience of the plugin but it seems it better to go back to just using the audio outputs to my audio interface and skip Overbridge.

2 Likes

Seems like can be used for tracking with some fidling with alignment afterwards, but for live vibes it’s a no go… There’s lots of 8+ channel usb audio interfaces that can operate with just a few milliseconds latency, so hopefully they can optimize this eventually…

2 Likes

Can I just use the plugin and route audio separately? I already have all the physical inputs so I don’t really need to stream over USB. I just want the convenience of the plugin.

1 Like

I did spend some tome with OB 1.15 in Win10 Cubase 9 last night. I’m using and Innnerclock SyncGen2 and the latency is 3115!!! samples to play in sync with my other midii gear and VSTi’s
This is totally unusable, without OB in midi only mode, it’s 882 samples

I’m also using my RYTM and A4 via the analogue outs (though OB would have been really nice to break out 4 channels)

Currently 1.15 is NOT usable for me. I don’t want to fiddle around, or record.
I just want stuff to be tight, realtime and instantly available, without recording or rendering or enabling/restraining delay compensation.
I would also welcome a midi control version of OB as well.
Only an enhanced midi connection, NO USB Audio, so the performance stays identical as when the RYTM is configured as midi only (non OB mode)
OB Is nice when sitting behind a macbook, with the Rytm as sounddevice. But it just pulls the realtime performance down of more complex setups.
So a midi only version of OB please, WITHOUT any audio or sequencer clock syncing.

1 Like

i have latency issue too when i recording from AR
i change from clock to song position and seem work very nice,i continue to do some test but at the moment this setup give me nice records
motu ultralite mk3 buffer 256 (i think for most of you is high but for me is good)
ob buffer 128
win 10

overbridges point is to produce zero latency. have you something like the cpu sapping izotope plugins effecting anything?
… the best way to run overbridge is to run it dry, no effects in daw… then you can add them after, i know this doesnt help you but i find overbridge absolutely spot on. the only issue i have ever had syncing is when ive forgotten ive got izotopes mastering plugins running. try uninstalling and adding over bridge again perhaps

1 Like

There is no debate that OB causes about 30ms latency. Even Elektron acknowledges that. Of course, that does not matter if both of these conditions are true: a) You are working in a DAW with PDC. b) You are not playing an instrument.

I would be willing to bet a LARGE sum of money that ALL of the people who are not bothered by OB’s latency do not play their Elektron instruments, and instead they “type” in their music using Elektron’s buttons. Before I get yelled at, there is NOTHING wrong with that, and it does not make their art less worthy. I would also be willing to bet an equally LARGE sum of money that ALL the people who DO play their Elektron instruments are bothered by OB’s latency. There’s no way a musician (in the classic sense - y’all know what I mean) would not be bothered by OB’s latency.

6 Likes

Fair point

1 Like

Yep just give me OB midi only, without the ASIO soundcard part.
This needs to be able to be turned off. OB is jow holding back the latency of my whole setup

Not sure how windows handles multiple audio interfaces but on a mac I’ve tricked OB into much lower latency by combining it as an audio interface with my regular interface into an aggregate device, then setting my interface to 96000 sample rate and enableing drift correction(resampling) of the rytm in the agg device setup. This was quite awhile ago so I don’t rememmber the figure but it was much lower than 30ms…

Never thought i would suggest a Virus TI feature for overbridge.
But that “live” button that reduces latency from 77 ms to 5 ms is really helping a lot.

i’m sure we would all accept some compromises like disabled features in that mode to get latency down to max 2x 5 ms while recording live.
anything above is really hard to work with.
(and not even disabling the RYTM plugin does help, as ableton still keeps the latency with disabled plugins.)

if sync/clock is the problem i would happily accept not to be able to use the rytm’s sequencer in that mode, but only use it as a synth/sampler.

hi,
im having the issue, i use overbridge, its cool, and timimng is very solid.
my problem is that when i want to use the internal sequencer with eurorack gear, which itself goes through my interface, it has another latency, so that adds up and is again out of sync.
would be cool if i had a global delay compensation for the cv track in overbridge.