Overbridge FAQ, Tips & Tricks

Is it possible, using OB, to to start/stop playback in my DAW using the transport buttons on my Elektron? And if yes, how?

I see that there are a few Ableton templates available for OB and the DT, and A4 at the beginning of that topic. Does anyone have a similar one for the Syntakt? If not, Iā€™ll try to make my own at some point and share it here.

Anyone know if it is possible to start recording two different stand alone apps (in my case Digitakt and Syntakt) simultaneously? Would make it easier when aligning the tracks in a DAW if it is.

BTW, the reasons not to use the plugins to begin with for me are:

1. I like using the Play/Stop buttons on the devices instead of the DAW
  2. Hitting Stop in a DAW causes the recording to stop along with the devices transport which I donā€™t want (cuts off FX tails for example)
  3. I like the tracks saved nice and tidy in a folder independent of wherever the DAW is saving files

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s possible with the standalone apps but if you remove the Sync/Transport duties from the OB plugins and sync your devices with a midi cable you can start/stop them simultaneously from one of them and not with DAW transport, making it possible to record fx tails and have the recordings aligned perfectly.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about going that routeā€¦ maybe thatā€™s easier than aligning the Digitakt and Syntakt files after recording and can just copy the files to another clean folder away from the DAW for safe keeping before doing anything in the DAW - I like knowing I have the original untouched files safe and sound somewhere. Iā€™ll try it - thnx.

1 Like

Seconding @alechko. Iā€™ve been doing this for years now and itā€™s a game changer. Having control on your Master device (for me, itā€™s DT) is a huge plus in my workflow.

2 Likes

what DAW are you using? Live is nondestructive afaik to recordings, even if you consolidate or freeze/flatten you will always have your original recordings stored under the Samples/Recorded subfolder of a temp or saved project, unless you donā€™t delete them while saving or abandoning a project.

one more thing you can do is keep the transport from DAW and mute/unmute channels or the track volumes to bring in/out music, if you go into mute mode you can just mute everything at the beginning of a recording and start transport, then unmute after a bar or two, and at the end you can mute the remaining tracks and have the tails still be recorded.

I use Live mainly, but sometimes Logic for funsies. Iā€™m just paranoid likely from my Cubase days many moons ago haha.

Is there a way I can still control the volume of individual tracks on my Syntakt when using Overbridge in Ableton?

Routing: I donā€™t use OB as an audio interface because I still want to record inputs from my audio interface. So Iā€˜ve setup a MIDI track with OB plugin and some audio channels that get their input from track 1/2/3 etc. of the MIDI track with OB plugin. Works great, but the volume of the audio tracks donā€™t reflect the settings or changes on ST anymore.

I donā€™t need to use OB for automation or anything, so it thereā€™s a way of just getting single track audio over USB into individual Ableton tracks without OB, Iā€˜m open for that.

from the mixer or track amp?

something like this?

no way on the digis except hard panning tracks left/right and using every out as a mono channel, but if you have reverb it would be still going stereo

1 Like

Mixer is tied to track volume which is blocked by OB. But Iā€˜m using amp volume now, works fine. Thanks for the heads up! Good to know I can connect a Faderfox to Ableton and use track levels that donā€™t reflect pattern changes, could also be useful in certain situations.

1 Like