Overbridge FX audio routing

Greetings Earthlings,

So I recently discovered that it is possible to record effects via Overbridge. Basically what I am doing is:

1. I have a Digitone and Digitakt Main output going into an A4 MKII (using stereo splitters).
  2. A4 has the input channels up 100%, this allows me to use the A4 as an effects unit for the DN and DT, especially as it has a sequencer for delay effects.
  3. Each device is connected via Overbridge to Ableton
  4. For each device, disable sending audio tracks to Main Channel Output. Only allow Send FX to be sent via the main channel.
  5. Then in Ableton for Digitakt, 1 Master Track, which only has the Send FX (delay & reverb), but because this is being routed to the A4, this master track is MUTED, and then each of the 8 individual tracks with no FX applied.
  6. Same for Digitone, 1 Master Track (FX) but MUTED. Each 4 tracks are with no FX
  7. The A4 Master track is the FX tracks combined (A4 FX + DT FX + DN FX), and this is UNMUTED. The 4 other individual synth tracks of the A4 are also in the Ableton project.

So what you basically have in Ableton are these tracks:

-> 1. A4 Master FX track (DT fx + DN fx + A4 fx)
-> 2-5. A4 tracks (no fx)
-> 6. DN Master FX track (muted)
-> 7-10. DN tracks (no fx)
-> 11. DT Master FX track (muted)
-> 12-19. DT tracks (no fx)

In theory I thought this would have worked, and it does, but not completely, it sounds off, its hard to describe, but it clearly isn’t what I had without overbridge.

Does anyone have any tips regarding this? I was thinking maybe the latency difference between the analog path and the usb path is too large?

1 Like

Something to keep in mind I’m working through to fix how things sound ‘different’ with OB is keeping in mind that the DT main outs that are now just the send fx should be affected by the compressor, and if the compressor is listening to LR it’ll only be listening to the send fx and won’t react/sound the same. Disabling the compressor might be necessary. I was considering compressing everything or in sub groups live so I still get the feel during the performance. It’s not perfect but that’s my idea so far. Also, the DN mains should be the only tracks going through the master distortion if it’s enabled, if I’m not mistaken. This will alter how everything sounds if they are active. Also, so far (for me at least) the fx sent out the mains are significantly louder than the individual tracks when recorded with overbridge, but I don’t think that applies much to your situation since you’re altering the fx live anyway and will have to rebalance them regardless.

If you’re not using the compressor or master distortion, it should be possible to get a near identical mix via individual overbridge tracks as would typically be sent out the mains when not using OB, minus whatever changes you’re making in the A4. The latency thing is weird, people are saying all sorts of different stuff like disabling latency compensation in Ableton, etc…I’m not sure what to say about your particular situation. But I would start by making a very simple pattern on the dt and dn, no compressor, no master distortion, send the fx as you were to the A4 BUT don’t alter them, just let them pass on through. That should in theory sound correct, so I’d be curious if it doesn’t, how would you describe the difference? Or, is it purely a timing offset?